DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #4,156 of 10,535
  My chunk of Bolivian Rosewood for the split . Don't know if I should round it off or leave it squared off. What do you guys think?

Can you put a coin or something else to get the size of the chunk?

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,157 of 10,535
My chunk of Bolivian Rosewood for the split . Don't know if I should round it off or leave it squared off. What do you guys think?

I agree on the coin to see the scale, but I think it looks good with the top and bottom flat (if that's what you're referring to). Maybe tame the edges a bit with some sandpaper, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,158 of 10,535
A penny for scale.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4,159 of 10,535
I agree on the coin to see the scale, but I think it looks good with the top and bottom flat (if that's what you're referring to). Maybe tame the edges a bit with some sandpaper, but I wouldn't go further than that.

That's what I was thinking also. Thanks for the input.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #4,160 of 10,535
Holes drilled and test fit.I think I might thin it up a bit.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #4,161 of 10,535
  A penny for scale.

Just something up for debate here but wouldn't people generally want a smaller/ thinner y split? maybe it's just me  but it does add some considerable weight (to be fair my cables are always used for IEM not full sized cans) also the smaller it is...the less likely it gets tangled up on something? or is it just me again
PS i have no concept of how big a penny is unfortunately. but the wood oh mamma

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #4,162 of 10,535
  Just something up for debate here but wouldn't people generally want a smaller/ thinner y split? maybe it's just me  but it does add some considerable weight (to be fair my cables are always used for IEM not full sized cans) also the smaller it is...the less likely it gets tangled up on something? or is it just me again
PS i have no concept of how big a penny is unfortunately. but the wood oh mamma

A penny is about 19 mm. This is for headphones and not IEM's. Yes I want to thin it up some. It weighs 7.44 grams as is. The size is just about right just a little bit thinner would be better.For IEM's I agree smaller would be better. After cutting this one out I have a new design option for the next one.

I am going to leave the top as is and cut the bottom straight . If anyone wants to know what the line is it is a nick in mt joiner planer knife. I think this will be nice.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #4,165 of 10,535
The weight should be fine man. Look at this Viablue.

Thanks . I didn't think the weight was a problem either. I plan on thinning it up just a bit but it is ok just as is.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #4,166 of 10,535
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,167 of 10,535
Aug 30, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,168 of 10,535
Hey guys, I have a question. I have a pair of 2 conductors(?) cable that I got from my speakers. Planning to solder one end of both of them to one 6.3mm TRS connector(so that means L, R, ground for both L and R) to the speakers. Good or bad idea? They are passive speakers and I'm only doing this as a first step before I buy a speaker amp.

P.S : Yes, I know it's kind of a silly question lol.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4,169 of 10,535
  Hey guys, I have a question. I have a pair of 2 conductors(?) cable that I got from my speakers. Planning to solder one end of both of them to one 6.3mm TRS connector(so that means L, R, ground for both L and R) to the speakers. Good or bad idea? They are passive speakers and I'm only doing this as a first step before I buy a speaker amp.

P.S : Yes, I know it's kind of a silly question lol.

If you're using speakers with a speaker amp, why are you using a TRS plug?  Maybe I'm missing something, but please give more details about what you're trying to achieve.

If you're just driving your speakers, simply hook them up to your amp (banana plugs are great, if your gear accepts them).

Are you planning to drive headphones with your speaker amp?  If so, you can make a simple speaker tap adapter where one "end" (four separate "wires") connects to the amp, just like with speakers, while the other "end" is soldered to a female TRS adapter.  I just made one of those using a Neutrik adapter, but it would be nigh impossible to get speaker wires through the strain relief part of the boot.  I used four wires from some Mogami W2799 (so, quite thin) sleeved in 95 lbs paracord, and it was a tight enough squeeze to get those four through the boot.

So, why are you using the TRS plug?

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,170 of 10,535

If you're using speakers with a speaker amp, why are you using a TRS plug?  Maybe I'm missing something, but please give more details about what you're trying to achieve.

If you're just driving your speakers, simply hook them up to your amp (banana plugs are great, if your gear accepts them).

Are you planning to drive headphones with your speaker amp?  If so, you can make a simple speaker tap adapter where one "end" (four separate "wires") connects to the amp, just like with speakers, while the other "end" is soldered to a female TRS adapter.  I just made one of those using a Neutrik adapter, but it would be nigh impossible to get speaker wires through the strain relief part of the boot.  I used four wires from some Mogami W2799 (so, quite thin) sleeved in 95 lbs paracord, and it was a tight enough squeeze to get those four through the boot.

So, why are you using the TRS plug?

Ah yes, I guess I should explain more. Sorry about that.

I am using this with a desktop amp that is designed for headphones. My friend, the one who made it guaranteed that it should be enough to drive my speakers(albeit up to a certain level), because he had tried before with his speaker sets.

So I need the TRS connector to solder all the 4 ends(2 for each side) in the configuration similar to headphones do, which is L, R , Ground(for both sides). This TRS jack will then be connected to the amp out, which the place where my usual headphones go to. The other out the amp has is the DAC out, so not gonna use that.

I don't have a speaker amp atm, but will probably buy if this amp of mine can't drive the speakers well. Hope this clears everything up. Too tired to think straight now lol. Will continue tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back