DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 17, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #5,116 of 10,535
  Well since I pulled the trigger on a Yggdrasil I though i would give it some love. A little solid silver love. I had to cannibalize the connectors from my old interconnects so I can't tell if there is a big difference in sound but the Yggy is really good.

Very nice, where do you source your solid silver wire?

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #5,117 of 10,535

Very nice, where do you source your solid silver wire?

Ebay a guy in the UK. 6 x 26 awg . $50 for one meter. Pre braided.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #5,118 of 10,535
I'm trying to fix my headphones, and I'm looking for cable and jacks. I want the cable to be removable from the headphones so I can switch different length cables to use on pc and hometheater. Anyway. Could someone help me find the jack that goes inside the headphones and jack that goes on to the both ends of the cable? I would like to have small jacks like in this picture (Sorry cant add pictures). Also, they should be able to ship to Finland!

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/77/77cd37a7_s-l1600.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,119 of 10,535
  I'm trying to fix my headphones, and I'm looking for cable and jacks. I want the cable to be removable from the headphones so I can switch different length cables to use on pc and hometheater. Anyway. Could someone help me find the jack that goes inside the headphones and jack that goes on to the both ends of the cable? I would like to have small jacks like in this picture (Sorry cant add pictures). Also, they should be able to ship to Finland!

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/77/77cd37a7_s-l1600.jpeg

There are lots on Ali Express that I'm sure ship to Finland .

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5,120 of 10,535
Balanced audio quesiton - does it matter if the positive signal is connected to whats normally the ground on the earphone side?

TRS1 = Tip = R+
TRS1 = Sleeve = R-

TRS2 = Tip = L-
TRS2 = Sleeve = L+

Would i get polarity/phase issues if its wired this way?

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #5,121 of 10,535
OK, this is amusing. Kimber Kable showed some headphone cable at AXPONA and this is how Enjoy The Music reported it:

Kimber Kable developed a new precision hand-braided process that allows the conductors to seamlessly separate from 16 wires to 8 wires within the transition. This eliminates the need for a solder joint, which can be detrimental to the sound

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2016/Kimber_Kable_Axios/

Just think, they developed a way not to have a solder joint at the Y split! Why didn't anyone here thing of that? 
atsmile.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #5,122 of 10,535
  OK, this is amusing. Kimber Kable showed some headphone cable at AXPONA and this is how Enjoy The Music reported it:

Kimber Kable developed a new precision hand-braided process that allows the conductors to seamlessly separate from 16 wires to 8 wires within the transition. This eliminates the need for a solder joint, which can be detrimental to the sound

Just think, they developed a way not to have a solder joint at the Y split! Why didn't anyone here thing of that? 
atsmile.gif

Man, they're just paving a new path, eh?

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5,123 of 10,535
Apr 21, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #5,124 of 10,535

Just think, they developed a way not to have a solder joint at the Y split! Why didn't anyone here thing of that? :atsmile:  
have any of you guys checked out the Kimber? As far as I know it is unique and I'm going to order one.

I'm gonna guess that not too many people that make their own cables also buy $800 Kimber Kables.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #5,125 of 10,535
I'm gonna guess that not too many people that make their own cables also buy $800 Kimber Kables.

In my case, you would be correct. I just can't see paying $800 for maybe $100 in materials. I don't care how much effort it takes to braid the thing. Guess what? My cables also don't have those terrible splices at the Y. It's not some top secret formula, you just braid all of the individual wires until you reach the Y and then split them off with a fewer number of wires. What exactly makes them think this is some miraculous technological advancement worth charging 3 to 4 figures for? To each their own. Maybe they do sound better. So what. I highly doubt I could tell the difference between their cables and a coat hanger when it comes to sound quality. I'd rather spend the money on, well, ANYTHING else. I digress.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #5,129 of 10,535
@PETEREK I got the female 3.5mm jack that you suggested, I just need some advice on how to wire it. Is it 1=ground 2=right 3=left?

http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/Tele35s_pinout.shtml

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #5,130 of 10,535

Did you ever think that some people do this as a hobby for the easy connections, but in the critical locations, like the last conductors before the drivers, you'd want to use the best, most advanced cables out there? When Kimber is releasing something like the Axios, I already know my DIY work can't compete. Money well spent, IMO.

*you've got to have figured out I'm just messing around by now. It's braiding... A fuukcing kumihiko braid is 100X more complicated than this, and those have been around for ages. Those miraculously go from any large number of wires in 2 halves, just like we've all been doing for ages. And without solder... This is an add for people who have more dollars than sense. That only care about getting something expensive and then saying it's the best. Good on them. I think my cables are better anyway, but they do have more than $100 worth of materials, which I'm now starting to cry a bit about as it keeps climbing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back