DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9,122 of 10,535
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #9,123 of 10,535
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #9,124 of 10,535
Hey guys, i'm finally making my way in here as I've finally picked up a nice soldering station (Hakko FX-888). I've repaired a few of my broken headphones I had lying around and would really like to start making new cables, LODs and interconnectors for my DAPs and Amps.

As far as the difference cables make in sound quality, I don't hear it much. With that said, is there any one places that would be a one stop shop for things like cable wire, MMCX ends, 3.5mm TRS plugs (Male/female), and the splitter for IEM cables? Perhaps even micro USB, and USB C ends? I'm looking to start making my own cables out of the hobby of it. I enjoy working with my hands.

As for wires, I'd like to go with something silver, but I'm not sure what sizes I need. If needed I'll even go for individual strands. Obviously I'm looking for things that look clean, slick and not cheap at a decent price (Aren't we all?). The cheaper (price, not look :p ) the better. Are there any recommended places? I looked at the first post, but didn't find any place that sold everything. Is there anything special when it comes to earphone/headphone wires I should be looking for?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #9,126 of 10,535
Why do I have so much trouble finding a 2.5mm female balanced to a 3.5mm Male? I've ordered 4 and all only play in the right side headset. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it (which adapter?)
Thank you
you need a female 2.5mm TRRS BALANCED to male 3.5mm TRS adapter, not 2.5mm TRRS SINGLE-ENDED+MIC to 3.5mm. they are not the same, different pins meaning and purpose.
samples of the adapter you need: adapters (measurements, pics, and links)

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #9,130 of 10,535
i've not tried that. but yes, this is the kind of working adapter for your purpose.
did you check my list? some links to products (from aliexpress) are included there (you can search and find some of them at amazon, i guess).
first you have to decide if you prefer a short adapter (not external cable, straight or in L) or an adapter with cable. if short and L, okcsc is the cheapest working one, eidolic the most expensive (links in my list); if with cable, i trust more in FiiO BL35 than the one from your link.

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #9,131 of 10,535
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #9,132 of 10,535
Hi all, my question has probably come up in this thread before but I wasn't able to find an answer: What would be the AliExpress alternative for DIY cable favorites such as Mogami W2893 or Canare L-4E6S? Is there anything similar on AE? I'd of course prefer one of those two but I'm having a hard time sourcing them here in the northern outskirts of Europe. More specifically, I'm looking for a flexible 3-/4-core cable, 24-28 awg per core.

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #9,133 of 10,535
Hi all, my question has probably come up in this thread before but I wasn't able to find an answer: What would be the AliExpress alternative for DIY cable favorites such as Mogami W2893 or Canare L-4E6S? Is there anything similar on AE? I'd of course prefer one of those two but I'm having a hard time sourcing them here in the northern outskirts of Europe. More specifically, I'm looking for a flexible 3-/4-core cable, 24-28 awg per core.

Thanks!

I have used this cable for a few projects, cheap and comparable to Mogami 2893. I'm just not sure on what International Shipping is like.

https://www.designacable.com/compon...re-starquad-bulk-cable-black-268-029-000.html

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #9,134 of 10,535
I looked through the wire supply links in the original post, and it's almost all microphone cable, guitar cable, some hookup wire, etc.—nothing that really resembles the stuff that's in the name-brand cables. Is the only way to get OCC and/or litz wire like the pros to have it custom-made by the factory? I've seen some AliExpress entries that say that's what they're selling, but it's weirdly expensive even by the vaunted standards of audio wire, and I'm loath to purchase from people who don't know how to spell 'litz.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back