DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #6,856 of 10,535
So is one to use a twisted pair for each channel and a twisted pair for ground? Then, each twisted pair is insulated by paracord; braided to the "Y", where the two channels go to there respective sides? Where does the ground terminate? Ahhhhhh!!! Once I get it Ill be golden! Hahaha.
Twisted pair would be for each channel one for signal or positive and one for ground negative the other twisted pair for the other side.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #6,857 of 10,535
Twisted pair would be for each channel one for signal or positive and one for ground negative the other twisted pair for the other side.

Thanks for the help buke9!
So in layman's speak, if I do a 3 braid:
1/4 plug to "Y"
1st Wire out of 3
Left channel one of the twisted pair wires carries the left signal.
2nd wire out of 3
Right channel (same as above only for right)
3rd wire out of 3
Twisted ground wires

"Y" to left and right 2.5 submini plug
1st wire out of 2
Left twisted pair plus 1 ground terminated to sub mini
2nd wire out of 2
Same as above only right.
Is this right? Please correct if I'm wrong.
Probably seems so rudimentary, but to me its confusing...lol.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #6,859 of 10,535
1/4 plug to "Y"
1st Wire out of 3
2nd wire out of 3
3rd wire out of 3
Twisted ground wires

1st wire out of 2
2nd wire out of 2

This is only for balanced cables right?

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #6,860 of 10,535
Hello guys!

I have some dumb questions regarding my first cable:

I would like to build a DIY cable for my CIEM with the following product:
https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product/silver-poison-1ft-7n-26awg-occ-cryo-stranded-silver1-gold-wire-2/

Since the cable is twisted inside, where do I know which end i need to solder to which pin and to which end of the TRRS plug?
Or did I completely misunderstand it and need 4 of these cables to build 1 cable for my CIEM?

I know those questions might sound dumb, but I would really appreciate a serious answer!

Best regards,

Steve

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #6,861 of 10,535

1/4 plug to "Y"
1st Wire out of 3
2nd wire out of 3
3rd wire out of 3
Twisted ground wires

1st wire out of 2
2nd wire out of 2

A headphone is just like two speakers, one left and one right. Each speaker has a "hot" wire and a ground wire. Sometimes these are referred to a plus and minus. you need to run two wire from each speaker (or headphone cup, in this case) to the plug. With a single ended plug (one that has only three parts, the tip, the sleeve, and the ring) you run the right hot to the ring, the left hot to the tip, and both grounds to the sleeve.

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #6,862 of 10,535
x blah blah blah x Ignore this 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #6,863 of 10,535
Hello guys!

I have some dumb questions regarding my first cable:

I would like to build a DIY cable for my CIEM with the following product:
https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product/silver-poison-1ft-7n-26awg-occ-cryo-stranded-silver1-gold-wire-2/

Since the cable is twisted inside, where do I know which end i need to solder to which pin and to which end of the TRRS plug?
Or did I completely misunderstand it and need 4 of these cables to build 1 cable for my CIEM?

I know those questions might sound dumb, but I would really appreciate a serious answer!

Best regards,

Steve

You need four wires of that, two for right and two for left.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #6,864 of 10,535
Also, this might be helpful to those new to a multimeter. This is how you use it to test to see if one end of a wire is connected to something else.

https://sites.google.com/a/marcusfamily.info/diy/hints-and-tips/testingcontinuity

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #6,865 of 10,535
Also, this might be helpful to those new to a multimeter. This is how you use it to test to see if one end of a wire is connected to something else.

https://sites.google.com/a/marcusfamily.info/diy/hints-and-tips/testingcontinuity

Thank you for this link! I was doing this but I didn't know there was a special function on a multimeter for continuity.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #6,866 of 10,535
Somewhere in all of this there was a question about why is the wire braided.

Braiding, if done well is a way of using twisted pair with three or more wires. You have to keep the wires from running parallel to each other.

I read this quickly so that may or may not have been answered.

You always have a left channel, a right channel and a ground. In balanced there are two separate grounds, in three wire both the left and right channels share the same ground, thus it is a common ground.

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #6,868 of 10,535
I see why guys just buy the cables...I give up...lol.

Ive got a new soldering iron and panavise for sale if anyone is interested.

It's not that hard, but it is a hobby. Most people start easy and use shielded coax cable and make RCA interconnects. They end up costing the same or slightly more than premium Monoprice cables, but they are easy to make. You then graduate to quad cable. Simply strip the cable 18 inches down, run each pair of wires through techflex, add some heatshrink to the y, solder, a little more heat shrink, and you have a cable that cost half as much as sells for on eBay. Start getting fancier and you can make cables that sell for 200 that only cost 30. If you get crazy like I do, and some others, you can make cables for $100 that would cost you 500-1000 to buy

The benefit of making your own is mostly in the fun of making them.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #6,869 of 10,535

Quote:
I see why guys just buy the cables...I give up...lol.

Ive got a new soldering iron and panavise for sale if anyone is interested.

I tried to get you to start on simple cables lol. There is not a lot to it but you have to spend a little time gaining an understanding of the wire and connections. If you get into braiding it is easier to learn by watching Youtube videos, there are plenty of them out there.

If you are ever up this way visiting, if you stopped in I could probably teach you most anything in an hour or so but that is up to you. If you can talk Anixter out of one of these books they can really help.

Tom

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #6,870 of 10,535
Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime

I know I should learn the theory of basic cables first, then start out making a simple cable, but that would take the fun out of it. 

If all else fails read the directions! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back