DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #8,356 of 10,535
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #8,357 of 10,535
It seems the stock cable on my Sennheiser HD6xx headphones lasted a total of 6 months and now the right side is cutting out, so instead of spending good money on another crappy cable, i've decided to make my own. I've already got two different sets of sennheiser connectors on the way, the Cardas ones and the others from Lunas. As for the cable, it seems lots of you are using star quad microphone cables correct? Is this type used mainly due to the Y split in the cable? And that the negative wires are both soldered to a common ground on the 1/8" or 1/4" stereo plug, while each positive is soldered to the other two spots on the plug? If that is the case, would a good cable for me to use be Mogami w2893 (mini-quad superflex cable)?

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8,358 of 10,535
I love mogami 2893, and yes it would work well for this job. It's very flexible, has 4 good cores, and each core is colored (black, red, blue, and clear). Yes, you listed the soldering correctly. Shared ground, left on one pole, right on the other. Test which pole is which though before soldering anything in.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8,359 of 10,535
I have used the Mogami 2893 and it is very good cable. I like to use the star quad and go down to a four pin mini XLR and then use pigtails for the last foot or so with 4 pin standard xlr males, 1/4 inch TRS, and 3.5 mm TRS. The four wires inside the star quad allow for balanced operation if you desire that but they can certainly be used for TRS application. I have more than ten headphone amps and with this configuration I can plug into most anything without constantly plugging a cable in and out of the headphones. Hopefully your issue is the cable and not the female pins on the headphones but certainly plugging in another cable will allow you to troubleshoot and make sure it is the cable.

Here is a photo of a pigtail I built into a four wire braided cable but the principle is the same. Please note that if you have not done a lot of cable building or you are not skilled with soldering or use of a multi-meter, there are certainly easier cables to build.

ripper 1.jpg pigtails.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #8,360 of 10,535
It seems the stock cable on my Sennheiser HD6xx headphones lasted a total of 6 months and now the right side is cutting out, so instead of spending good money on another crappy cable, i've decided to make my own. I've already got two different sets of sennheiser connectors on the way, the Cardas ones and the others from Lunas. As for the cable, it seems lots of you are using star quad microphone cables correct? Is this type used mainly due to the Y split in the cable? And that the negative wires are both soldered to a common ground on the 1/8" or 1/4" stereo plug, while each positive is soldered to the other two spots on the plug? If that is the case, would a good cable for me to use be Mogami w2893 (mini-quad superflex cable)?

Honestly one of the main reasons people use L4E6 is the cost. 50 cents a foot for super good quality wire. If you decide you don't want to braid it you can basically use it as is and have a completed cable in under 10 minutes. w2893 works great as well, I prefer the 26awg because I use 275 paracord sleeving. 275 works with the 24awg in the star quad but it's a lot more annoying. Already been confirmed but yeah that's exactly how you'll solder it.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #8,361 of 10,535
I have used the Mogami 2893 and it is very good cable. I like to use the star quad and go down to a four pin mini XLR and then use pigtails for the last foot or so with 4 pin standard xlr males, 1/4 inch TRS, and 3.5 mm TRS. The four wires inside the star quad allow for balanced operation if you desire that but they can certainly be used for TRS application. I have more than ten headphone amps and with this configuration I can plug into most anything without constantly plugging a cable in and out of the headphones. Hopefully your issue is the cable and not the female pins on the headphones but certainly plugging in another cable will allow you to troubleshoot and make sure it is the cable.

Oh i've already tested that and yes, Its definitely the cable. I've had this happen before with my HD580's and the break tends to happen right at the headphone connector boot. I confirmed this to be the issue by swapping out the cable from my HD580 just to be sure.

As for the wiring configuration, unfortunately none of my amps have balanced connections like XLR or TRRS.

Here is a photo of a pigtail I built into a four wire braided cable but the principle is the same. Please note that if you have not done a lot of cable building or you are not skilled with soldering or use of a multi-meter, there are certainly easier cables to build.

Soldering isn't an issue for me. My Hakko 936 ESD is always ready for action.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #8,362 of 10,535
Cool you should be ready then.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #8,363 of 10,535
Is there any reason why i would use a mini-xlr + pigtail to TRS in my case though? wouldn't that just be a lot of extra work for no benefit since i lack balanced output on my amps?

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #8,364 of 10,535
Nope, you'd just be doing extra work for no reason. If you're planning on getting a balanced amp and only want to make things once you can terminate in a 4 pin XLR male and then make a 4 pin to 6.3mm adapter. It's a more common version of what Paladin's done.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #8,365 of 10,535
I think im just going to order this cable from a place here in LA, cut an end off and wire up some sennheiser connectors for the time being until i gather all the stuff to make a slick looking braided cable as seen in the cable gallery thread. I'm kinda regretting getting a ModMic 4 two weeks ago because had i bought the modmic 5, i could have integrated the cables to make things less bulky. oh well. In the meantime i tore apart some Cat 6 and am gonna practice braiding it and depending on the results, i'll figure out which style ill make.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #8,366 of 10,535
I think im just going to order this cable from a place here in LA, cut an end off and wire up some sennheiser connectors for the time being until i gather all the stuff to make a slick looking braided cable as seen in the cable gallery thread. I'm kinda regretting getting a ModMic 4 two weeks ago because had i bought the modmic 5, i could have integrated the cables to make things less bulky. oh well. In the meantime i tore apart some Cat 6 and am gonna practice braiding it and depending on the results, i'll figure out which style ill make.

If you don't mind a basic looking cable like that don't waste your money. Just go to markertek, buy 5 feet of w2893 and a 3.5mm connector for ~7 bucks shipped and make the cable entirely from scratch. Looks like a 5 foot cable is going to be ~22 from that link.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #8,367 of 10,535
Nope, you'd just be doing extra work for no reason. If you're planning on getting a balanced amp and only want to make things once you can terminate in a 4 pin XLR male and then make a 4 pin to 6.3mm adapter. It's a more common version of what Paladin's done.

What I am doing is for my system and I know other builders with the skills to use the mini four pin XLR’s and they love them. I can use the same pigtails for four different headphones and never unplug a cable from the cups. It is indeed not a common build and you should keep yours simple.

I am building cables with 2893 right now and the headphones use mini four pin xlrs. I will try to post a photo when completed.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #8,368 of 10,535
If you don't mind a basic looking cable like that don't waste your money. Just go to markertek, buy 5 feet of w2893 and a 3.5mm connector for ~7 bucks shipped and make the cable entirely from scratch. Looks like a 5 foot cable is going to be ~22 from that link.

They're east coast, so i'd have to pay $7 shipping and wait till Monday. The cable i linked i can go pickup this afternoon. :) I'm gonna see if they'll sell w2893 by the foot even though its not on their bulk cable page yet its used in many of their cables. Should make it a lot cheaper.

edit/

Better yet... they sell w2893 at Guitar Center by the foot for $1.29. They're like a 5 minute drive.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #8,369 of 10,535
2893.jpg Here is part of a build using Mogami 2893, the cable fits nicely into Amphenol 3.5 mm connectors, there are three cables. Tomorrow they will get ta4f (female four pin XLR's) for use with Audeze headphones. I used heat shrink tubing to maintain the twists as twisted pair and of course red is for right channel. On the split I used adhesive heat shrink tubing and it creates a nice divide when you crimp the center section using long nose pliers or hemostats and with the glue you have a permanent split.

Using this cable, these are fairly light headphone cables and a relatively quick build. I was training a new employee so they did not get finished today but shall be tomorrow morn. :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #8,370 of 10,535
They're east coast, so i'd have to pay $7 shipping and wait till Monday. The cable i linked i can go pickup this afternoon. :) I'm gonna see if they'll sell w2893 by the foot even though its not on their bulk cable page yet its used in many of their cables. Should make it a lot cheaper.

edit/

Better yet... they sell w2893 at Guitar Center by the foot for $1.29. They're like a 5 minute drive.

I think Markertek shipping is free anywhere in the ConUSA for standard shipping. Now I understand you not wanting to wait, especially if you are a millennial. Also, make sure the cable is gluten free and that you take a selfie with it once you are done! Once you post, we'll give you a trophy :)

note, the above is humor, and is meant to make you smile. If you are offended, well, that's another millennial thing :)

Note, that was more humor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back