DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,114 of 10,535
  What's the cable for? Either one of those wires is going to be quite stiff, the coax being very stiff. Make decent hookup wire maybe interconnect wire.

The cable was going to be for the cable that connects the headphone to my amp.  Not sure what the official name for that cable is called.  What wire would you recommend that would be less stiff?

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,115 of 10,535
Hey guys I want to make a 2 metre cable extension for my computer. Will there be a big difference in sound if I use a 6-wire braid instead of a 3-wire braid? I plan to use a Canare F12 plug and Canare L-4E6S. Your expertise is much appreciated =)

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,116 of 10,535
  Hey guys I want to make a 2 metre cable extension for my computer. Will there be a big difference in sound if I use a 6-wire braid instead of a 3-wire braid? I plan to use a Canare F12 plug and Canare L-4E6S. Your expertise is much appreciated =)

You won't notice as difference between 3 and 6. It's just for looks/feel. Less = lighter. Weight and feel are important, IMO. 

The Canare L-4E6S has 4 pre-twisted wires inside. You can easily strip off the outside black PVC with a razor/knife. Then slide off the shielding surrounding the wire. There will also be a layer of paper with strands of cotton inside. I personally like to leave the paper/cotton on the twisted wire by putting a little bit of tape at each end and then sleeving in paracord. 

You'll end up with a flexible, light, and capable cable. You'll have 4 wires: one for L & R and two for ground. 

If you want an even lighter cable and don't care about the cotton reducing microphonics factor, then you can pull off a single strand while keeping the others pre-twisted then sleeve. 

I find that sleeving in paracord adds a nice feel to your cable. If it brushes on your shoulder/arm/hand, it won't feel like cable does. It also adds a layer of protection and pattern/color options based on your style preference. 

To circle back to your initial question, again, the number of conductors won't affect sound. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #1,117 of 10,535
  The cable was going to be for the cable that connects the headphone to my amp.  Not sure what the official name for that cable is called.  What wire would you recommend that would be less stiff?

That's just a headphone cable. If you are set on Navships, then go with anything 24-28 awg, 19 strands, regular teflon coating. Avoid the kapton as it makes the cable more riggid and you have no need for its benefits. 

The 19 strands will provide additional flexibility and help to avoid breakage overtime. Either way, his cables will be stiff with a hard feeling teflon coating. I understand the desire to use the wire as it is dirt-freakin-cheap. I find nothing wrong with it, but highly suggest sleeving it. 

Some other members wouldn't suggest 28 awg as they might think it to be too thin and prone to breaking, I disagree. Or rather, it depends on how you plan on using the cable. For most scenarios, there is no difference. 

Now, I'd recommend you get something like http://www.redco.com/Canare-L-4E5C.html or http://www.redco.com/Redco-TGS-QD.html or a version of it. It's cheap and quality. You can keep it as is or strip it down as I've explained above. 

These suggestions are based on the assumption that you're looking for bang-for-your-buck options. 

If you want to step it up to the next level, there are plenty of options mentioned in the past few pages. Frank of Toxic Cables is active in this thread and I'm sure he could point you in the right direction if you shoot him a PM or email. 

Others: BTG-Audio, Qables, Plussound audio, Artemis cables, Double Helix Cables, etc. All offer different options depending on your needs. All of them have been helpful in answering questions for me. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,118 of 10,535

You won't notice as difference between 3 and 6. It's just for looks/feel. Less = lighter. Weight and feel are important, IMO. 

The Canare L-4E6S has 4 pre-twisted wires inside. You can easily strip off the outside black PVC with a razor/knife. Then slide off the shielding surrounding the wire. There will also be a layer of paper with strands of cotton inside. I personally like to leave the paper/cotton on the twisted wire by putting a little bit of tape at each end and then sleeving in paracord. 

You'll end up with a flexible, light, and capable cable. You'll have 4 wires: one for L & R and two for ground. 

If you want an even lighter cable and don't care about the cotton reducing microphonics factor, then you can pull off a single strand while keeping the others pre-twisted then sleeve. 

I find that sleeving in paracord adds a nice feel to your cable. If it brushes on your shoulder/arm/hand, it won't feel like cable does. It also adds a layer of protection and pattern/color options based on your style preference. 

To circle back to your initial question, again, the number of conductors won't affect sound. 

EXACTLY like this:

This is part of a cable I made for someone here that will be used for their Bower and Wilkins P5. It was a super annoying cable to make because of that L curve crap the cable needs to do inside the cup. Stupid design. And I didn't have the headphones in front of me, so that made it worse.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,119 of 10,535
Hey there, I'm looking to take my first plunge into trying to make my own cable (probably for the Alpha Dog) and was just wondering about sourcing some items in the UK.

I quite like the look of the Viablue range of connectors so I was thinking of using them (just on aesthetics alone) and I'm not sure where to source them within the UK. I had a look on eBay but most of them were shipping from overseas. Likewise I had a look on Lunashop but it seems like those items will also ship from overseas. If there aren't any local suppliers then I guess I'll just import them in (I'll probably have to do that anyway for the Alpha Dog connectors).

Also does anyone have recommendations for a UK paracord supplier? There seems to be a bunch of them out there and I'm mainly just concerned about the quality of the paracord supplied.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,120 of 10,535
I'm building a headphone extension cable using Mogami 2534. 

Does the copper shield get soldered to the plug at the source end only, or should it be connected at both ends?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,121 of 10,535

Does the copper shield get soldered to the plug at the source end only, or should it be connected at both ends?

Thanks for the help!
For an extension cable, I do not think the shield matters. After all your cable isn't shielded anywhere after the extension. I would personally connect it only to the source just in case, but I have never done a headphone cable with a shield...

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,122 of 10,535

Thanks for the help!

I recently made this and notice no interference at all from it not having a shield...  The longer you go the more it matters, but for a general extension you should be o.k. with no shield.

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,123 of 10,535
  Hey there, I'm looking to take my first plunge into trying to make my own cable (probably for the Alpha Dog) and was just wondering about sourcing some items in the UK.

I quite like the look of the Viablue range of connectors so I was thinking of using them (just on aesthetics alone) and I'm not sure where to source them within the UK. I had a look on eBay but most of them were shipping from overseas. Likewise I had a look on Lunashop but it seems like those items will also ship from overseas. If there aren't any local suppliers then I guess I'll just import them in (I'll probably have to do that anyway for the Alpha Dog connectors).

Also does anyone have recommendations for a UK paracord supplier? There seems to be a bunch of them out there and I'm mainly just concerned about the quality of the paracord supplied.

You can PM me, i stock the entire Viablue range, can also supply the connectors for the Alpha Dog.

I am extremely busy, so sometime a reply can take a day or two, so please bare with me.

Would there be any interest in black cotton sleeved OCC Copper litz, removes the need for having to sleeve wires yourself? I am placing a new order today, so if there was enough interest, i could get in a couple thousand extra meters and offer some great prices on it.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #1,124 of 10,535
  You can PM me, i stock the entire Viablue range, can also supply the connectors for the Alpha Dog.

I am extremely busy, so sometime a reply can take a day or two, so please bare with me.

Would there be any interest in black cotton sleeved OCC Copper litz, removes the need for having to sleeve wires yourself? I am placing a new order today, so if there was enough interest, i could get in a couple thousand extra meters and offer some great prices on it.

I've yet to become a customer of yours, but I'd probably be interested in this.  I've been using some silk sleeved litz a bit recently with some success.  I've considered purchasing some cotton sheathing, so this might be a good solution for me.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you happen to go forward with this.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #1,125 of 10,535
Hi guys, this is an xpost from the diary thread.

A few minutes ago, I stood up and pulled my headphone cable with my leg. It pulled my laptop almost off the table. The result was that my Sony MDR Z1000 headphone connector, the part that plugs into my laptop, got bent at a 45 degree angle, pointing in a completely off direction. I was mortified but my first instinct was to bend it back and it bent back easily. I plugged it in and it seems to be sounding ok, I don't notice anything bad, but the sound cuts out of the right or left channel randomly if I move the cable around and also, I can't get over the placebo effect making me think that the sound feels quieter / less enveloping (is this possible even?)

What should I do to fix this? As you can see in the picture below, the cable can be removed entirely from the headphones themselves. The headphones arent being produced or sold anymore, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back