DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,313 of 10,535
Hi, I'm looking for some paracord for my Mogami m2495 (7mm) cable. From what I've gathered, 550 paracord is a bit thin? But where can you find a better fit?

[@]cCasper TFG[/@] directed me to Techflex multifilament. It's super durable, looks nice and comes in a variety of diameters to fit you needs.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,314 of 10,535
Yape, I use techflex.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,315 of 10,535
Hey guys. More questions to ask lol. So after my first ever cable attempt, I learnt a few things from my mistakes in the first one and pretty much want to start doing another one. But for this next project, I was thinking of using single core instead and this time to really do a balanced cable. Why I want to use single core is because of braiding! So here are the questions :

• I was thinking of either using 6 or 8 single core cables which each of them split in half (3-3 and 4-4 in y-split configuration respectively). But for the 3-3, i'm not sure what to do with the 3rd cable. Should I just leave it as a dummy cable? And for the 4-4, I'll just need to use 2 cables for each L+, L-, R+, R- right?
  • Does braiding cause microphonics?
  • For the 4pin, is there any "standardized" configuration of which pin goes to which? I'm asking cause last time I ordered Redco's 3pin mini xlr, their configuration was kinda different (http://www.redco.com/images/P/ta3f.jpg), which in the end, I just used 2 as "+" and 3 as "-"

And thanks again~

And I'll just put these advice here, just in case nobody knew about it :
  1. Don't use techflex for headphone cables. It was a dumb decision on my part. Cable was stiff for my liking and was really noisy.
  2. Get a bigger ratio for the shrinktube.
  3. Remember, put the things in order through the cable BEFORE you decide to solder it.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,316 of 10,535
  • I'm not sure what you mean, but if single core means solid core that's a bad idea. Use stranded wire. If you mean individual conductors I would use the number of conductors equal to the number of pins on the connectors you intend to use. For single ended that's 3 wires 4 if you want to run dual entry. For balanced that's 4 wires. Alternatively stick to integer multiples of that number.
  • Braiding MAY cause microphonics, however it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll get worse mechanical noise transmission from hitting the cable and moving around. The tighter you braid the worse that is. (Microphonics is an electrical phenomenon which doesn't exist noticeably in low impedance headphone cables, it is not the mechanical noise transmission you get from hitting or rubbing a cable)
  • Yes, there is a standard, you'll have to do a search on Google.com to find it out as I don't know it off the top of my head. I don't know what you mean about 3 pin mini/full size XLR. The pinout for those is also standardized. 

1. Techflex for cables shouldn't make it stiffer, that means it's applied too tightly. When applied correctly it is just as flexible as the bare cable. Personally I only use multifilament, PET expanding tubing and others IMO are only good for bundling cables and make terrible cosmetic covering as they don't feel good on the skin.
  2. I would use the ration appropriate for achieving the desired recovered diameter while still fitting over the largest part. Using the biggest shrink factor you can find makes it more difficult to use, if you need it to shrink small and fit over a large part at the same time it is your only option.
  3. Yup, same goes for any project.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,317 of 10,535
Don't use the solid core wires!!!

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,318 of 10,535

• I'm not sure what you mean, but if single core means solid core that's a bad idea. Use stranded wire. If you mean individual conductors I would use the number of conductors equal to the number of pins on the connectors you intend to use. For single ended that's 3 wires 4 if you want to run dual entry. For balanced that's 4 wires. Alternatively stick to integer multiples of that number.
  • Braiding MAY cause microphonics, however it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll get worse mechanical noise transmission from hitting the cable and moving around. The tighter you braid the worse that is. (Microphonics is an electrical phenomenon which doesn't exist noticeably in low impedance headphone cables, it is not the mechanical noise transmission you get from hitting or rubbing a cable)
  • Yes, there is a standard, you'll have to do a search on Google.com to find it out as I don't know it off the top of my head. I don't know what you mean about 3 pin mini/full size XLR. The pinout for those is also standardized. 

1. Techflex for cables shouldn't make it stiffer, that means it's applied too tightly. When applied correctly it is just as flexible as the bare cable. Personally I only use multifilament, PET expanding tubing and others IMO are only good for bundling cables and make terrible cosmetic covering as they don't feel good on the skin.
  2. I would use the ration appropriate for achieving the desired recovered diameter while still fitting over the largest part. Using the biggest shrink factor you can find makes it more difficult to use, if you need it to shrink small and fit over a large part at the same time it is your only option.
  3. Yup, same goes for any project.

• Definitely not those single strand. Maybe I worded it wrongly. I'm still not sure what the right term to use since it varies from conductor or core or strand. So I just used what I think is right. well, I just thought by using 3 wires will be easier to braid. So I'll just go with multiples of 4 then.
  • Again, maybe I got the terms wrong again. I thought microphonics = cable noise = noise produced when the surface is rubbed, which I actually wanted to say the last one. OK, so note to self : not too tight on the braiding.
  • What I meant was from the link I put, the number 2 and 3 was inverted compared to what I googled, which will make me to be very careful in my future DIY cables. And to prevent the same mistake, I wanted to confirm if there was a standard or some manufacturer(amp/dac manufacturers especially) would use their own style instead.

1. I don't know, it seems tight to me. But maybe it's because it's in its stock (as in, the smallest radius instead of compressing it to make the radius bigger)
  2. I've only used 2:1(or 1:2, I'm not sure) of which just barely fits on my parts. I know I should order a bigger diameter, but that will also mean the final shrunk diameter would be bigger. So a bigger ratio would be more useful because it can shrink much smaller and tighter
  3. Which is why a very important note to self :p

And thanks~

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,319 of 10,535
Note that 'core' has the same meaning as 'conductor'.  So a speaker cable has two cores or two conductors.

In correct usage (but we can find exceptions) a cable or cord has two or more cores/conductors.  While a wire has only one core/conductor.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,320 of 10,535
anyone here know a source to buy pure silver stranded wire i remember hearing somewhere in this thread awhile ago but cant find..
and can someone remind me the site were someone can build a cable 4 me.. it might be the same site don't remember..

edit: if you know a similar site that's even better 

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,321 of 10,535
The plugs arrived today Frank, much Thanks!

These are very solid and something to behold, the picture does nit do them justice.
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,323 of 10,535
If anyone is going to buy Hifiman connectors (SMC) from PlusSound, buy them from their Etsy account instead. They're $14.99 plus $5 shipping there, and on their actual site they're $19.99 plus whatever shipping is to you. Just a tip.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,324 of 10,535
  If anyone is going to buy Hifiman connectors (SMC) from PlusSound, buy them from their Etsy account instead. They're $14.99 plus $5 shipping there, and on their actual site they're $19.99 plus whatever shipping is to you. Just a tip.

Is there much difference in quality vs the ebay ones at $3 a set ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back