DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,898 of 10,535
Tried it and sounds fantastic! Now I just need a more robust 6.3mm to 3.5mm :\.

For me, aftermarket/DIY plugs/jacks (the male and female) give better strain reliever clamp, because the clamp is made of metal (compared to factory produced rubber molded body/shell). Perhaps good quality ones also use metal strain reliever clamp inside the rubber body.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,899 of 10,535
I'm not a DIYer, at least not with cable making, but I'm wondering if there's someone willing to make a silver cable for me for a Grado SR60i I want give a Woody!

gs1000.gif

I bought an SR325iS as my new primary headphones, and I have a two-year old SR60i that I want to turn into my 'portable' headphone. Not portable as to wear while cycling around Amsterdam (although I might do that occasionally), but more to stuff into my backpack when I go somewhere with my bluetooth/iPad combo (I'm an author, and I write pretty much everywhere).

I heard that silver cables are more sensitive to bending at straight angles and should always be carried in loose loops. I often have my combo on my lap or relatively close by, so I'm looking for a short cable (approx. 3 feet/1 meter) that terminates in a 1/8"/3.5mm connector that can be inserted in the small headphone port of my iPad. I prefer a thin/light cable that is still better than the standard SR60i cable, and I though that silver cables can be really thin. I can handle a solder iron within reason, and I'll have to because the wooden cups come with holes that require the cable to be removed and resoldered. I figured, as long as I'm re-attaching the cable, I might as well upgrade to a better/lighter cable.

I don't know if my assumption are right or wrong, but I'm looking for someone who'd be willing to make me such a cable, so I can recable the SR60i once the wooden cups are in. You can either post in this thread or, maybe better, send me a PM.

I'm located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, so I'd prefer a Head-Fi-er from the UK or Europe, in regards to shipping costs and the time zone (being more or less in the same timezone make communication much easier). As to cost, I'm not a cheapskate and I appreciate custom work, but I'm also on a limited budget.

Anybody willing and able to help me with this?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,900 of 10,535
You may want to contact Frank @ Toxic Cables, search the Toxic Cables Thread and you will see that he's doing plenty of custom jobs... He's very busy but based in the UK may be of advantage to you...
I myself bought a Silver Poison DIY kit and did the assembly myself. Silver Poison is 99% stranded silver with around 1 % gold. This gave my Westone In ear monitors a perfect upgrade. Feel free to PM me for more info...

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,901 of 10,535
Dec 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,906 of 10,535
Gents: for senn HD600, the connections are'nt inverted/reversed,correct? That goes to stock,after market and DIY cables.....I know the small and big pins are for positive and negative respectively.......but just want to make sure.....will tell you guys what is that about......

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,907 of 10,535
Gents: for senn HD600, the connections are'nt inverted/reversed,correct? That goes to stock,after market and DIY cables.....I know the small and big pins are for positive and negative respectively.......but just want to make sure.....will tell you guys what is that about......

The big pins are for ground.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,910 of 10,535
Using a phone on this site doesn't work too well, I meant to edit the post that I made showing the male connectors because I misread your question, but ended up making a second post instead. Fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back