DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2,281 of 10,535
DHC has cotton sleeving at $1.25/ft. IIRC.

NOT $2/

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,283 of 10,535
I have a noob question, I accidentally melted a bit of the cable insulator on the conductor. Is it still safe to use or should I change the conductor?

Yes,like "canadian411" said the +ve and -ve should not be in contact or shorted...And as long as the cables are intact where they are soldered (no loose ends) it is ok....btw,is it on the 3.5mmjack side?

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,284 of 10,535
Yes,like "canadian411" said the +ve and -ve should not be in contact or shorted...And as long as the cables are intact where they are soldered (no loose ends) it is ok....btw,is it on the 3.5mmjack side?

Yeah it is. Well, sorted everything and all is well. Thanks to this thread for the advice too!

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #2,285 of 10,535
Quick question.

As I understand it strand count for the most part is largely responsible for the flexibility of a cable. So a higher strand count would be much better IEM cables etc.So a 7 strand one, being more rigid would not be an issue for an interconnect I'd think.

I'm looking at the following cable to make some RCA interconnects - about 5" long - for a Schiit stack;

24 AWG Silver plated wire < Ebay link to product.

Would that be a good wire thickness to use? I would like to imitate the 4 wire braid I posted previously and this wire looks so damn nice with the clear insulation.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

PS: Will be looking to use some red copper RCA plugs.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2,286 of 10,535
Orihalcon
Stand count tends to help flexibility do to more, smaller individual strands to make up the same overall AWG. Additionally, it reduces the chance of failure from wires breaking.

That wire is just fine for an interconnect. It won't be moving so no worries. Even solid core works just fine for interconnects. I'm actually making a special pair for my stack right now.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,287 of 10,535
@Orihalcon
Stand count tends to help flexibility do to more, smaller individual strands to make up the same overall AWG. Additionally, it reduces the chance of failure from wires breaking.

That wire is just fine for an interconnect. It won't be moving so no worries. Even solid core works just fine for interconnects. I'm actually making a special pair for my stack right now.

Thank you kindly!

Would you recommend that thickness (24 AWG) or do you have a preferred cable type?

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #2,288 of 10,535
  Quick question.

As I understand it strand count for the most part is largely responsible for the flexibility of a cable. So a higher strand count would be much better IEM cables etc.So a 7 strand one, being more rigid would not be an issue for an interconnect I'd think.

I'm looking at the following cable to make some RCA interconnects - about 5" long - for a Schiit stack;

24 AWG Silver plated wire < Ebay link to product.

Would that be a good wire thickness to use? I would like to imitate the 4 wire braid I posted previously and this wire looks so damn nice with the clear insulation.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

PS: Will be looking to use some red copper RCA plugs.  

Yape like Kamakahah said this cable is fine. I will probably go for the one that is more flexible. (depend on the length of you interconnect)
By the way, this is OFC cable, 4N grade which will be fine.

You can also use mogami cable they are like $0,70 to $1.08 something per ft for quad. Your cable will be the same price $1 per ft (if you make 4 strand braiding)., $8 per  10meter or 32 ft, divide by 4.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,289 of 10,535
  Yape like Kamakahah said this cable is fine. I will probably go for the one that is more flexible. (depend on the length of you interconnect)
By the way, this is OFC cable, 4N grade which will be fine.

You can also use mogami cable they are like $0,70 to $1.08 something per ft for quad. Your cable will be the same price $1 per ft (if you make 4 strand braiding)., $8 per  10meter or 32 ft, divide by 4.

Beautiful.

Thank you. I will be using some Mogami cable to make a new lead for my AKG headset - sleeved in some paracord. While I know I can use a cheaper wire for the interconnects...I'm purely choosing that translucent silver coated wire for the look :p

Thank you all for the comments and help!

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,291 of 10,535
To be honest, I a/bed 7NUPOCC cable vs cheap $14 cable for my UE900 and didn't hear difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-SHURE-SE535-SE425-SE315-215-/310711199421?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

You don't really hear significant difference because the cable is really short.  Story is different if we are talking about the speaker wires that go around the house.

And also, FiiO iem cables don't have the ear guide, triplefi10 needs the hard/pre-formed ear guide IMO.  I bought Fiio replacement cable for my triplefi10 and it's completely useless.

So which one you recommend,DIY or after market ones? I prefer DIY, coz I can make another if the current goes bad whenever I want,tho little extra money involved,for sourcing connectors,cable,3.5mmjack individually......

And big thanks for the headsup on the wires.....just give me a final hints on the wires tho..like the better but cheap,reliable blah blah...and your reliable source.

Ive been eying @ aliexpress and some ebay HK sellers but worried about they being legit cables or knockoffs?.....tbh.

And yeah the fiio dont have ear hook / hardened bend sort and I dont want buying the rc-ue1 either as they looks very likes of stock ones...

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #2,292 of 10,535
So which one you recommend,DIY or after market ones? I prefer DIY, coz I can make another if the current goes bad whenever I want,tho little extra money involved,for sourcing connectors,cable,3.5mmjack individually......

And big thanks for the headsup on the wires.....just give me a final hints on the wires tho..like the better but cheap,reliable blah blah...and your reliable source.

Ive been eying @ aliexpress and some ebay HK sellers but worried about they being legit cables or knockoffs?.....tbh.

And yeah the fiio dont have ear hook / hardened bend sort and I dont want buying the rc-ue1 either as they looks very likes of stock ones...

It depends on the iem. Which iem r u planning to use/buy?

For example, if you have an entry level headphone and you upgrade the stock cable to very high end cable (7n grade, 1% gold silver/copper etc) you will not hear the difference.

I only use my iems when I workout or run so getting an expensive cable doesn't really buy me anything.

Even with mid tier iem like ue900 I honestly don't hear the difference in a quiet room. Olny reason I started diy because I am on my 7th cable since I bought iems. So in a run long I save money and can reuse the connectors :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,293 of 10,535
Thank you kindly!

Would you recommend that thickness (24 AWG) or do you have a preferred cable type?

Here is the pic I made with the same cable, mine was up occ 7n grade silver plated copper with 7 strands on each wire.

I used 8 wires in total with the round braid pattern, its not very stiff once you pass 2 inch in length.

EDIT : 2014/July/19 11:07AM EST, it's not 7N, I found out that it is 6N grade.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,294 of 10,535
It depends on the iem. Which iem r u planning to use/buy?

For example, if you have an ry level headphone and you upgrade the stock cable to very high end cable (7n grade, 1% gold silver/copper etc) you will not hear the difference.

I only use my iems when I workout or run so getting an expensive cable doesn't really buy me anything.

Even with mid tier iem like ue900 I honestly don't hear the difference in a quiet room. Olny reason I started diy because I am on my 7th cable since I bought iems. So in a run long I save money and can reuse the connectors :)

TF10. For now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back