DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #3,181 of 10,535
I have 4 arms coming with mine, I don't need a magnifying glass. 2 big clamps and 2 small clamps. I solder a couple days a week :)

Indeed, so for you the investment (40-50$?) makes sense. For me, not so much. Maybe, if the modding/cabling bug catches me too, I might upgrade, but (like you) I think I would uprgrade my third hands before I would upgrade the soldering iron.

It's like with all tools. For working on my motorcycle. My tools are pretty good for an amateur, but not as good as the Snap-On my mechanic uses. He uses them every day, though, and I use my tools maybe once every two months. For that, they are more than sufficient.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #3,182 of 10,535
I totally understand that. It doesn't make sense to upgrade something that works just fine when you use them occasionally. Obviously if you use an OK tool everyday it would make sense to upgrade and save yourself some hassle. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #3,183 of 10,535
Indeed, I can imagine you will enjoy your work even more with that Sparkfun.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,184 of 10,535
For those who can't justify buying a good helping hands (skip the cheap ones; not worth it), a small drill press vice is a decent alternative. It's heavy and clamps hard enough for anything you'd need to do (put a layer of hot glue on the edges if you don't want to scratch your projects), and if you stick a couple bricks or books underneath then you can even run lengths of wire up from the bottom for better placement and access.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,185 of 10,535
For those who can't justify buying a good helping hands (skip the cheap ones; not worth it), a small drill press vice is a decent alternative. It's heavy and clamps hard enough for anything you'd need to do (put a layer of hot glue on the edges if you don't want to scratch your projects), and if you stick a couple bricks or books underneath then you can even run lengths of wire up from the bottom for better placement and access.

Do you have a link for the vice you are recommending?

I have this mounted at the short end of my workbench, mind you its for woodworking projects:
http://www.rockler.com/9-quick-release-workbench-vise

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,186 of 10,535

Or you could go to the Sparkfun website, buy 'extra arms', take a piece of wood, drill some holes, stick the arms in...

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #3,187 of 10,535
Do you have a link for the vice you are recommending?

I have this mounted at the short end of my workbench, mind you its for woodworking projects:
http://www.rockler.com/9-quick-release-workbench-vise

Something much much smaller, like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-4-in-Drill-Press-Vise-BV-DP40/205023096
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

You can usually find them on sale for <$10.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #3,188 of 10,535
Jan 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3,189 of 10,535
  Just bought one of these Sparkfun Third Hands. I'm pretty excited about the upgrade, it's long overdue.

Anyone else using one of these? How do you like it? 

that thing is the schiit i can see me having one in the near future

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #3,191 of 10,535
Redco sells Canare and Mogami pretty cheaply, they ship from CT I think which is the East coast, but their prices on the actual product make up for the shipping costs you'll have to pay if you buy enough.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,192 of 10,535
Hello. I want to make a custom cable for my HD600 and i will use the quad mogami cable (can't remember number)
Questions:
1) I should "destroy" the cable just to get the 4 main cables, right?
2) Will the 3/16" sleeving be ok for all (4) cables? Is it going to be tight/loose? Should i use paracord instead?

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,193 of 10,535
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to make some RCA ICs to replace the store bought ones I have now. I picked out cable, but can't decide on the connectors. I looked at Viablue and Furutech, but their lowest price copper connectors are still $60 for 2 pair. Since I'll be making 3 sets of ICs, the cost adds up quickly. Can anyone suggest some less expensive connectors without going to brass cores? Thank you.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,194 of 10,535
  Hi everyone,
I'm looking to make some RCA ICs to replace the store bought ones I have now. I picked out cable, but can't decide on the connectors. I looked at Viablue and Furutech, but their lowest price copper connectors are still $60 for 2 pair. Since I'll be making 3 sets of ICs, the cost adds up quickly. Can anyone suggest some less expensive connectors without going to brass cores? Thank you.

Soniccraft has the Furutech OCC Gold plated RCA's at $21.50 a pair.. Slightly better than the price you quoted, if you want to stick with the Furutech. 

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/furutech-fp-126-rca-p-1771

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,195 of 10,535
Mine is a discarded iron from my younger brother (who is the technical wizard in our house), when he upgraded to something you seem to have. The soldering station I bought is a 48W adjustable with tempartures of 150-450 Celsius. And the third hands are the usual version. I checked out the Sparkfun website. Very nice. So you buy a baseplate with two arms and you can buy extra amrs and a fan and a maginfier, et cetera, separately? Good concept. A bit expensive for my modest soldering (I don't think I will solder more than once a month or so), but for you I can see that it's pretty much mandatory.

Pictures:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back