DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,883 of 10,535
Sorry in advance for the noob question. Is there any way, when ordering from mouser, to split the part for to projects in two different packs (I want them to ship together, but I want all the parts for one project in one envelope and all the parts for another project in another envelope)

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2,884 of 10,535
I wish to build my own self a Christmas present for once. Just want to know if this cable will do the trick for my AKG K702/65? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271650851723

My plan:
Cutting them into 7 line of equal length. 2 for left channel, 2 for right channel and 3 for the ground wire. 
Q: Should I just make it one for all? Will it make a difference? 

Using nice cable sleeve to sleeve the 3 up separately [left, right, ground respectively]. 

Will this work?

Thanks
Billson 

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,885 of 10,535
I wish to build my own self a Christmas present for once. Just want to know if this cable will do the trick for my AKG K702/65? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271650851723

My plan:
Cutting them into 7 line of equal length. 2 for left channel, 2 for right channel and 3 for the ground wire. 
Q: Should I just make it one for all? Will it make a difference? 

Using nice cable sleeve to sleeve the 3 up separately [left, right, ground respectively]. 

Will this work?

Thanks
Billson 

Well, you can use as such as its teflon coated and sleeve/sheath the wire.......and yes you can use 2 strands each for positive of both R and L and 3 strands for common ground.....you just need to mark them which goes where and check them correctly before and after soldering using a DMM or analog.....imo.

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,886 of 10,535
Well, you can use as such as its teflon coated and sleeve/sheath the wire.......and yes you can use 2 strands each for positive of both R and L and 3 strands for common ground.....you just need to mark them which goes where and check them correctly before and after soldering using a DMM or analog.....imo.

So I can immediately build a cable for my headphone without trouble using just that cable? Sleeving is optional in this case now right? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,887 of 10,535
So I can immediately build a cable for my headphone without trouble using just that cable? Sleeving is optional in this case now right? Thanks!

The sheath/sleeve is both for fancy looking and especially durabilty,tho its not a must and you can show off the transparent cable,shiny SP ofc cable w/o that........:wink: its all personal preference.

And Billy, I wld say you wait for some of our fellower's inputs on the subject,who did the similar cabling already for theirs.......

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #2,888 of 10,535
The sheath/sleeve is both for fancy looking and especially durabilty,tho its not a must and you can show off the transparent cable,shiny SP ofc cable w/o that........:wink: its all personal preference.

And Billy, I wld say you wait for some of our fellower's inputs on the subject,who did the similar cabling already for theirs.......

Alright, many thanks!

Will do. But a tempted to order it now thought hahahaha. I want it done before Christmas lol

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #2,889 of 10,535
Alright, many thanks!

Will do. But a tempted to order it now thought hahahaha. I want it done before Christmas lol

It's worth mentioning that AKG usually (always?) reverses the Left and Right channels on their pin-outs (pins 2 & 3).  Before the DIY bug bit me, I had Redco make me a cable without knowing to tell them it was for an AKG (they might not have known), and sure enough, they were reversed.  That cable became a pair of interconnects
wink.gif
  It's that way on the two AKGs I've checked (Q701s and K712s).  For the cables I made, I used the following on the mini XLR, with a TRS plug on the amp end:

Pin 1 : Ground
Pin 2 : Ring/Right
Pin 3 : Tip/Left

Easiest enough to confirm with a DMM on your stock AKG cable.

If you're planning to solder all those wires into a mini XLR, I'd be curious to see some photos before you close it up.

Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #2,890 of 10,535
It's worth mentioning that AKG usually (always?) reverses the Left and Right channels on their pin-outs (pins 2 & 3).  Before the DIY bug bit me, I had Redco make me a cable without knowing to tell them it was for an AKG (they might not have known), and sure enough, they were reversed.  That cable became a pair of interconnects :wink:   It's that way on the two AKGs I've checked (Q701s and K712s).  For the cables I made, I used the following on the mini XLR, with a TRS plug on the amp end:

If you're planning to solder all those wires into a mini XLR, I'd be curious to see some photos before you close it up.

Good luck :)

Thx for the heads-up.....cld'nt all those wires fit inside the XLR shell/adapter?.....

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,891 of 10,535

It's worth mentioning that AKG usually (always?) reverses the Left and Right channels on their pin-outs (pins 2 & 3).  Before the DIY bug bit me, I had Redco make me a cable without knowing to tell them it was for an AKG (they might not have known), and sure enough, they were reversed.  That cable became a pair of interconnects
wink.gif
  It's that way on the two AKGs I've checked (Q701s and K712s).  For the cables I made, I used the following on the mini XLR, with a TRS plug on the amp end:

Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for pointing that out!

I just ordered a sleeve, the cable, the two jacks [3.5mm and mini XLR] for this project. About two weeks time all should arrive and I shall start my project. 
popcorn.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,892 of 10,535
Thx for the heads-up.....cld'nt all those wires fit inside the XLR shell/adapter?.....

Seems like it'd be a tight fit to me.  I got four 100/46 type 2 Litz wires (served in silk, which is nominal) into my Redco mini XLR, but I don't think I'd like to try eight (was that the number) wires, esp. coated with Teflon or even the stuff Mogami uses in the Neglex.  That's why I want pix of this hot-dog-eating-contest-of-a-cable-project.  Video of the actual insertion would be even better 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2,893 of 10,535

Seems like it'd be a tight fit to me.  I got four 100/46 type 2 Litz wires (served in silk, which is nominal) into my Redco mini XLR, but I don't think I'd like to try eight (was that the number) wires, esp. coated with Teflon or even the stuff Mogami uses in the Neglex.  That's why I want pix of this hot-dog-eating-contest-of-a-cable-project.  Video of the actual insertion would be even better 
biggrin.gif

HAHAHA

I think that will be too many wires for that connector as well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,894 of 10,535
Will a standard Red White and Yellow cable work with the yellow cable stripped off with my gear? Pretty straight forward question but I don't want to damage my gear with wrong cables so I am inquiring first before I try. It looks like a pretty robust  cable and I haven't had time to construct my own yet because of money constraints.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #2,895 of 10,535
Yellow is usually the video input, and the white and red are standard RCA's for audio - so go ahead and use them if you're in a pinch! Smart idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back