DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 18, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,356 of 10,535
  I was told I should post this here: 

Hey, 

I have some extra cat5e lying around and wanted to make some cables and do a little DIY.

What is cat5 good for? I could use some rca to rca interconnects or stereo mini plug to rca. Would cat5 be good for either of these applications?

After researching online I know in general how to make some cables, but can't find much detailed info.

Any info would help, thanks! I would also like any recommended DIY projects for audio diy beginners :) Thanks!

Short answer is yes, but I believe cat5e is designed to carry signals at very low power, conductors found in cat5e are not really designed to carry high power like speaker voltage.
I think it's better for the headphone or interconnect cables but cat5e are really one conductor wire which is very stiff to work with.
I have braided cat5e cables and turns out to be ugly unless you use the paracord sleeve to hide :)

FYI, please refer this site

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cat5questions_e.html

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,359 of 10,535
I think it depends on what got swapped where, and where the signal is going. Most likely, you'd just get no sound, or weird humming/buzzing.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2,360 of 10,535
Depends on where you mess up the wiring. You could get both signals to one side, shorted ground to signal which usually just means no sound, you could get both channels in both sides.

Chances are it won't hurt anything, output impedance of most devices is high enough that even a dead short won't produce enough current flow to damage the output stage, inputs have even higher impedance so they're hard to kill with simply ground signal swaps.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,362 of 10,535
You guys know where I can buy Shure mmcx plugs (angled "L" preferred) in clear plastic? Lunashop has it but they send out random colors.

Silver metal would also be good. Or any sites that sells a collection of Shure plugs for that matter.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,363 of 10,535
The Litz has arrived, 140 strands of 44 AWG all wrapped in silk. I'm going to sleeve this in Type 1 Paracord so I'll need to stop into Michaels tomorrow on the way home for some black and some white.
smile.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,364 of 10,535
  The Litz has arrived, 140 strands of 44 AWG all wrapped in silk. I'm going to sleeve this in Type 1 Paracord so I'll need to stop into Michaels tomorrow on the way home for some black and some white.
smile.gif

Goodness, I feel all... tingly just seeing that.  Must. Fire. Up. Soldering. Iron!!!

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,365 of 10,535
The Litz has arrived, 140 strands of 44 AWG all wrapped in silk. I'm going to sleeve this in Type 1 Paracord so I'll need to stop into Michaels tomorrow on the way home for some black and some white. :smile:

Can you tell me where did you get this cable? Link?

Thanks!!!!

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,366 of 10,535
Aug 20, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #2,367 of 10,535
Guys could there be any issues if I try and convert over an iBasso PB2 Hirose plug to RSA/ALO type female port....
There are 2 cables inside that would not hook up to the 4-pin RSA female port....

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,369 of 10,535
Do you know if this guy posts internationally? To Australia more specifically.
Sorry but I don't think he does, I had to ask him to make a small shipment to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back