DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,157 of 10,535
When making a round braided cable for full sized headphones is 24 awg or 28 awg preferred?  Are there any advantages for the above two?
I prefer the added feel of durability from 24awg personally. 26 would be the smallest i would go

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,158 of 10,535
I prefer the look of 24awg with an open braid, but like the weight and minimal bulk of the 28 awg.

There shouldn't be any sonic benefits if that is on your mind.

As long as they have good strand count you shouldn't have any major durability issues.

Is the cable for portable use or home/office?
At the desk, your main issue will be the computer chair trying to devour the cable.
goddammit-chair.jpg
I personally prefer short, light cables. The less I notice them the better.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,159 of 10,535
  When making a round braided cable for full sized headphones is 24 awg or 28 awg preferred?  Are there any advantages for the above two?

If making a 4 strand round braid, I'd go with 24 awg for the added durability.

Personally, my favorite for a full sized headphone would be a 8 strand round braid using 26 awg wires. Durable, light, and I like the aesthetics of the 8 strand over 4.

28 awg would work as well, with a smaller diameter.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,160 of 10,535
Well I dont know what difference the different types of cables do. I want the best possible and dont know what I should get.
Also a nice place where I could order from would be nice to know
smily_headphones1.gif

Well there are a million different kinds of cables but for headphones the main ones are silver, copper and silver plated copper.  If you believe that cables make a difference in sound than it depends on exactly what you want, but if you don't than copper should be fine.  If you want to start making cables I suggest you start on something easy and cheap.  If you want something a bit more challanging than I suggest you braid your own cable.

You can find 4pin xlr's at Redco.com

You can find cables at almost every single cable maker.  A couple places are:  Toxic Cables,  Double Helix Cables, Plussound Audio, Artemis Cables, BTG Audio, Moon Audio.

If you give me a little more details on what exactly you want than I can help you with specifics more.  PM me if you would like.  

Hope this helps.  

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,161 of 10,535

I would either go 24 or 26.  28 is a bit thin and will be hard to work with.  Between 24 and 26 though, 24 is heavier but easier to work with and stronger but also tends to be more expensive.  The choice is yours but again I would not go 28

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,162 of 10,535
Cheers! I'll throw a pm your way :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,164 of 10,535
i use 24awg and 28awg for the DIY cables.

Neotech silver wire with Eichmans for my most expensive, i use normal heatshrink and twist the wires

I discovered not long ago that Element14 ( Newark in the US, Farnell UK) sold 100ft(30metre) kynar wrap wire. Its silver plated copper, i love Ok Industries wire, very nice covering of silver. Switchcraft rcas are nice an cheap at Element14 also, i always ask for a quote, amazing how low the can go. Free post over 45$ in Australia.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,165 of 10,535
Question

I've got a D2k that has a 4pin XLR retermination. When I connect that 4pin XLR to my balanced Amp... I get Mono in my headphones

now when I connect the 4pin XLR to my 4pin XLR to SE Adapter, then connect the HEadphone +the SE adapter to the SE out put on my Balanced Amp I get Stero sound

is my 4pin XLR pinned in correctly? Why do I only get mono with balanced connections, I also have a 4pin XLR to 6pin HiRose balanced adapter that has the same issue, balanced output into my D2k is mono, if I swtich to SE and run the D2k out of the SE outputs of both amps it's stero

and the issue here is both my Balanced amps sound BETTER through their balanced out puts, these two amps, my Pb1 and Audio GD Nfb 10ES2 have better sound quality through their balanced output than their SE. So for me I need a working balanced Pin out

that said, what do you guys think is wrong with the 4pin XLR pin out on my D2k? Why do I need a 4pin to SE adapter to get stero sound

additioanlly, the adapter was made by... Company B, the D2k Recabled by COmpany A, I'm asking all of this because quite frankly I'm asking Company A for a refund... asap. If Company A has indeed incorrectly wired the headphone and termination for balanced use... for the second time [the first time the pin out was wrong and I had... a sucked out sound] then I'm going to go to another company for a recable 

So there it is, my D2k Terminated with 4pin XLR... when used in conjection with a 4pin XLR or any Balanced output via both my amps... gets mono sound

The D2k terminated  with a 4pin XLR used in Conjection with a 4pin XLR to SE Adapter, and then used with the SE out put of both my amps... gets stero sound 

what is the issue here 

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,166 of 10,535
This is the standard AKG 4 pin XLR pinout, which i have used to make a balanced to SE adaptor

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

If it still comes out mono being wired like that, then ask the amp companies what pinout they use.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,167 of 10,535
  This is the standard AKG 4 pin XLR pinout, which i have used to make a balanced to SE adaptor

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

If it still comes out mono being wired like that, then ask the amp companies what pinout they use.

Yea that was mentioned, I have an adapter made by Zombie X, he did the recable on my Dt 880 and it works wonderfully with my DT 880 

apprently both my pb1 and Audio GD use the same pin out 

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,168 of 10,535
Well some have the wrong pin out, most likely the D2K, but does the DT880 work with the amp?

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,169 of 10,535
Well some have the wrong pin out, most likely the D2K, but does the DT880 work with the amp?

Yeap the Dt 880 works with Both amps just fine

the D2k how ever does not 

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,170 of 10,535
Its odd how the adapter works with the DT880 and the D2K but D2K doesn't work with the amps...

Find out what pin out the amps use from the company and let the guy that cabled your headphones know which it uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back