DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jul 31, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #9,106 of 10,535
If you mean the solder itself, it will have a minimal effect. If you meant the quality of the made connection then it will have more effect then the solder used, but then you can get good Silver solder for a cheap price so you can fix both of them easily. Learn what Tinning is and Tin the Wire and the Connector first, making a connection then will be a lot easier.
Yes thats what i ment. Thanks i'll look into it.

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #9,107 of 10,535
Nope, I've been ignored by them. However, made couple of cables by myself but it was quite a challenge. Termination was the easiest part for me, you just terminate 2.5 trrs as usual but use following:
Right + (Low, Mid, Highs)
Right - (ground)

And same for left.

I also later added 50ohm resistor for low cables or right and left to avoid bass attenuator which I'm not a fan of. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for the reply. That's sort of my plan. I'm going to use my existing cable with the attenuator and just change out the 3.5mm TRS for the 2.5mm TRRS balanced.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #9,111 of 10,535
Hmmm heatshrink doesn't hold a bent shape. The ear hooks in the video spring back to the hook shape while still being soft. The cable i have has some rigidity to it and had wire ear hooks on it which were annoying to put on or take off.

Heatshrink holds its shape if its bent to the shape when its cooled. I used clear heatshrink on my IEM cable so I know it works.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #9,113 of 10,535
Ohhhhh.... so you heat it,shrink it and bend it to shape while it cools?? Do you need a jig or something to bend it over?

I used like a marker or large pen as a guide to wrap it around, just so I got the same shape on both sides. I would suggest you shrink it first then reheat it to shape it though as it'll be a lot easier to get the shape your after if your not concerning yourself with shrinking it first. Don't use a lighter / Fire for this either, get a cheap heatgun, makes all the difference.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #9,114 of 10,535
I used like a marker or large pen as a guide to wrap it around, just so I got the same shape on both sides. I would suggest you shrink it first then reheat it to shape it though as it'll be a lot easier to get the shape your after if your not concerning yourself with shrinking it first. Don't use a lighter / Fire for this either, get a cheap heatgun, makes all the difference.

Thanks i have one, just had no idea that heat shrink behaves like that. Now i just need to pick some connectors.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #9,115 of 10,535

This is all correct advice, except I offer (IMHO) a better choice of cylinder around which to shape the hook: the cardboard tube from a roll of aluminum foil. It's easy to punch a hole in one side, stick the connector through the hole, and pull the heatshrink-wrapped cable around the tube. It matches the curve of an ear relatively well, so you can even angle the curl a little so that when you take the cable off the tube, the cable will angle toward the skull just a little, getting the cable right up against the head and neck.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #9,116 of 10,535
This is all correct advice, except I offer (IMHO) a better choice of cylinder around which to shape the hook: the cardboard tube from a roll of aluminum foil. It's easy to punch a hole in one side, stick the connector through the hole, and pull the heatshrink-wrapped cable around the tube. It matches the curve of an ear relatively well, so you can even angle the curl a little so that when you take the cable off the tube, the cable will angle toward the skull just a little, getting the cable right up against the head and neck.

Brilliant!! Another reason I love DIY forums like this!

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #9,117 of 10,535

Thanks, i'll do that. Sound like a great idea.

Regarding connectors, will i generally get what i pay for on Aliexpress? Its so hard to know on that place.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #9,118 of 10,535
Thanks, i'll do that. Sound like a great idea.

Regarding connectors, will i generally get what i pay for on Aliexpress? Its so hard to know on that place.

I waited 3 weeks for my 2pin connectors and they ******* sent me the mmcx ones. I got everything ready but the connectors now and it pissed me off bad.

Anybody got a spared pair of 2pin 0.78 connectors laying around that you can sell to me, or I will have to get those $20 connectors from plussound.
edit: the shipping costs 5 dollars, so that's the total of $25 for a pair of 2pin connectors. Yikes

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9,119 of 10,535
I waited 3 weeks for my 2pin connectors and they ******* sent me the mmcx ones. I got everything ready but the connectors now and it pissed me off bad.

Anybody got a spared pair of 2pin 0.78 connectors laying around that you can sell to me, or I will have to get those $20 connectors from plussound.
edit: the shipping costs 5 dollars, so that's the total of $25 for a pair of 2pin connectors. Yikes

I was just looking at the Plussound ones, they are certainly pricey and probably made in the same factories as half of the ali connectors. Which ones did you get?

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #9,120 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back