DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6,017 of 10,535
  I have no problem buying to US ellers, but Amazon won't send much of those products. But Paracord Galaxy and a lot of others does, so for me it is more about finding the appropiate product than were to buy it.

I see. Luckily there are a lot of sellers so you should be able to find what you want.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #6,020 of 10,535
  Just ordered a bunch of stuff to try my first DIY - thanks for the info everyone, we'll see how this goes!

My work has kept me from contributing much lately but there are plenty of experienced folks on this thread who can help.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #6,021 of 10,535
Okay, first post after lurking and finding some info on DIY cables - 400 pages is alot, and i'm pretty sure the info i'm looking for is somewhere hidden in here, and most of my questions i already found answers.

Now i want to make a cable for my hd650, i bought 24awg cable, PTFE and silver coated copper, paracord 100, some hd650 connectors from ebay/china.
What i'm missing is the 6,3mm connector and/or balanced out (will make both cables, likely). Not sure what to get, any recommendations of something that looks good and is available in europe? (but not too expensive for my first cable). also heatshrinks, for the connector sides and the Y splitter in the middle (likely getting viablue splitter) - i have no idea what size i should get and what shrinking factor i should get. also with glue, without? no idea.

anything else i'm missing for this, that i forgot?

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #6,022 of 10,535
Okay, first post after lurking and finding some info on DIY cables - 400 pages is alot, and i'm pretty sure the info i'm looking for is somewhere hidden in here, and most of my questions i already found answers.

Now i want to make a cable for my hd650, i bought 24awg cable, PTFE and silver coated copper, paracord 100, some hd650 connectors from ebay/china.
What i'm missing is the 6,3mm connector and/or balanced out (will make both cables, likely). Not sure what to get, any recommendations of something that looks good and is available in europe? (but not too expensive for my first cable). also heatshrinks, for the connector sides and the Y splitter in the middle (likely getting viablue splitter) - i have no idea what size i should get and what shrinking factor i should get. also with glue, without? no idea.

Just make a balanced cable and a adapter. I'm sure you can get Neutrik connectors over there. They are rugged and inexpensive. The heat shrink is measured flat across . I'm going with adhesive next time I would advise the same for you. 2:1 is fine for most things 3:1 if you are going to cover the back of a plug and wires 2:1 prolly work most of the time.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #6,023 of 10,535

As Buke said Neutrik is a good choice and should be in other countries. Amphenol also makes some vary good product and you might find their 1/4 inch connectors (6.3mm) in your area. 3M makes a lot of heat shrink tubing. The thin wall adhesive type would be great for your application, stay away from thick wall or double wall, that is out there as well and it can get a little bulky and add extra weight. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #6,024 of 10,535
Is this the thread to find someone who can make me a custom cable?

Cheers

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #6,026 of 10,535
Why not make it yourself? It is really not that hard and it is a fun project. You will like the cable even more when you have made it yourself!

I don't have a soldering iron and never done anything like that before. And I assume ordering parts would be a hassle too since I live in Australia and would have to ship everything. On the other hand it would be handy to know how to go about it at least I could consider it. Are there any good video guides?

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #6,027 of 10,535
I don't have a soldering iron and never done anything like that before. And I assume ordering parts would be a hassle too since I live in Australia and would have to ship everything. On the other hand it would be handy to know how to go about it at least I could consider it. Are there any good video guides?

Well, I'm in the making of my first cable. I live in Sweden and ordered everything from US and China. Had an old soldering iron at home. Took some time to watch some soldering videos and then got to work. It is not hard but very rewarding.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #6,028 of 10,535
Well, I'm in the making of my first cable. I live in Sweden and ordered everything from US and China. Had an old soldering iron at home. Took some time to watch some soldering videos and then got to work. It is not hard but very rewarding.

Turns out my mates got a soldering iron. How much did everything cost you to make a cable? I've emailed Zach from bestintheverse cables but the price is getting up there... so far $140 USD including shipping to Australia for an 8ft balanced cable. Alternatively I found a cheap balanced cable from customcans for less than half that price.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #6,029 of 10,535

Turns out my mates got a soldering iron. How much did everything cost you to make a cable? I've emailed Zach from bestintheverse cables but the price is getting up there... so far $140 USD including shipping to Australia for an 8ft balanced cable. Alternatively I found a cheap balanced cable from customcans for less than half that price.

It depends on the materials. What headphones are they for? Do you want to braid cable, or is a thinker cable, like that on the Breyer T1, ok? Do you want a nylon sleeve? Many questions to be answered.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #6,030 of 10,535
It depends on the materials. What headphones are they for? Do you want to braid cable, or is a thinker cable, like that on the Breyer T1, ok? Do you want a nylon sleeve? Many questions to be answered.

Im just realising how crazy some of these prices are just for materials. I was on the phone to a guy who sells furutech stuff, he used to sell Viablue but doesn't anymore. Says that Viablue are not very good because it's made from brass and they don't sound good. Wouldn't my stock hd650 cable be brass too? I'm confused on what I should be considering for connectors now and not keen on spending more on cables than what my 650's cost me that's for sure.

Edit: I'm after something like these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back