DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 6, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #8,536 of 10,535
I'm looking to build a cable for my Tin Audio T2, which will be MMCX on the headphones side, and a 3.5mm on the other. I have the whole concept of building it down, except what to use as the flexible heatshrink on the headphone side, so I can wrap the cable around my ears and have it stay in place? What do you guys use?
A lot of people use normal clear heatshrink with a "memory wire" solid wire underneath the heatshrink. This will then hold the shape that you desire.

Personally I prefer cables without memory wire as they can sometimes be less comfortable than a cable without one.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #8,538 of 10,535
Is there anything I can do with this? No insulation so I wonder if I can use this copper wires to make a cable
Thanks
IMG_20190104_110140.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #8,539 of 10,535
What kind of memory wire? Like a piece of flexible copper wire?

Solid core wire. Doesn't need to be copper. I often take old power supply unit connectors that I don't need anymore from old PC's and strip the wire from them. You only need a 3" piece per side. You can also find rebar tie wire at any home improvement store.

Or use a paperclip. Anything goes really.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #8,541 of 10,535
How can I create some external noises and check if it affect the cable signal ?
Move all your equipment right under a power transmission tower.

You really don't need to do anything special to check for external noise. Just turn on your system but don't play anything. Turn up the volume. Do you hear any hiss or static? If not, you are good to go. If you do, then you need to investigate.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #8,542 of 10,535
Guys, I can get a lot of speaker cable (transparent pvc insulation) for very cheap. The thing is that the outside diameter is roughly 2mm. The diameter of the copper strands alone is 0.5mm . I want to make 4strand cables, for in-ears. Will I have any problems? Is it too thick?

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #8,545 of 10,535
Not really, but if you’re concerned about microphonics you could always do an over the ear arrangement.

Or a shirt clip.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #8,546 of 10,535
I want to make a cable, the place I am planning on buying has Sommer SC-Stage22 HighFlex on sale, would that make a good cable for braiding?
It's wires are 24awg ofc with 28 strands, is that flexible enough?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #8,547 of 10,535
Nevermind I found some canare L-4E5C, and pulled the trigger on it, hope it will be good enough, I noticed allot of people using it

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #8,548 of 10,535
Hi.

I'm in Australia and I'm really struggling to find some decent cable at a decent price, can anyone recommend a source for:
- 26 or 24AWG Copper or Copper Silver stranded, Litz or non Litz
- If the cable isn't sleeved, a sleeving source too, or are people using shoe laces?

*Toxic Cables don't respond to emails and don't ship to Aus.

My chinese cable experience has been disappointing, but I'm still open to any vendor who doesn't send me copper plated aluminium, claiming Pure OFC.
I have everything else except the cable and sleeve.

Thanks.

The end goal is something like:
81-437-thickbox.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back