DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,811 of 10,535
  This one should be somewhat simple.  Just looking to add a little strain relief to my earbuds.

I have circled what I am talking about.

Would some heat shrink tape be best?  I do not have any tools at home.  Just a lighter.  Not sure if that would work.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a suggestion.

You could apply some hot glue (as in those hot glue guns type). I used to do that in the past with the el-cheapo $5 earbuds, and they did work in prolonging the lifespan a bit. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,812 of 10,535

You could apply some hot glue (as in those hot glue guns type). I used to do that in the past with the el-cheapo $5 earbuds, and they did work in prolonging the lifespan a bit. 

That is a good idea as well!  Thanks!  

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,813 of 10,535

Don't say that, I seriously thought about it but ended up thininking it would look aweful.

Just offset the connectors by 30-45° so that the plugs stick out ala Audeze and you'll be fine. RCAs aren't that much bigger that mini-xlrs...

Doesn't Oppo PM-1/2 use dual mono?

They do, but Oppo cables aren't exactly cheap...

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,817 of 10,535

They do, but Oppo cables aren't exactly cheap...

Yeah but you can search eBay for cheap Oppo replacement cables, etc...

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,822 of 10,535
My Klipsch s5i have the 3rd tip segment loose. That little piece was always pulling out and I had to use pliers to pull the protruding metal sticking from the jack, then shove it back into the plug. After a couple times, it had started to cut out in one of my ears and I figured out that I could bend or pinch the plug, but I can't do that all day. Can I use something to keep it pinched, because I don't feel comfortable doing anything inside this thin cord that has those in-line control wires.

Also, I really want to get my Monoprice IEMs modded with a cable that doesn't tangle like crazy. I went and got some eartips from MEElectronics (and already lost one that popped off and looked all over for it). I could buy some other brand, but that just leaves me with yet another lonely IEM (and there's no fun without DIY and hacking).

Lastly, my ATH-m50s got put i storage among lots of stuff (its tip also pulled out and even got itself lost), so its headband is very slightly twisted. Not sure if anyone knows of something cool I could do if I'm willing to tear these up.

I created a thread, but wasn't sure whether or not to post in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761304/gotta-fix-a-couple-iems-and-other

Thanks in advance if anyone can respond.

Hoping to figure out what sound signature I prefer so I can buy some more expensive headphones, so I'll look around what shops my town has.
I also gotta fix this darn Sansa Clip+ volume button. See if I'll borrow my dad's soldering iron until I get my own.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,823 of 10,535
reg S5i, cld you pls post a picture of the jack? looks like the 3.5mm jack needs a replacement.....Monoprice can be fixed/re-cabled using a cheap pair's cable if you are on tight budget,as the IEM price is merely $10......

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,824 of 10,535
Hi guys,

For a balanced interconnect cable (dual XLR from DAC to Amp), do you guys know if I need M/M or M/F or F/F and do you know the proper pinouts?  Is it just 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, shield to ground?

Thx!

EDIT - Looks like it's M/F.  Now I just need to know if I need to do anything funky with the pinouts.

Oh and can anyone recommend a paracord wrap for the Canare cable if I'm not stripping out the wires, just using it as is?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #3,825 of 10,535
  Hi guys,

For a balanced interconnect cable (dual XLR from DAC to Amp), do you guys know if I need M/M or M/F or F/F and do you know the proper pinouts?  Is it just 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, shield to ground?

Thx!

EDIT - Looks like it's M/F.  Now I just need to know if I need to do anything funky with the pinouts.

Oh and can anyone recommend a paracord wrap for the Canare cable if I'm not stripping out the wires, just using it as is?

1: Shield
2: + (non-inverted signal)
3: - (inverted signal)

yes wire 1-1, 2-2, 3-3

The casing for the xlr connector will usually also have a solder tab, better to leave this disconnected IMO.

More than you ever wanted to know about balanced connections. http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back