DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,621 of 10,535
That is good to know! I can see some Viablues in my future!
biggrin.gif

They have the Viablue SC2 splitters, which was what I was mainly looking for to build my LCD-2 cable.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,622 of 10,535
  Does anybody use Digikey? Their collection seems to be huge but I can't navigate it.. 

Specifically: Heatshrink... what am I looking at? Is there anything here thats similar to what Heatshrink.com sells?

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/cables-wires-management/heat-shrink-tubing/1704112

I get all of my heat shrink on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/usr/flexrllc?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754 This guy has every size, color, length and ratio you would ever need/want.  
That is good to know! I can see some Viablues in my future!
biggrin.gif

Ya Viablue connectors look good but they are by far the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to connectors.  Especially the small ones.  They do look good though,

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,624 of 10,535
I know this isn't DIY, but I recieved a custom cable from HPL audio for me HE-500s, and was wondering if this is an appropriate place to post.

Nope this wouldn't be the place. The HPL appreciation thread would be the perfect place for that.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,625 of 10,535
  I know this isn't DIY, but I recieved a custom cable from HPL audio for me HE-500s, and was wondering if this is an appropriate place to post.

FraGGler is just too fast...
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,627 of 10,535
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,628 of 10,535
Oh I see, there's HPL audio and then headphone lounge, they're separate now. I've purchased from HPL, but wouldn't post it in the headphone lounge thread.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,629 of 10,535
I don't know whether people have asked this before, but I have a question as to how I can make an upgrade cable for my CIEM with a balanced connector (IRIS/RSA).

I know Moon Audio can do so with the Silver and Black Dragon cables, but when I try with the instructions on Ray Samuel's website (http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/sr-71b), what I get is distorted sound. The mids seem to be the only one that are okay, but the highs and bass are distorted beyond tolerable limits. Everything is wired perfectly. 

I just have this particular cable that I really like and want to use it with a balanced connector. Can anyone help?

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,630 of 10,535
I don't know whether people have asked this before, but I have a question as to how I can make an upgrade cable for my CIEM with a balanced connector (IRIS/RSA).

I know Moon Audio can do so with the Silver and Black Dragon cables, but when I try with the instructions on Ray Samuel's website (http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/sr-71b), what I get is distorted sound. The mids seem to be the only one that are okay, but the highs and bass are distorted beyond tolerable limits. Everything is wired perfectly. 

I just have this particular cable that I really like and want to use it with a balanced connector. Can anyone help?

What cable is it? Have you re-flowed your joints and checked with a multimeter to make sure you don't have a short somewhere?

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,631 of 10,535
What cable is it? Have you re-flowed your joints and checked with a multimeter to make sure you don't have a short somewhere?

The cable is done perfectly. No shorts, no issues. Everything is, in essence, perfect. That's why I'm asking this. Is there anything I'm missing out?

What I did was to connect the Left to pin 1 and 3, and right to pin 2 and 4, as shown here: www.head-fi.org/t/671311/designing-balance-cable-for-ray-samuels-rsa-sr-71b-latest-version#post_9748119

Then, I took the L wires and soldered them to the L Westone pins and the same to the R. Everything done in twisted pairs too.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,632 of 10,535
  The cable is done perfectly. No shorts, no issues. Everything is, in essence, perfect. That's why I'm asking this. Is there anything I'm missing out?

What I did was to connect the Left to pin 1 and 3, and right to pin 2 and 4, as shown here: www.head-fi.org/t/671311/designing-balance-cable-for-ray-samuels-rsa-sr-71b-latest-version#post_9748119

Then, I took the L wires and soldered them to the L Westone pins and the same to the R. Everything done in twisted pairs too.

That is the correct pinout for the RSA connector, the only thing I can recommend is checking the polarity of your Westone connectors, especially in relation to each other.  I can't remember for sure, but I feel like I ran into this before when I had some W4Rs.  Here is the post that helped me out:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/9015#post_8289474

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,633 of 10,535
  That is the correct pinout for the RSA connector, the only thing I can recommend is checking the polarity of your Westone connectors, especially in relation to each other.  I can't remember for sure, but I feel like I ran into this before when I had some W4Rs.  Here is the post that helped me out:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/9015#post_8289474

I just noticed that there are two pinout diagrams. One on the top (the big one) and the other on the bottom (the one for the auto-IRIS of the camera). Which one? I did the one on top the first time and that's the one with the distortion.

I don't own a balanced amp, so I cannot try this right now, but I tried it with a demo amp in a store that I trust wouldn't have defective material (I actually tried it with three different amps with the same result).

As for pin polarity, I can't make an error, considering that I am using the twisted pair configuration and a multimeter...

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,634 of 10,535
  I just noticed that there are two pinout diagrams. One on the top (the big one) and the other on the bottom (the one for the auto-IRIS of the camera). Which one? I did the one on top the first time and that's the one with the distortion.

I don't own a balanced amp, so I cannot try this right now, but I tried it with a demo amp in a store that I trust wouldn't have defective material (I actually tried it with three different amps with the same result).

As for pin polarity, I can't make an error, considering that I am using the twisted pair configuration and a multimeter...

The connectors themselves should have the numbers by the pins on the solder side.  The configuration you first quoted is correct 1,3 L+, L- and 2,4 R+, R-.  

A multimeter can't tell you if you have misinterpreted a diagram or pinout.  Your ears are telling you that either you have, or the equipment on either side of the cable has a problem with it.  By polarity, I mean are you connecting to the right pins at the Westone end and do you have them in the correct orientation?  Westone, JH, UE, etc. all use the same connectors, but use a slightly different pinout (like the post that I shared with you).  Do you have the female socket for the RSA connector?  If so, you can make a balanced to single ended adapter and test on your own equipment.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,635 of 10,535
  The connectors themselves should have the numbers by the pins on the solder side.  The configuration you first quoted is correct 1,3 L+, L- and 2,4 R+, R-.  

A multimeter can't tell you if you have misinterpreted a diagram or pinout.  Your ears are telling you that either you have, or the equipment on either side of the cable has a problem with it.  By polarity, I mean are you connecting to the right pins at the Westone end and do you have them in the correct orientation?  Westone, JH, UE, etc. all use the same connectors, but use a slightly different pinout (like the post that I shared with you).  Do you have the female socket for the RSA connector?  If so, you can make a balanced to single ended adapter and test on your own equipment.

First, I don't have numbers on my connector, sadly.  Second, by multimeter, I meant the continuity tester that is in-built. Third, I do happen to have an RSA connector. By single-ended, you mean TRS, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back