DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #8,521 of 10,535
what a differential pair mean is that there are 2 conductors and the receiving device takes the difference between the 2 conductors as the signal. so a signal coming from the source device will be converted to a positive and negative version of itself and then passed to the positive and negative conductor respectively. mathematically: positive - negative = 2 positive

normally, since the cable is next to each other, the same noise is introduced into the 2 conductors, then the receiving device will cancel out the noise. mathematically: (positive+noise) - (negative+noise) = 2 positive

2 conductors sitting parallel to each other are not the same EXACT distance to the noise source though, esp if the noise source is close by, twisted pair fixes this. twisted differential pair, or just twisted pair, is better than 2 separate parallel cables because in a twisted pair, the average distance of the 2 cables to the source of the noise is the same therefore the strength of the noise is the same. mathematically, same as above, but just ensures the positive noise = negative noise as close as possible. the difference in distance is really small, but for things like microphone cable in concert hall or for long runs of ethernet cable the total difference can be significant.

Shield is another way to reduce noise, if the shield is properly grounded, it forms what's is called a Faraday cage and block the noise from getting to the signal cable.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #8,522 of 10,535
I'm curious how much wire you guys are putting in a good full sized headphone cable? I've got an 8 wire 24 awg stranded cable made. That works out to about 15awg.

What are you running?

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #8,523 of 10,535
I'm curious how much wire you guys are putting in a good full sized headphone cable? I've got an 8 wire 24 awg stranded cable made. That works out to about 15awg.

What are you running?
I have some 4 strand and some 16 strand. No sonic differences as far as I can tell. sonically, I think 24-28 AWG is all you need. Anything else is just for fun.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #8,524 of 10,535

What are you running?

I recently put together a 8 wire. dual mono 4 wire, each with 2x 18awg copper and 2x 28awg silver. The 2 4x wire bundles are twisted together and wrapped in flexicord. I wasn't too sure about the ergonomics before I started but turned out quite OK. can't say much about the workmanship though as this is my first attempt. The sound was a bit thinner than I expected. Maybe next time I will skip the silver.

Nov 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #8,525 of 10,535
I used the thin one (I accidentally order only 1mm) 8 strands: 1.6m
1 strand for L+
1 strand for R+
3 strands for R-
3 strands for L-

and put it on XLR cable with option to use it with STR adapter (that connect the L- and R- to GND)
I believe that the signal wire had to be alone
HTB15X.wXrWi31JjSZJiq6zRspXal.jpg

I made another XLR cable from shilded one, each pair of cable shilded. 1.8m
R- and L- separately got the shield (it's improve the quality in my opinion), like on semi balanced cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4core-Copp...VYDrv_PnBH4008KErg:rk:1:pf:0&var=541077174101
s-l1600.jpg

really stran

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #8,526 of 10,535
hi!! so I'm new to this and maybe this has already been answered here so if some guidance can be given that'd be much appreciated!!

one of my IEM cables has a faulty 3.5mm SE jack that cuts out sound when pressured is applied in a certain direction. I happen to have a cheap 2.5mm balanced cable and was wondering if it's possible for me to switch terminations myself (I'm mediocre at soldering).

most searches I've done usually has to do with larger terminations for headphones or other systems I'm unfamiliar with so I didn't know where else to look

any help is much appreciated thanks!!

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #8,527 of 10,535
hi!! so I'm new to this and maybe this has already been answered here so if some guidance can be given that'd be much appreciated!!

one of my IEM cables has a faulty 3.5mm SE jack that cuts out sound when pressured is applied in a certain direction. I happen to have a cheap 2.5mm balanced cable and was wondering if it's possible for me to switch terminations myself (I'm mediocre at soldering).

most searches I've done usually has to do with larger terminations for headphones or other systems I'm unfamiliar with so I didn't know where else to look

any help is much appreciated thanks!!
If you can unscrew the plugs and see the wires , you might be able to. Post pictures.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #8,528 of 10,535
If you can unscrew the plugs and see the wires , you might be able to. Post pictures.
20181201_121913.jpg
20181201_122103.jpg

if any more pictures are needed, let me know, I know these are not the best.

so the first should be the cheap balanced termination, I can see all the yellow wires being soldered in the middle, with the white wires split on each end.

the next pic is the furutech connector from a cable made by someone who runs an audio store near me. I can't see much past the hot glue but I guess you guys know more about furutech SE connectors.

I don't care about scrapping the balanced cable, I just need the connector.

I really appreciate the feedback :))

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #8,529 of 10,535
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #8,530 of 10,535
Hello, i want to make a custom cable for HD 6XX, but not sure about the wires connection. I have 4 Wires: 2 Red and 2 Black. On the TRS connector: Red1 goes to Tip (Left Channel), Red2 goes to Ring (Right Channel). Black1 and Black2 goes to Sleeve. And on the connectors to the headphone (don't know the name of those connectors) it goes like on this image:
1HKnwZo.jpg

Red1 (Left Channel) goes to the (+) Black connector and one of the Black1 or Black2 (any can go, right ? I'll choose Black1) goes to (-) of the Black Connector. Red2 (Right Channel) goes to the (+) Red connector and Black2 goes to (-) of the Red Connector, in this case.
Can anyone confirm, please, if all the described is correct ?

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #8,531 of 10,535
So guys, I recently built a single-ended 3.5mm 4core cable for my CIEMs, with mmcx termination at the IEMs' side.IMG_20181227_224039-01.jpeg I intend to get a balanced source, and I would like to turn the cable to balanced 2.5mm. But I came across this picture:7402425_thumb.png
Which termination should I choose? Which one is the most common? (The source will be the Zishan DSD DAP)

And another thing: I can see adapters for balanced cables to single ended. What would the wiring of such an adapter be? L+ and R+ on tip and ring respectively, and the L- and R- together on the sleeve of a 3.5mm 3pole jack?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #8,532 of 10,535
So guys, I recently built a single-ended 3.5mm 4core cable for my CIEMs, with mmcx termination at the IEMs' side. I intend to get a balanced source, and I would like to turn the cable to balanced 2.5mm. But I came across this picture:
Which termination should I choose? Which one is the most common? (The source will be the Zishan DSD DAP)

And another thing: I can see adapters for balanced cables to single ended. What would the wiring of such an adapter be? L+ and R+ on tip and ring respectively, and the L- and R- together on the sleeve of a 3.5mm 3pole jack?
i think AK DAP in your table is the most common

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #8,534 of 10,535
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/diy-cable-info-and-resources.14308/

I use this all the time to pull up pin-outs. Scroll down to Headphone connectors and you should see all the designations for all the wiring. 2.5mm and Sennheiser (based on pin size)

Hello, i want to make a custom cable for HD 6XX, but not sure about the wires connection. I have 4 Wires: 2 Red and 2 Black. On the TRS connector: Red1 goes to Tip (Left Channel), Red2 goes to Ring (Right Channel). Black1 and Black2 goes to Sleeve. And on the connectors to the headphone (don't know the name of those connectors) it goes like on this image:
1HKnwZo.jpg

Red1 (Left Channel) goes to the (+) Black connector and one of the Black1 or Black2 (any can go, right ? I'll choose Black1) goes to (-) of the Black Connector. Red2 (Right Channel) goes to the (+) Red connector and Black2 goes to (-) of the Red Connector, in this case.
Can anyone confirm, please, if all the described is correct ?

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #8,535 of 10,535
I'm looking to build a cable for my Tin Audio T2, which will be MMCX on the headphones side, and a 3.5mm on the other. I have the whole concept of building it down, except what to use as the flexible heatshrink on the headphone side, so I can wrap the cable around my ears and have it stay in place? What do you guys use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back