DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #2,866 of 10,535

A DMM would save you from a lot of headaches in soldering works. Even a basic $10 DMM (or even analog MM, for that matter) is usable. It's used to easily find shorts, broken wires/connections, and polarities/channels. 

+1
I think I paid $5-$6 for my Mastech DMM @ Amazon.  One of the best fivers I ever spent.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,867 of 10,535
A DMM would save you from a lot of headaches in soldering works. Even a basic $10 DMM (or even analog MM, for that matter) is usable. It's used to easily find shorts, broken wires/connections, and polarities/channels. 

+10......not only/ even for DIY purposes but its a basic,must have, instrument just like we keep screw drivers/tools kit handy at home/in the garage......sometimes handy making crying child smile by buzzer sound(continuity check).....:wink: got my basic craftsman from circuitcity for $8.....:D

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,868 of 10,535
You can also get some pretty decent Fluke, uh... Look-alikes, for a good price. They'll last you much longer than the $5 units. I was getting the cheapo $5 for free from Harbor Freight with their coupon. After two broke in less than a few months, I stepped up. Glad I did. Much better functionality and accuracy. Although, the "look-alike" unit can't compare to a legit unit, it's close enough.

So, if you find yourself frustrated with the cheapo, there are other options.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,869 of 10,535
Thought the below link will be useful for those in need.......especially diy parts shipped thru china post.

http://track-chinapost.com/?p=435

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2,870 of 10,535
Does anybody know stereo plugs (mini 3,5mm or 6,35mm) that got a big cable hole? The hole where the cables/wires go inside. The biggest I could find is 8.5mm diameter, but that's not big enough. I'm guessing I'd need 1cm or maybe more diameter hole. 

The reason is because I want to use 4 strands of wires, with 1 strand is about 3mm in diameter.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,871 of 10,535
  Does anybody know stereo plugs (mini 3,5mm or 6,35mm) that got a big cable hole? The hole where the cables/wires go inside. The biggest I could find is 8.5mm diameter, but that's not big enough. I'm guessing I'd need 1cm or maybe more diameter hole. 

The reason is because I want to use 4 strands of wires, with 1 strand is about 3mm in diameter.

SwitchCraft 3.5mm connector barrels are bigger than most. The Amphenol 3.5mm and 6.35mm connectors both have larger holes if you don't use the small rubber things that come with them. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2,872 of 10,535
So I need a cable to connect 8 power supply wires from one chassis to another, any connector ideas?

Edit: I'm thinking of using 2 4pin XLR cables to do the trick

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,873 of 10,535
  SwitchCraft 3.5mm connector barrels are bigger than most. The Amphenol 3.5mm and 6.35mm connectors both have larger holes if you don't use the small rubber things that come with them. 

Amphenol and Switchcraft? I don't know if there are any in the local stores. I'll look into it. I could always order from ebay, I guess :)

Thank you.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,874 of 10,535
Amphenol and Switchcraft? I don't know if there are any in the local stores. I'll look into it. I could always order from ebay, I guess :)

Thank you.

Or order from Redco. They sell tons of connectors

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2,876 of 10,535

Thank you.

I order from Redco constantly. They ship quickly and their prices are dirt cheap. I have probably 10 Amphenol 3.5mm connectors in my parts drawer right now.

+1 for Redco.

Also, I like Mouser when they have what I'm after. Partsexpress occasionally, but shipping was annoying until they offered their new flat rate option.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,880 of 10,535
My Redco stuff ships from Connecticut.

Got a question re: the Switchcraft 35HDBAU vs. the 35HDBAUS.  Even Switchcraft's own site links to the same data sheet (http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/35hd_series_cd.pdf), but the product page (http://www.switchcraft.com/ProductSummary.aspx?Parent=427) lists this difference:

1. 3.5MM (1/8" mini) Stereo Plug, gold finger, black handle, 0.290" cable diameter
  2. 3.5MM (1/8" mini) Stereo Plug, gold finger, black handle, 0.175" cable diameter

I'm going to make a cable for the Philips X2s, and while I doubt I'll find a plug as small as the one they use, I'd like to get close.  The Switchcraft looks nice, isn't too expensive, and has a flat barrel top (where the plug comes out), as opposed to Rean and Amphenol, which are slightly tapered.  I have an Amphenol KS3PB-AU, so I've a good idea of the size.  The Switchcraft is about one millimeter wider, but I can live with that.

My question is about the overall diameter of the 35HDBAU vs. the 35HDBAUS.  I'd guess they use the same barrel, except the 35HDBAUS has a narrower opening.  But if its diameter is smaller, I'd be willing to give it a whirl.  I'll be using three wires from a Mogami W2799, sleeved in black and braided.  Heat shrink will have to hold it all in place, as I'm fairly certain the paracord will be left outside the housing.

Any thoughts?  Any other 3.5 mm plugs you'd recommend that are $10 or less?

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back