DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #6,826 of 10,535

Thank you! It's been difficult for me to find these, lol.

I'm not sure if I need stereo or not though, I assume headphones use stereo jacks since my cable is terminated with a 1/4". I assume stereo means there's a place to solder a left, right, and ground cable 
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,827 of 10,535

If it has two small bands separating conductors, it is stereo, tip ring and sleeve (TRS)

Mono is one small band, tip and sleeve (TS)

Yours should be stereo, I was in a hurry and figured that is what you needed and listed both types. The TRS and TS applies to 1/4 inch, 3.5 mm and 2.4 mm plugs and jacks.

If they describe them as three conductor they are stereo. Sometimes it is just the key words and spacing you use when searching for a connector. I buy several hundred a week of various types so I am fairly used to it.
L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #6,828 of 10,535

Generally speaking if I do a braid, I try to use three wires if going trs to trs, four wires for balanced cables. Generally I use ofc wire but have experimented with Litz, OCC copper and silver, etc.

Hopefully, I got the right materials to make my cables:

Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad 
http://www.markertek.com/Attachments/ProductSpecs/StarQuad-Specs.pdf

Switchcraft 297 TRS 1/4 Inch Phone Plug Cable End-solder terminals
http://www.markertek.com/Attachments/Specifications/Switchcraft/297-Specifications.pdf

Swithchcraft 880x 2.5 mm
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/393/850X_855X_880X_CD-477045.pdf

So I guess the star quad isn't ofc??? Doesn't say it is in the description. Bummer...

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #6,829 of 10,535
  Hopefully, I got the right materials to make my cables:

Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad 
http://www.markertek.com/Attachments/ProductSpecs/StarQuad-Specs.pdf

Switchcraft 297 TRS 1/4 Inch Phone Plug Cable End-solder terminals
http://www.markertek.com/Attachments/Specifications/Switchcraft/297-Specifications.pdf

Swithchcraft 880x 2.5 mm
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/393/850X_855X_880X_CD-477045.pdf

So I guess the star quad isn't ofc??? Doesn't say it is in the description. Bummer...

Mogami uses some that is. It has been a while since I read much on the Canare but some companies do not always list that info, same with Belden.  I do believe the Canare is ofc though, if you do enough research I bet you can find out.

I cannot pull up that PDF on the switchcraft 1/4 inch but if you go with Amphenol or Neutrik they will lock onto the cable better.
https://www.markertek.com/product/np3c/neutrik-np3c-1-4-inch-trs-male-cable-plug

This connector in black and gold is quite good and you would love the way it locks onto the cable.

Tom

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #6,830 of 10,535

If it has two small bands separating conductors, it is stereo, tip ring and sleeve (TRS)

Mono is one small band, tip and sleeve (TS)

Yours should be stereo, I was in a hurry and figured that is what you needed and listed both types. The TRS and TS applies to 1/4 inch, 3.5 mm and 2.4 mm plugs and jacks.

If they describe them as three conductor they are stereo. Sometimes it is just the key words and spacing you use when searching for a connector. I buy several hundred a week of various types so I am fairly used to it.
L3000.gif

Yeah! The cable is definitely stereo lol. I'm just not sure how to know whether the female connector is stereo or not 
rolleyes.gif

Oh ok, awesome! Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though, which do you recommend, the Rean or the Switchcraft?

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #6,831 of 10,535
  Yeah! The cable is definitely stereo lol. I'm just not sure how to know whether the female connector is stereo or not 
rolleyes.gif

Oh ok, awesome! Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though, which do you recommend, the Rean or the Switchcraft?

Both are quality connectors, I use both brands as well as Amphenol. Rean is best on price; between myself and my workers we have sent out more Rean (neutrik) on cables than any other brand, I have never had one fail as far as quarter inch or XLR. I can only recall replacing about two of the 3.5 mm in 12 years. I do prefer their locking system on their larger connectors. The cable itself would probably break before a wire coming off the inside contacts when pulled with a lot of force.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #6,832 of 10,535

Both are quality connectors, I use both brands as well as Amphenol. Rean is best on price; between myself and my workers we have sent out more Rean (neutrik) on cables than any other brand, I have never had one fail as far as quarter inch or XLR. I can only recall replacing about two of the 3.5 mm in 12 years. I do prefer their locking system on their larger connectors. The cable itself would probably break before a wire coming off the inside contacts when pulled with a lot of force.

Geez, that's awesome! 

Thank you! 
dt880smile.png

Would this 3.5mm be a good match up?

http://www.markertek.com/product/ntp3rc/neutrik-ntp3rc-3-5mm-stereo-right-angle-mini-plug-nickel-nickel

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #6,833 of 10,535
  Geez, that's awesome! 

Thank you! 
dt880smile.png

Would this 3.5mm be a good match up?

http://www.markertek.com/product/ntp3rc/neutrik-ntp3rc-3-5mm-stereo-right-angle-mini-plug-nickel-nickel

I have used hundreds of those and they are great. They also have a gold and black version of that connector as well. It is the only 3.5 mm right angle I use unless I need an extended tip.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,834 of 10,535

I have used hundreds of those and they are great. They also have a gold and black version of that connector as well. It is the only 3.5 mm right angle I use unless I need an extended tip.

Oh, awesome! It's surprising how cheap these are on this site. This same angled connector is twice the price + Shipping on amazon.

While I'm here though, I have a quick question about wire. Lately I've just be stripping the wire out of cheap audio cables I have lying around. However, if I wanted to use a "slightly" nicer cable than some scrap cable, what am I looking for? Can I use speaker cable?

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #6,835 of 10,535
  Oh, awesome! It's surprising how cheap these are on this site. This same angled connector is twice the price + Shipping on amazon.

While I'm here though, I have a quick question about wire. Lately I've just be stripping the wire out of cheap audio cables I have lying around. However, if I wanted to use a "slightly" nicer cable than some scrap cable, what am I looking for? Can I use speaker cable?

speaker cable is fairly large gauge compared to most things you would use to build a headphone cable. The smaller the number, the larger the gauge. I generally use 24 awg for headphone cables, some use 26 awg. Most speaker wire is at least 16 gauge which you would never fit into that small of a connector. You also want to do twisted pair. Read up on that if you get a chance. Strand count is a factor too and can affect flexibility and conductivity.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #6,836 of 10,535

speaker cable is fairly large gauge compared to most things you would use to build a headphone cable. The smaller the number, the larger the gauge. I generally use 24 awg for headphone cables, some use 26 awg. Most speaker wire is at least 16 gauge which you would never fit into that small of a connector. You also want to do twisted pair. Read up on that if you get a chance. Strand count is a factor too and can affect flexibility and conductivity.

Oh ok! So if I want to get some online, I just look for 24 awg speaker wire?

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #6,837 of 10,535
Oh ok! So if I want to get some online, I just look for 24 awg speaker wire?

No speaker wire is larger gauge. You can look for 24 awg stranded wire but you want high quality wire for say headphone cables. I will try to explain more later.

Are you located in the USA? If so I can send you some quality cable, 24 awg ofc so you will not have to hunt around for it and then you will understand what I am talking about. Are you attempting to build headphone cables?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #6,838 of 10,535
Don't use speaker wire. There are as Tom says much better and will not break the bank. Most here use microphone cable and with good results. Most speaker wire has a large diameter cover also so much harder to fit in the connectors.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #6,839 of 10,535
No speaker wire is larger gauge. You can look for 24 awg stranded wire but you want high quality wire for say headphone cables. I will try to explain more later.

Are you located in the USA? If so I can send you some quality cable, 24 awg ofc so you will not have to hunt around for it and then you will understand what I am talking about. Are you attempting to build headphone cables?

Oh ok. I was jus wondering since I have some GE speaker wire I bought at Walmart to connect some bookshelves to my CD player. It's fairly thin.  It's probably not a big issue considering this is just an extension, but then I realized it probably wouldn't fit the connectors (since you mention it). 

Yeah, I'm in AZ. I would definitely appreciate that, I'm still new to this (and hi-fi audio in general). I am starting to just a little. I made a tiny 3" cable out of scrap parts to connect my JDSlab O2 with my Scarlett 2i2 (I posted it on the Custom cable display thread). I'm sure my next one will come out better. I'm starting out with shorter length cables like this extension and what not. 

Don't use speaker wire. There are as Tom says much better and will not break the bank. Most here use microphone cable and with good results. Most speaker wire has a large diameter cover also so much harder to fit in the connectors.

Oh yeah, I did notice the wrap was really thick on the speaker wire.  So there's no "headphone" specific wires out there? (Other than the pretty expensive silver/Cryo-copper ones sold by custom cable manufacturers, I guess).

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #6,840 of 10,535
  Oh ok. I was jus wondering since I have some GE speaker wire I bought at Walmart to connect some bookshelves to my CD player. It's fairly thin.  It's probably not a big issue considering this is just an extension, but then I realized it probably wouldn't fit the connectors (since you mention it). 

Yeah, I'm in AZ. I would definitely appreciate that, I'm still new to this (and hi-fi audio in general). I am starting to just a little. I made a tiny 3" cable out of scrap parts to connect my JDSlab O2 with my Scarlett 2i2 (I posted it on the Custom cable display thread). I'm sure my next one will come out better. I'm starting out with shorter length cables like this extension and what not. 

Oh yeah, I did notice the wrap was really thick on the speaker wire.  So there's no "headphone" specific wires out there? (Other than the pretty expensive silver/Cryo-copper ones sold by custom cable manufacturers, I guess).

Do as Buke said and get some star quad microphone cable or standard microphone cable and get the wires from that if need be lol. It is hard to find 24 awg ofc sold by itself in spools. I would send you some free but you did not say if you are in the states. If not in the states look for Mogami or Canare star quad and get the 24 or 26 awg wires from that and you will have decent inexpensive wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back