DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #6,061 of 10,535
Yep. This was an experiment I ran on myself. If I couldn't be sure I heard a difference with Silver/1%Gold alloy, I would quit buying expensive conductors.

But I definitely hear a difference. I wouldn't call it out-right better, as that depends on your tastes, but it does sound different.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #6,062 of 10,535
Yep. This was an experiment I ran on myself. If I couldn't be sure I heard a difference with Silver/1%Gold alloy, I would quit buying expensive conductors.

But I definitely hear a difference. I wouldn't call it out-right better, as that depends on your tastes, but it does sound different.

Welcome to my world, as I keep saying, authentic and quality materials in wires do make differences. Hence, different flavor and is one of the way to tune and improve your own system. Only, counterfeit and unknown source of wires do not bring about changes. I always hear the differences from different quality and authentic materials. To my ears, I like silver/gold a lot :)

However, the better the materials, the more expensive it is. On the bright side, experiences is truly priceless :)

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #6,063 of 10,535
This may seem like a daft question but is it possible to use an IEM balanced cable (my Sony MUC-M20BL1) with full size headphones such as the HD650?

And if so, is it also possible to join an MMCX (female) connector to a HD650 (male) connector in some way?

My thinking is that it could work as an adapter so I don't need to make a whole new cable. I already have the cable above, just need it to connect to my HD650 somehow.

Sorry if that's a stupid question. :hugging:

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #6,064 of 10,535
hey

as long as you have the right connectors and pinouts
why not, im in the process of getting as many headphones to use the
same cables the hd650 is a problem....

first idea a stud using a barrel connector from lunashops
required some drilling and soldering connector to connector
works ok but cable hits you in the shoulder  

so i came up with a pigtail

acrolink plugs, 2.5mm trs connectors, covered i adhesive shrink
super comfortable works great

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #6,066 of 10,535
  Hi
Quick question about solder
Does it really make a difference to the soun when using silver solder? (Cardas) or is it just fine with 60/40 solder?

I have used a lot of different combinations of solder, 60/40, silver solder, Rohs compliant and if there is anyone who can hear an audible difference I would like to meet them and shake their hand. When you solder and use connectors with solder lugs, the wire itself should come in contact with the lugs and the solder is there to maintain the connection. When connectors have solder cups, I can see where there is less chance the wire can make physical contact with the connection so it may be a little bit more important in those connections but...if you get the chance, try both and if you can consistently tell the difference more power to you.(I am trying to stay away from the term "double blind testing" but it would be about the only way someone would convince me they could hear a difference.)

I do not always rely on what I hear and I have never been able to measure a difference. One word of caution though, if you use lead based solder on a consistent basis, wash your hands after soldering especially before eating. Lead is a cumulative poison and it is feasible to get lead powder on your hands when soldering. It is also a good idea to have a small fan blowing solder fumes away from you or even invest in a small filtration system if you solder a lot. (approximately $50.)

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #6,067 of 10,535
  I have used a lot of different combinations of solder, 60/40, silver solder, Rohs compliant and if there is anyone who can hear an audible difference I would like to meet them and shake their hand. When you solder and use connectors with solder lugs, the wire itself should come in contact with the lugs and the solder is there to maintain the connection. When connectors have solder cups, I can see where there is less chance the wire can make physical contact with the connection so it may be a little bit more important in those connections but...if you get the chance, try both and if you can consistently tell the difference more power to you.(I am trying to stay away from the term "double blind testing" but it would be about the only way someone would convince me they could hear a difference.)

I do not always rely on what I hear and I have never been able to measure a difference. One word of caution though, if you use lead based solder on a consistent basis, wash your hands after soldering especially before eating. Lead is a cumulative poison and it is feasible to get lead powder on your hands when soldering. It is also a good idea to have a small fan blowing solder fumes away from you or even invest in a small filtration system if you solder a lot. (approximately $50.)

Thanks for the information mate, I will go with the 60/40 Stannol solder wire I got at work.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #6,068 of 10,535
  Thanks for the information mate, I will go with the 60/40 Stannol solder wire I got at work.

The 60/40 melts well compared to some of the lead free solder I have used. I have also used some expensive crimp on connectors that use no solder. Once again I cannot hear an audible difference but some swear by them, 

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #6,069 of 10,535
hey

as long as you have the right connectors and pinouts
why not, im in the process of getting as many headphones to use the
same cables the hd650 is a problem....

first idea a stud using a barrel connector from lunashops
required some drilling and soldering connector to connector
works ok but cable hits you in the shoulder  

so i came up with a pigtail

acrolink plugs, 2.5mm trs connectors, covered i adhesive shrink
super comfortable works great

Hey thanks, yeah I just wasn't sure if the Sony cable would be too thin or something, just never made any cables so wasn't sure if that was an issue.

Would you have any idea what the "right connectors and pinouts" would be in my case? I'm guessing the HD650 connectors are all the same, however I've noticed a few different types of female MMCX connectors so not sure what would be best for this particular adapter.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #6,070 of 10,535
Ok so I've done some research into joining a female MMCX to a HD650 connector and starting to get a better understanding of it.

From the guide on this thread it mentions for an MMCX the pins on the shell = ground and the centre pin = signal.

And on the HD650 connector the large pin = ground, small pin = signal.

So a few questions I have are...

1) How exactly should I connect the two? Use some kind of wire or any other suggestions?

2) Is lunashops a good place to order these connectors?

3) Do I need some sort of shield/casing like in the first above pic from head-fier Arty McGee?

4) Is there any chance I could potentially break either my headphones or amp? I'm guessing this is where a multimeter comes into the picture?

Sorry for the noob questions, never done anything like this before so just making sure I'm understanding everything correctly. Thanks guys!

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #6,071 of 10,535
Ok so I've done some research into joining a female MMCX to a HD650 connector and starting to get a better understanding of it.

From the guide on this thread it mentions for an MMCX the pins on the shell = ground and the centre pin = signal.

1) How exactly should I connect the two? Use some kind of wire or any other suggestions?

3) Do I need some sort of shield/casing like in the first above pic from head-fier Arty McGee?

4) Is there any chance I could potentially break either my headphones or amp? I'm guessing this is where a multimeter comes into the picture?

Sorry for the noob questions, never done anything like this before so just making sure I'm understanding everything correctly. Thanks guys!
I would definitely have wire in between just to reduce stress myself. You can do it either way but I just think the less stress on the plugs would be the best.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #6,072 of 10,535

Sorry for the noob questions, never done anything like this before so just making sure I'm understanding everything correctly. Thanks guys

i found it best to use 4-5 inches of wire, i use mogami 2799 internals sleeve in paracord, its very soft and flexible
lunashops is good there prices are very reasonable there selection is great shipping is 2-3 weeks depending on where you live
you don't need special casing, i use 3:1 adhesive shrink, does a nice job holding everything together
i don't think there's much chance of ruining your stuff but as always a multimeter is you friend, i check connections throughout the processs

these small connectors are hard to solder, you want to use a fine tip iron and buy some extra connectors just in case

good luck

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #6,073 of 10,535
I would definitely have wire in between just to reduce stress myself. You can do it either way but I just think the less stress on the plugs would be the best.

i found it best to use 4-5 inches of wire, i use mogami 2799 internals sleeve in paracord, its very soft and flexible
lunashops is good there prices are very reasonable there selection is great shipping is 2-3 weeks depending on where you live
you don't need special casing, i use 3:1 adhesive shrink, does a nice job holding everything together
i don't think there's much chance of ruining your stuff but as always a multimeter is you friend, i check connections throughout the processs

these small connectors are hard to solder, you want to use a fine tip iron and buy some extra connectors just in case

good luck

Awesome, thanks guys!

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #6,074 of 10,535
dt880smile.png

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #6,075 of 10,535
So I was looking at the Furutech FT-2PS connectors for the HD650. These are quite expensive at $60 AUD for a pair. Is there any real perceivable difference compared to a cheaper pair that costs $10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back