DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,131 of 10,535

I'm gonna guess that not too many people that make their own cables also buy $800 Kimber Kables.

Did you ever think that some people do this as a hobby for the easy connections, but in the critical locations, like the last conductors before the drivers, you'd want to use the best, most advanced cables out there? When Kimber is releasing something like the Axios, I already know my DIY work can't compete. Money well spent, IMO.

*you've got to have figured out I'm just messing around by now. It's braiding... A fuukcing kumihiko braid is 100X more complicated than this, and those have been around for ages. Those miraculously go from any large number of wires in 2 halves, just like we've all been doing for ages. And without solder... This is an add for people who have more dollars than sense. That only care about getting something expensive and then saying it's the best. Good on them. I think my cables are better anyway, but they do have more than $100 worth of materials, which I'm now starting to cry a bit about as it keeps climbing...

For with money to burn, the potentially small increase a sound quality from specialized cables might be worth it. If you have already spent $k on an amp, $2k on a DAC, and 1-5K on headphones, you might be able to hear the difference with a Kimber Kable over a well made DIY or a decent $200 cable. "money well spent" is very relative, and I doubt most head-fi-ers, especially the ones on the DIY thread would agree. 

That all said, is the kimber braid reproducible for us wanna-be's that would rather spend $13 on 18 feet of Mogami W2799 and $20-$30 on connectors? I plan on making my own 8 conductor cable and then blind testing it with my other DIY cables :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,132 of 10,535

For with money to burn, the potentially small increase a sound quality from specialized cables might be worth it. If you have already spent $k on an amp, $2k on a DAC, and 1-5K on headphones, you might be able to hear the difference with a Kimber Kable over a well made DIY or a decent $200 cable. "money well spent" is very relative, and I doubt most head-fi-ers, especially the ones on the DIY thread would agree. 

That all said, is the kimber braid reproducible for us wanna-be's that would rather spend $13 on 18 feet of Mogami W2799 and $20-$30 on connectors? I plan on making my own 8 conductor cable and then blind testing it with my other DIY cables :)

Are you trying to reverse troll me?

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,133 of 10,535

Are you trying to reverse troll me?

I have no idea. I'm just writing honestly.

I do wonder if the kimber braid is anything special, or if a "standard" braiding tutorial at http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/8strand1.htm is pretty much the same.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #5,135 of 10,535
Thanks for the link moody, worked like a charm

Cool beans, any time! Just wanna help any way I can. I have to look these things up myself to make sure I'm doing it right.

I have this note book of notes about stuff like this. Sometimes it's notes about how to upgrade/cross flash the firmware of my HBA for my file server, or notes on how to configure the POS router to work with my IPFire router, other times, it's my cable making notes. One page has the pinouts of TRS, TRRS, XLR and the Hirose connectors that Dan uses for MrSpeakers when I was making my modular cables. I guess it's the aircraft mechanic still in me, never remember, always have the manual with you. Bad things happen when you get over confident and think you know everything. One day this came in handy after I replaced my IPCop router with the IPFire system and we had no Intertubez. I was able to coach my wife through fixing it with my notes over the phone.

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,138 of 10,535
Ok, I'm making progress on the HD800 cable. Pins weren't that hard, but not easy.

Question: once I assemble the connector, how do I provide strain relief? There's nothing in the connector for that. Heatshrink?

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #5,140 of 10,535

Cool beans, any time! Just wanna help any way I can. I have to look these things up myself to make sure I'm doing it right.

I have this note book of notes about stuff like this. Sometimes it's notes about how to upgrade/cross flash the firmware of my HBA for my file server, or notes on how to configure the POS router to work with my IPFire router, other times, it's my cable making notes. One page has the pinouts of TRS, TRRS, XLR and the Hirose connectors that Dan uses for MrSpeakers when I was making my modular cables. I guess it's the aircraft mechanic still in me, never remember, always have the manual with you. Bad things happen when you get over confident and think you know everything. One day this came in handy after I replaced my IPCop router with the IPFire system and we had no Intertubez. I was able to coach my wife through fixing it with my notes over the phone.

The palest of ink is better than the best of memories. This is a very important saying to know.

I keep several "emails" in gmail for audio notes, hardware notes, IT notes, car notes, and basically anything else that I need a working manual on using or doing something with that I might not be doing every day. I recommend this as gmail drafts, or google docs (but slower), are accessible anywhere you can log into your gmail from. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #5,143 of 10,535
Success! The HD800 cable for @kavasc is done! It even works too! Note, I don't normally make cables for others, but kavasc is a family friend.

I can't believe how much I use the "channel identification" track from one of the demo CDs I have. I never thought it would be useful, but it's always great to hear "left change. this is the left channel" come from the left when I test a newly minted cable.

Sommer SC-Peacock MKII cable. Neutrik NC4MXX-B 4-Pin XLR-M Cable Connector. Tech Flex Nylon Multifiliament 3/8 sleeve on lower portion. Norne audio HD800 connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back