DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3,212 of 10,535
Does anyone know of a place in the US that sells HD558 2.5mm connectors? I don't really feel like waiting for them to ship from Luna. Thanks in advance.

Amazon.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #3,214 of 10,535
They aren't showing up there for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_26?ie=UTF8&k=sennheiser+replacement+cable&sprefix=sennheiser+replacement+cable

There's a bunch of em.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,218 of 10,535
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Male-Repair-Headphone-Jack-Plug-Audio-Soldering-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-/201160101592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed6138ed8

China is only place I've seen them.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,221 of 10,535
Does any 2.5mm fit the hp? Not sure if this guy would work, he looks kind of bulky, but cheap and comes from NY

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1798

I believe yes.....why/how? The stock ones have 4poles( just like balanced,L+,L-,R+,R-) but the after market cables have just 3 poles (conventional L+,R+ & common ground),like luna sells......so cld be senn shorted the fourth pole as common ground or the 4th pole is null/dummy/not used......

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3,223 of 10,535
Hi again all.

I have decided to make a new headphone cable for my AKG Q701, to have a more flexible cable.

23 gauge wire in a PTFE sleeve. How many wires would you guys recommend me braiding? 3,4,5 or 6? 

I also wonder which of these cables should be connected to the ground on the plugs. Or do you guys not ground the wires? I have no idea. 

Thanks for helping.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,224 of 10,535
  Hi again all.

I have decided to make a new headphone cable for my AKG Q701, to have a more flexible cable.

23 gauge wire in a PTFE sleeve. How many wires would you guys recommend me braiding? 3,4,5 or 6? 

I also wonder which of these cables should be connected to the ground on the plugs. Or do you guys not ground the wires? I have no idea. 

Thanks for helping.

I've made a couple cables for my Q701s.  Not sure about the wire gauge, but I used Mogami W2799 stripped to the four conductors, sleeved with 95-lbs (type 1, I guess) paracord from Paracord Planet, then braided in the round style.  The one I use now is made from type 2 Litz 100/46 (i.e., 100 strands, 46 AWG(?)), and the same paracord and braiding.

I use two conductors twisted together for the grounding.  Didn't have a problem getting it all into the Redco mini-XLR.  I use Neutrik NP3X plugs at the TRS end.

The most important thing to know about the AKGs are the reversed signal pins on the mini-XLRs.  You can verify this by testing the stock cable with a DMM.  I've posted in here about the pin outs on the mini-XLR, so I'll let you find it, and not misquote myself.  Just test continuity between the three female ends of the mini-XLR and the TRS.

Apologies if you already knew that, but it seems worth mentioning.

Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,225 of 10,535
  Hi again all.

Thanks for helping.

23awg wire in a ptfe sleeve is probably less flexible than stock
somewhere between stiff and not very flexible at all lol

my fave akg cable i use is 28 awg 3 conductor (any more is just for looks)
braided and sleeved in 550 paracord super flexible

a,good choice is mogami 2799 innards its a bit more flexible
i think you mean shielding when you say ground
the shaft wire is the ground and is necessary most of us remove the sheilding
and just use the inner conductors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back