DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 13, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #7,667 of 10,535
That's interesting, why do they use 2 cables twisted for one connection? and what awg is each individual cable?

That's just the picture, it's normal minature starquad with 4 individual cables inside.

Specs are here: http://www.van-damme.com/12a.html

I really like it anyway, nice neutral cable

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #7,668 of 10,535
That's interesting, why do they use 2 cables twisted for one connection? and what awg is each individual cable?

If you are going to a trs connector you need three connections not four (as in a balanced cable) so it is just a way of using the wire you have. I am not sure of the original wire gauge but any time you double the conductors you are increasing the wire gauge. Two 24 awg wires attached together would give you around 21 awg, there are charts on this so I may be slightly off on the final gauge...I am going from memory.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #7,671 of 10,535
You double the wire but the gauge does not double, it usually increases by about 3. The larger the gauge, the more power a wire can handle and the more easily it will pass a signal but I doubt you would hear much volume difference between 21 and 24 awg at say six feet. Use 8 gauge speaker wire compared to say 16 awg and you may notice more of a difference.

Second question, you can do it that way with the paracord and use the wires you have, or you can strip each wire out of the overall jacket and use just three or four wires if you want. Most often star quad I have seen uses 24 or 26 awg. The lower the number, the larger the wire gauge by the way. 8 awg is huge, 26 or 28 awg is getting fairly small.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #7,672 of 10,535
List done i think i will go with this,

two of this: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Sale...lgo_pvid=e5a5c8aa-a6b5-450c-8333-27ea1adc2bae
one of this https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Silv...lgo_pvid=e5a5c8aa-a6b5-450c-8333-27ea1adc2bae
50 foot of 550 Paracord US Made GSA Compliant - Black to make one black cable
50 foot of 550 Paracord US Made GSA Compliant - White to make one white cable
20 ft of https://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Damme-...le-Black-268-029-000-/172334413925?rmvSB=true

and i will make them single, not braided them, because it's too expensive to just try to make a cable, maybe after i could make them i make try to do a braided one.

It that products enought to make the 2 cables? and i have to divide the cable in 4 stripes and use only 3 right?

Sorry for all the questions, but i dont want to spend like 50$ and the material don't fit to make the cables.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,673 of 10,535
I can't see what that last link is (20 ft of...) but it looks good. Do you have any heat shrink also? You can get it pretty cheap on aliexpress, and I think for 550 paracord you'll need at least 4mm heatshrink (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-M...lgo_pvid=82a3902b-ad8d-4bfd-a1a6-19206105b52e

Sorry for that awful link

What I did for my 550 paracord cable was just left all 4 cables twisted together and threaded that through the paracord together, and then just ignore the 4th cable.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #7,674 of 10,535
4 mm heat shrink tubing is pretty small to fit over 550 paracord. a quarter inch paracord is 6.36 mm and that is more the size I would use, or something larger.

For TRS connectors, 3.5 mm and 1/4 inch you only need three wires, left channel, right channel and a shared ground. Dual entry cables to a balanced connector use four wires, separate grounds.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #7,676 of 10,535
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,677 of 10,535
I have used silicone sealant before inside connectors but not really for that specific purpose. I have never done testing on it but I doubt seriously I could locate people who could tell a difference. My employees generally use hot glue but it is more to act as an added strain relief than a micro-vibration inhibitor. My problem with silicone is that it is very difficult to remove in the event you do develop a problem with the cable down the road or if you want to change connectors on a particular cable and salvage the old connector. With hot glue, you just reheat it and remove the majority of it. Depending on the type, many are fairly flexible even when cooled.

Later this morn I hope to remove some female xlr's from a cable and replace them with male, they are on a short pigtail that plugs into a mini four pin xlr on a headphone cable.I will then reuse the females for the balanced output from a dac into two class a amps that were an exceptional deal. Each amp has an XLR jack on the front, thus I now need plugs on the end of my pigtail. Being Neutrik connectors, there was no need for any hot glue or silicone sealant. I honestly cannot believe either would cause me to "relax and listen". I am more apt to relax and listen with two fingers of a very old single malt scotch with no snake oil additive.:)

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #7,678 of 10,535
I am almost ready to take the plunge and try making a cable. One simple question I have not been able to find an answer to.

My cable will be Y-split, so one common coming from each side down to the Y. So what do I do with the common from there? Do you all solder the two common together there, so you have only one common running down to the jack? Or do you take both common all the way down to the jack? I would think that would make soldering to the jack a challenge, with double the wire thickness.

I guess one more question :) what size heat shrink recommended using this wire?

\https://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893-Miniature-Quad-Microphone-Cable.html

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #7,679 of 10,535
If I understand your question, you can take the two commons all the way down to the plug unless you are building a balanced cable. That is not a large wire gauge so doubling the wire at the ground on a connector should not be much of an issue. Heat shrink size for that cable, (if you are going over the jacket), 1/4 inch might work but 3/8 diameter would certainly be large enough. If you use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing you can pretty much build a Y split into it by compressing it in the center when hot. I have posted photos of this before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back