DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #8,371 of 10,535
Lmao Allan, I'm one of those dang millennials also and hate anything over 2 day free shipping. I've found that Redco is one of the better suppliers on the east coast, it's usually 3 days and very cheap shipping. I'm not sure how much their shipping prices would change based on location, it's worth looking though

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,372 of 10,535
I have a little question.
I not having the option to make umplaged cable to my headphones and the cable is very thin.
but I can replace the connection from Stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm balanced and with adapter change the connection to XLR Balanced for the amp.
images

my question is, if I will use the balanced 3.5mm connector on my cellphone, is it going to work?
cause cellphone has another 4 pole connection method
adapter.png

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #8,374 of 10,535
No, your phone's 4 pole is only for the mic on the headset. It does not output or input balanced signal.
I want to use balanced cable for stereo purposes too
but the problem is that its the same cable that built to the headphones because they small.
but on the phone instead use the 3rd and 4th connections for the ground as all stereo advises use, the phone set the 4th connector as (mono) Microphone

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #8,376 of 10,535
Do you want to make that TRRS cable for balanced audio from your phone?

Other than that, it's fine to make a converter cable as long as you do not plug in single ended headphones into balanced amplifier.
I have only stereo portable amplifier for outside.
buy in home I use the balanced one.

the portable amp can combine the 3rd and 4th pin because it stereo.
but if I decide to connect it directly to the phone I will lose one side.

so I searching for another solution

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #8,378 of 10,535
I’m getting a set of Pioneer Monitor 10’s in the mail tomorrow and am already planning for the restorations/mods I would like to do to them. Besides putting some hm5 pads I’d also like to deal with the stretched out wonky cable. Anyone have insight into how one would recable these? Because I’m a nerd I’d like to put a similar coiled cable on them, would this https://en-us.sennheiser.com/access...53J5o53k2blz9daBrsdwWWAnJ-XT58yBoCz4UQAvD_BwE cable work? I don’t like the idea of the sennheiser logo being on the plug, but I’m having a hard time finding any other coiled headphone cable with a 6.33mm plug. Any direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Head-Fi!

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #8,379 of 10,535
I have only stereo portable amplifier for outside.
buy in home I use the balanced one.

the portable amp can combine the 3rd and 4th pin because it stereo.
but if I decide to connect it directly to the phone I will lose one side.

so I searching for another solution
You can make one TRRS for your balanced portable amp and another TRS for your phone.

I was going to make an adapter cable that goes from 4 pin XLR mail to 1/4 trs female. Is this a bad idea?
sure should be no problem though I think female 1/4" to male XLR is a little uncommon to me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #8,380 of 10,535
I was going to make an adapter cable that goes from 4 pin XLR mail to 1/4 trs female. Is this a bad idea?
As long as you never use it, you will be fine. If you using it with a balanced amp, you are likely to fry the amp.

In other words, don't make it.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,382 of 10,535
use 6mm connector with 8mm cable. is a bad idea.
I mad the hole bigger with the drill but the cable looks still too much fat and clumsy for it
8mm stereo cable. --> mini xlr 4pin connection + sennheiser hd 598 connection
8mm xlr calbe --> mini xlr 4pin connection
fbC8QvE.jpg

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #8,383 of 10,535
I need some help. I want to make a braided cable for my headphones. I understand the procedure and everything, but there is a certain look I am going for that I am not sure how to re-create.

Specifically, most braided cables look like this when finished:
3173925.jpg

but I am looking for a finished product that looks more like this:
pc_20170821230315.jpg

The VE cable at the bottom is flat-braided, but the paracord itself also has a "flat" look. I don't think it is just the braid, as ursine.audio sells round-braided cables that look similar to what I am going for. I just don't like the light, flimsy look of braided cables like the one on top. I haven't been able to find any tutorials in which the finished product looked remotely similar to the offerings of Venture electronics or Ursine audio. Does anyone know how these companies achieve this look? I don't own cables from either company so I can't reverse engineer it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #8,384 of 10,535
why the low resistance cable that I making, the low resistance heard quite and with worst quality.
it's feels like the gold plated connectors damage the sound.
I using shielded cables, from copper with gold plated connectors and silver contain solder.
the resistance is very low but the sound is worst
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #8,385 of 10,535
Hi guys,
i'm new to the DIY segment. I'm interested in learning to build and make custom headphone cables. I can't wrap my head around the how cables are routed through the y-split for left and right IEM or cans and I can't seem to figure out the multi core to end connectors. From what I've seen there are either 2 connectors to CANs or IEMs which are L/R+ and ground or for balanced L/R+ and L/R- to a 2.5 4.5mm balanced connector. How do the 8 cores route to this? Am I over thinking how this works? Does anyone have a wire diagram I can reference or review. Apologies if this was posted before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back