DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by wje, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chillaxing
    hye guys, is there anywhere else to get 2-pins and 2.5 trrs connectors and jacks besides lunashop or places like plusound or helix?

$20 a set is kind of pricey and lunas takes to long.

2. Feilong4
    Thanks for the advice!

I've soldered it three times to 3 different plugs and got the same result. I think it's definitely just the cable at this point. I forgot to mention that the cable is from a 40 year old headphone and there is some corrosion which I've snipped off at the upper end.

I might have to get a ohmmeter.

I should probably just make a cable. Is there a place where I could get wires for a relatively low price in the US? Lunashops would take a bit too long to arrive.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. Paladin79
    I am not allowed to sell on here but if you let me know what you are considering building I would probably be allowed to send you some samples no charge.

4. Feilong4
    That would be great!

Something like these: https://imgur.com/a/La7XW

5. Paladin79
    Can you do your own braiding? I have some excellent OFC 24 awg with two different colors of jacket, you could do a four wire braid with it. It is quality wire and if I sent you four 10 foot pieces you could easily do a 7 foot braid. PM me your shipping info and I will see what I can do for you. If you cannot do a four wire braid I will see what I can do there as well. To save you buying an ohmmeter I can pre mark the wires with some heatshrink tubing so you can keep them straight if that helps.

6. Feilong4
    I haven't tried braiding cables as of yet. Is this essentially what I'm supposed to do? http://www.headfonia.com/a-cable-not-rocket-science/2/

If so, I can try it out to learn how to do it. If you could do it, that would also be great.

I'll PM you my details.

7. Paladin79
    That is essentially what you are supposed to do except I am not sure I would use their diagram. Look for folks on here that have explained a four wire braid, it has been covered many times. If my people have time I will have it braided for you, if not it would probably be a fun thing for you to learn.

8. Feilong4
    Thanks! I'll search through the thread for the 4 wire braid.

9. Paladin79
    IMG_2152.JPG There are different braid patterns in four wire I would think but hopefully you can see a finished result. If we do braid it and you do not like the pattern, you can unbraid it and start over of course.

Here is the sample wire I will send you, it has been partially braided so you can at least see the braid pattern and go from there. Portions of what are braided are incorrect but my builder kept getting interrupted and kept messing up as she returned to the project. (see law of diminishing returns). Anyway all four wires are marked so you know which is which and it is free but you will have to re-braid part of it.

Tom

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. Paladin79
    Ok I have a question and one I could research myself but someone may be able to answer this quickly and save me the trouble of looking it up.

What is the pin out for the four pin XLR balanced output on a Cavalli liquid carbon amp? If there is anything different on the xlr balanced inputs it would be good to know that as well.

Someone shows this as a standard four pin xlr wiring:

1 - left channel +
    2 - left channel -
    3 - right channel +
    4 - right channel -

correct for Cavalli?

thanks in advance

Tom

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  11. Allanmarcus
    correct. Everyone uses that pinout

and this link will help
    https://www.head-fi.org/articles/diy-cable-info-and-resources.14308/

Paladin79 likes this.
  12. Paladin79
    Thanks Allan, I figured there must be a standard so one amp could accommodate different headphone cables used with various headphones. I got busy with work stuff and did not have much time to investigate and I may be building a cable this very weekend. Most likely from four pin mini xlr to 4 pin standard xlr, another great use for star quad cable lol.

later

Letmebefrank likes this.
  13. s4tch
    hi guys, i recently bought a centrance hifi-m8 and an akg n40, and i'd like to have a custom xlr-mmcx cable for them. question is: where to get proper mmcx connectors? eidolic looks like a good option, but i can't find it anywhere in stock. do you have any other ideas on sub-$20 mmcx connectors? thanks!

also, soft, light braided cable. materials would be welcome :)

14. hoskoau
    Is there a paracord chart that lists the ID size with the cord removed?

I am wanting to use paracord to sleeve the conductors out of Mogami W2534 cable, I know its 1.6mm. I also have some left over W2893 which has 1mm conductors, 26AWG isn't great but If I tie 2 together it becomes 23AWG and might look nicer braided. Just wanting to work out which size paracord to use. Techflex lists minimum and maximum sizes, I just can't seem to find anything for paracord.

15. Corbet
    I'm not the type of Head-Fi user who mods a ton, but recently, my Denon D2000 cables has been cutting out on the right headphone. Can anybody suggest a cheap (Under $50) headphone cable replacement? I'm really just looking for something I can easily solder that isn't as long or as thick as the D2000s.