DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,651 of 10,535
I want to put paracord on my 2-24AWG twisted headphone wire. Which type of paracord do I want? Will type III be too large and loose?

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,652 of 10,535
  I want to put paracord on my 2-24AWG twisted headphone wire. Which type of paracord do I want? Will type III be too large and loose?

That sounds like a job for mini paracord or vest cord http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=74&ParentCat=21

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,653 of 10,535

Amphenol does as well. They're priced inbetween the Neutrik and the Switchcraft stuff it seems.

Amphenol makes the as well. You can also find generics which are of comparable quality. There are some nice 3 pins that you can swap pins for. The Vintage Audio Labs are a rough equivalent to Switch craft. Doublehelixcables sells them one off with a compatible insert as well.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I figured as much. I hate to sound too vain, but I was hoping for a "purdy" option. Maybe I will email Viablue and see if their pins are swappable. Do you know where to find rhodium plated pins, by chance?

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=143 
Carbon Fiber.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,654 of 10,535
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows anyone that does cable re-terminated in Australia?

I'm looking to have the jack on my Shure SHR940 coiled cable and hoping someone in Australia can help.

If you know anyone or can do this please PM me.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,655 of 10,535
Hey guys,

The audio jacks on my computer case are starting to become loose or something. The sound disconnects if the plug shifts a little and its not the plug/cable's fault. I was wondering if it was possible to install a new jack into the front of the case. There is a PCB inside this means I need a PCB mounted jack right? Is there a standard for pin positions for PCB Mounted Jacks or do I have to track down the exact plug that is used in my Cooler Master HAF 922?

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,656 of 10,535
Chances are that the jack has worked its way loose on the PCB due to repeated insertions.

You have to get into the item and examine it at close range to see what exactly is going on. You may be able to simply resolder the jack into the PCB, or you may have to find a replacement if it's a question of the spring contacts having gone soft. They come in numerous shapes and sizes, so identifying one may be a problem. You can even wire in a panel-mount type on extension wires and let it dangle outside the box, if it's what it takes to get the functionality back.

w

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,658 of 10,535
Does anyone else absolutely hate how hard it is to thread Rean 3.5mm connectors sometimes? 

It would be nice if they would' increase the hole diameters just a little.

Most of the time it depends on how well I twist and tin my wires.

Still...I agree. Had those momenta of frustration more than a few times threading.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,659 of 10,535
I was just making a mini-mini interconnect to match my last cable and could not get the second connector's barrel to thread on. I was so pissed that I just cut off both connectors and ordered some more SwitchCrafts.

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,660 of 10,535
I had a silver wire interconnect that I beat to death with a hammer once... That PoS was so stiff it would lift the DAP off the Amp, it was wrapped in some sort of Teflon and the ends were epoxied on threads and all. :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,661 of 10,535
I had a silver wire interconnect that I beat to death with a hammer once... That PoS was so stiff it would lift the DAP off the Amp, it was wrapped in some sort of Teflon and the ends were epoxied on threads and all.
smily_headphones1.gif

It deserved every bit of it. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,662 of 10,535
Word of advice to anyone that's doing work internal to their cans, don't break the magnet wire leads from the driver, they are not easy to solder back in place, especially since there wasn't much slack before they are broken. Ask me how I know.

Luckily the job got done, pics up in the Gallery thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back