DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,071 of 10,535
What material/places to buy would you use for good flexible memory wire for IEMs? I'm in the midst of redoing a IEM connector so I thought I might also add a better memory wire to it. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #5,072 of 10,535
  What material/places to buy would you use for good flexible memory wire for IEMs? I'm in the midst of redoing a IEM connector so I thought I might also add a better memory wire to it. 

Great question, I'd like to know myself. At some point, I'd like to make some cables for my Sure SE535s. Thinking of using Gotham GAC-4, maybe 3 feet long or shorter with modular termination for when I need a longer cable.

Possibly dual use for my Shure 1540 (until I sell them as they have not seen use since the Ether C came into my life).

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #5,073 of 10,535
I'm pondering attempting to build 4-5 cables of various lengths for my HE-560, HE-400i & HD-700 headphones which are *all* 2x 2.5mm to 3.5mm or ¼" terminations. 

Am I nuts?
My biggest concern: it's been 20 years since I've soldered anything and rarely done much precision stripping.. The 3.5 look difficult and the 2.5 look very difficult to solder and the expertise in stripping the wires looks like it could take me through 20' of skill up times.

Are my eyes bigger then my abilities will likely be? Is there a better way to get started? (RCA cables?) 

Tools: Wrong choice or something missing?
Sobering Station & Tips: Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station with Chisel Tip Pack
Solder: Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 66/44 0.80mm(0.31 inches) 1 lb. Spool
Wire Cutters:Hakko CHP-170 Micro Soft Wire Cutter
Soder sucker:  Electronix Express 060820- Solder Sucker Desoldering Pump
Wire strippers: I have some that I've used for household DIY, but nothing this fine grained, any helpful suggestions? Or am I good to go?
Pliers, small screw drivers, tweezers, etc. are already in my shop.

Parts:
Wire: Mogami w2799 (how much do I need for a 8' long cable?)
Term to amp: Ebay
2x term to cups: Eidolic 2.5mm Mono Headphone Plug (anything less then $20 each??)

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #5,074 of 10,535
  I'm pondering attempting to build 4-5 cables of various lengths for my HE-560, HE-400i & HD-700 headphones which are *all* 2x 2.5mm to 3.5mm or ¼" terminations. 

Am I nuts?
My biggest concern: it's been 20 years since I've soldered anything and rarely done much precision stripping.. The 3.5 look difficult and the 2.5 look very difficult to solder and the expertise in stripping the wires looks like it could take me through 20' of skill up times.

Are my eyes bigger then my abilities will likely be? Is there a better way to get started? (RCA cables?) 

Sobering Station & Tips: Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station with Chisel Tip Pack
Wire strippers: I have some that I've used for household DIY, but nothing this fine grained, any helpful suggestions? Or am I good to go?

Parts:
2x term to cups: Eidolic 2.5mm Mono Headphone Plug (anything less then $20 each??)

I soldered rarely, and then I built a BottleHead Crack. Now I make my own cables, and I think I do pretty well. Learn to tin wire, strip, and clean your iron tips after each solder. 

The iron you have picked is pretty damn nice. Overkill for the part time user. This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Stahl-Tools-SSVT-Temperature-Soldering/dp/B0029N70WM

takes a few minutes to warm up, but it works well. I also got a set of tips, helping hands, and this is a must:
Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA

I would say practice with some relatively inexpensive wire you might have about. Make some RCA interconnects. 

As for how much wire you need, well that depends on how you build the cable. If you braid it, you'll need more. If you just sleeve it, then 8 feet.

Oh, you should get some heat shrink as well. A heat gun is good too. You can get one for ~$10 from amazon or harbor freight.

as for connectors, I used these for my PMx2 (same as what you need):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161907729977
Picture shows 8, but you get 10.
They are a little difficult to solder, but they are thin. They have no inherent strain relief, so I just used heatshrink. 

Hope this helps. 

Also, where in Co are you? I'm just south, in enchanting New Mexico!

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #5,075 of 10,535

Am I nuts?

Parts:

Third hands are a must.
If you are getting older like I am, magnification, I've got a cheap lighted magnifier I wear on my head. It's the only way I can see those tiny solder spots.
I'm using a cheap automatic stripper, like $3 cheap. Seems to work ok, no nicked wires so far.
Flux.
Whatever is needed to remove the flux.

Smart ass alert: you need 8 feet of cable to make an 8 foot cable.
L3000.gif

I know, you are probably going to braid it, so I don't know, sorry.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #5,076 of 10,535

I soldered rarely, and then I built a BottleHead Crack. Now I make my own cables, and I think I do pretty well. Learn to tin wire, strip, and clean your iron tips after each solder. 

The iron you have picked is pretty damn nice. Overkill for the part time user. This is the one I got:

takes a few minutes to warm up, but it works well. I also got a set of tips, helping hands, and this is a must:
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA

I would say practice with some relatively inexpensive wire you might have about. Make some RCA interconnects. 

As for how much wire you need, well that depends on how you build the cable. If you braid it, you'll need more. If you just sleeve it, then 8 feet.

Oh, you should get some heat shrink as well. A heat gun is good too. You can get one for ~$10 from amazon or harbor freight.

They are a little difficult to solder, but they are thin. They have no inherent strain relief, so I just used heatshrink. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the pointer on the iron and suggestion for practice. A HUGE thank you for the connector pointer! Any suggestion on "inexpensive wire" for RCA cables? 

I'm south of Denver; I think I saw you in passing at the Denver meet up last year at the library. My very first meet of any kind; I was shy & overwhelmed by the volume of cool gear and amazing DIY amps, cables, mods, etc.. Did you ever find that water bottle? 

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #5,077 of 10,535

Third hands are a must.
If you are getting older like I am, magnification, I've got a cheap lighted magnifier I wear on my head. It's the only way I can see those tiny solder spots.
I'm using a cheap automatic stripper, like $3 cheap. Seems to work ok, no nicked wires so far.
Flux.
Whatever is needed to remove the flux.

Smart ass alert: you need 8 feet of cable to make an 8 foot cable.
L3000.gif

I know, you are probably going to braid it, so I don't know, sorry.

Good catch! I definitely need the 3rd hands. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #5,078 of 10,535

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the pointer on the iron and suggestion for practice. A HUGE thank you for the connector pointer! Any suggestion on "inexpensive wire" for RCA cables? 

I'm south of Denver; I think I saw you in passing at the Denver meet up last year at the library. My very first meet of any kind; I was shy & overwhelmed by the volume of cool gear and amazing DIY amps, cables, mods, etc.. Did you ever find that water bottle? 

Never found it. :frowning2:

I get many of my items from markertek. They have good prices and free shipping. 

Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Microphone Cable by the Foot is good
Mogami W2534 Neglex Quad Microphone Cable

Canare L-2T2S Audio Cable Black is good for two wire needs. I would start with this.

Another fun cable to make is a female 4 pin XLR to male TRS 1/4". Use quad cable for that.

Also, I used YouTube to learn about stuff all the time. Tinning and soldering are well covered there.

Oh, a multi-meter is very important, or some way to check on continuity. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #5,079 of 10,535
One more thing I highly recommend. A wire stripper that can go as low as 26awg.

I got this one from Parts Express for $5 + shipping
http://www.parts-express.com/7-in-1-wire-stripper-crimper-26-16-awg--360-632

I also had to use the crimper part when I made MrSpeakers cables. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #5,080 of 10,535
As someone who's just done simple headphone mods (putting panelmount RCA or 1/8" F connectors in headphones to replace a broken cable) how realistic do you think it would be for me to make a new cable for my Shure SE535? I've looked into it a little but can't seem to find anything but crimp connectors for RF use on the MMCX connectors, would that work for an audio cable? 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #5,081 of 10,535
  As someone who's just done simple headphone mods (putting panelmount RCA or 1/8" F connectors in headphones to replace a broken cable) how realistic do you think it would be for me to make a new cable for my Shure SE535s? I've looked into it a little but can't seem to find anything but crimp connectors for RF use on the MMCX connectors, would that work for an audio cable? 

Do those use MMCX? 

This might help. Stuff lunashop sells for the SE535. I'm not sure it will work on the "s", but it might

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #5,082 of 10,535

Do those use MMCX? 

This might help. Stuff lunashop sells for the SE535. I'm not sure it will work on the "s", but it might

yes it's MMCX. and my mistake, it's the SE535, Have you used lunashop's cables? I want something of good quality (at least as good as the stock) that will last, preferably without the terrible memory wire that makes it impossible for me to wear these comfortably. I would like to get into cable making but starting with IEM cables just seems very difficult. Would it be worth me trying to make my own or just buy one premade?

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,083 of 10,535

Do those use MMCX? 

yes it's MMCX. and my mistake, it's the SE535, Have you used lunashop's cables? I want something of good quality (at least as good as the stock) that will last, preferably without the terrible memory wire that makes it impossible for me to wear these comfortably. I would like to get into cable making but starting with IEM cables just seems very difficult. Would it be worth me trying to make my own or just buy one premade?

I purchased some cheap cable from them, and it was cheap. I've also purchases some connectors, and they were decent quality. They aren't that expensive, but stuff can take a long time to get arrive since they literally use a slow boat from china (I think)

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,084 of 10,535
  I also need some help. 

I'm making up a few headphone cables for myself and I always liked the look for this clear heatshrink, but I have no idea what it is. It's much clearer, shiny, and almost thicker looking than anything else I've seen on eBay or whatever. Most clear heatshrink has a kind of cloudy look to it.

I think this is an old Norse (now Norne) Audio adaptor. 

In this picture it looks like there's a brown heatshrink base, then a layer of black, and finally the shiny, clear heatshrink. Do you agree that's what's going on or is there more to it? I'm also looking for some nice blue (not too light, not too dark) and some nice red (full bodied red, not weak looking, light matte red) heat shrink to put on each side and then under the clear heatshrink. Help appreciated in any recommendation of where to buy good quality, good coloured stuff. 

Then after that, I've bought some carbon fibre sleeving from DHC and want to put is around my 6 wire round weave, but I'm worried about how the little flaky fibres will come off. I'm wondering what I can wrap the wire bundle in that will stop them from rubbing the carbon fibre too much? I'm thinking a thin wrapping of teflon tap the whole length of the cable? Then I need to wrap the outside of the carbon fibre sleeving to stop the fibres from catching on the final nylon multifilament outer sleeving. Again, I'm thinking a thin wrapping of teflon tap the length of the cable?

I've never wrapped a cable in teflon tape before, so I'm not sure how much it's going to restrict the flexibility of the cable as whole. I'd like it to be as flexible as possible, as much as a 6 wire round braid can be anyway. If anyone has any experience with teflon tape or another idea, I'd love to know. 

2 Questions:
A. Where can I get fancy, clear heat shrink like on that adaptor? It looks thicker.
B. How can I insulate carbon fibre sleeving from rubbing too much on the wires and from the outer nylon multifilament jacket? I thought of using teflon tape. I don't want to add anything to make the cable too stiff.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #5,085 of 10,535
Making my very first cable ever for my HE-560 with 2 separate 2.5mm cup connectors and I need to figure out the various sizes of heat shrink to purchase for:
  • 2x 2.5mm connectors?
  • Y-split over 4-braid to 2x 2-braid
  • ¼" Connector
  • 3.5mm connector?
  • Braided Paracord over 26awg to connector

I believe I'll need very small diameter for the connectors to isolate within the connectors after soldering, but what size and where do I get clear?

For the stuff that can be seen outside the connectors, what diameters? 2:1 or 3:1?

The options exploring at http://www.avoutlet.com are massive! (except I cannot find clear there)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back