DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #7,366 of 10,535
I'm not the type of Head-Fi user who mods a ton, but recently, my Denon D2000 cables has been cutting out on the right headphone. Can anybody suggest a cheap (Under $50) headphone cable replacement? I'm really just looking for something I can easily solder that isn't as long or as thick as the D2000s.
Maybe time for a removable cable mod if you are going to be opening it up. 2.5 or 3.5mm jacks open up cable possibilities.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7,367 of 10,535
Is there a paracord chart that lists the ID size with the cord removed?

I've used 95 and 275 paracord for individual 24awg wires stripped out from Van Damme mic cable. For a two-wire run above a y split 550 should be ample. If your wires are thin and your braiding is tight then 550 might work for a four-strand braid too.

Of course here in Europe the categories of paracord size seem to vary from shop to shop, as does the softness and flexibility of the sleeving...

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #7,368 of 10,535
I've used 95 and 275 paracord for individual 24awg wires stripped out from Van Damme mic cable. For a two-wire run above a y split 550 should be ample. If your wires are thin and your braiding is tight then 550 might work for a four-strand braid too.

Of course here in Europe the categories of paracord size seem to vary from shop to shop, as does the softness and flexibility of the sleeving...
Thanks I already have some 550, was looking for the size for individual cable. Might give 95 a try

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #7,369 of 10,535
Is there a paracord chart that lists the ID size with the cord removed?

I am wanting to use paracord to sleeve the conductors out of Mogami W2534 cable, I know its 1.6mm. I also have some left over W2893 which has 1mm conductors, 26AWG isn't great but If I tie 2 together it becomes 23AWG and might look nicer braided. Just wanting to work out which size paracord to use. Techflex lists minimum and maximum sizes, I just can't seem to find anything for paracord.

nope. I can tell you the 95lb will be too small for two wires. Most of us just sleeve them individually and make an 8 strand braid.

I'm not the type of Head-Fi user who mods a ton, but recently, my Denon D2000 cables has been cutting out on the right headphone. Can anybody suggest a cheap (Under $50) headphone cable replacement? I'm really just looking for something I can easily solder that isn't as long or as thick as the D2000s.

There are three possible places where the cable is causing this issue. The plug, the wire, or the connection in the cups. First thing to do is wiggle the cups and see if the issue is there. If it is, you might just need to resolder a joint. Then wiggle th cable around the plug. Same potential solution. You can even cur the wire and solder on a new plug, or just desolder the old one, and reuse it, if possible.

If it's the wire, then you need to re-cable. The easiest wire to use is SummerCable SC-Peacock mk2. Strip, solder, put a piece of heat shrink at the Y to keep the cable from splitting, and done.
http://usashop.sommercable.com/en/C...h-Mikrofonkabel-SC-Peacock-MKII-200-0551.html
Downside is that it's a little thick. It's the same wire used on the old beyerdynamic T1.

You can buy a Sennheiser HD650 for $11, snip the tips off, and use that as a cable. Would probably word well. If it's too long, you can cut it shorter.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-650--cable
Problem is that is goes out of stock often, but if you check daily, it will come back. You will not get a better cable for under $50, and this one is only $11 w/free shipping.

Finally, if you want to get sucked into the cable making black pit, mogami quad is the cable many of us use.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #7,371 of 10,535
Sorry I wasn't clearer, I am wanting to sleeve them individually so I can use my Kumihimo disc.
Interesting. They will be quite thick for kumihimo. I'm curious how that turns out.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #7,372 of 10,535
Does anyone know how the 2.5mm TRS connectors are wired for newer Hifimans? Do you run + to both tip and ring per side or do you only wire the right + to the ring on the right and left + to the tip on the left and leave the other ones alone?

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,373 of 10,535
For the
Does anyone know how the 2.5mm TRS connectors are wired for newer Hifimans? Do you run + to both tip and ring per side or do you only wire the right + to the ring on the right and left + to the tip on the left and leave the other ones alone?

For the HE400i both + are wired to the tips, the negatives are both wired to the - plate/sleeve (per side).

You could probably get away with using 2.5mm TS/mono plugs.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #7,374 of 10,535
For my 400i I used Switchcraft 850X connectors. They are TS, not TSR. Hifiman uses TSR because they are easier to source I assume but aren't necessary. So each side just goes + to tip and then - to sleeve.

Edit: Ninja'd by zacrobmer

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #7,375 of 10,535
For the

For the HE400i both + are wired to the tips, the negatives are both wired to the - plate/sleeve (per side).

You could probably get away with using 2.5mm TS/mono plugs.

For my 400i I used Switchcraft 850X connectors. They are TS, not TSR. Hifiman uses TSR because they are easier to source I assume but aren't necessary. So each side just goes + to tip and then - to sleeve.

Edit: Ninja'd by zacrobmer

Awesome thank you both. I already purchased the red/black 2.5mm trs pair from Redco. The only mono I could find with a shoulder were 3x the price or more. If I had the headphones I could've tested the original cable but I wont have them till december (he4xx).

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7,376 of 10,535
Awesome thank you both. I already purchased the red/black 2.5mm trs pair from Redco. The only mono I could find with a shoulder were 3x the price or more. If I had the headphones I could've tested the original cable but I wont have them till december (he4xx).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-2-...io-For-HD700-Oppo-PM-1-2-4Colour/272323118354
$1.49 each

also these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Gold-...udio-plug-I-soldering-connector-/322420076616
about $1.00 each, and you get 10. Good for when you screw up the solder and need another :) This is what I used for my PMx2 cables.

A little hard to solder, but they work well.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #7,377 of 10,535
9983653_thumb.jpg

Tom, what is the wire holder called? Who makes it? Where can I get one? Others may want to know too. Is it a coil letter holder, or something made for holding wire/cable?

If you say "it called a wire holder" I reserve the right to slap you :)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #7,378 of 10,535
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,380 of 10,535
It slides on the model 350 series panavise, I am not so sure it will fit on other models that do not have this style assembly....https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panavise/366/366PV-ND/1758 it works with models 366 and 376 vise heads. It does have a clamp and screw arrangement that I could get to work on other devices with a little thought so if you do get one, I am sure you could figure out a way to use it.

Here it is at Digikey..

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=panavise 358

This photo is courtesy of Allied Electronics, they carry them as well.

70200035_large.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back