DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,021 of 10,535
  Hello All,

I would like to do a cable for the coax out of the Fiio x5

3.5mm to Coax

What type of wire should i use? 
Moreover i'm not sure of the connection i have to do on the 2 termination.

Your advise will be really appreciated.

cheers.

By definition, coaxial connection/cabling = 2 polarities only. Furthermore, coaxial is mostly used for digital signals, not analog.

Looking at the X5, it's not that the jack can 'convert' coaxial (digital) to 3.5mm (analog), but rather the jack can accept 2 kinds of plug/connector, analog line out and digital coax out, and adjust the output accordingly. Another example of this kind of plug is the Astell&Kern DAPs, where it got 1 jack for 3.5mm and optical. 

Now what are you planning to extract from the X5? Analog or digital signal? For analog, get a 3 polarities 3.5mm and cable with 3 polarities (or 3 strands). For digital, maybe get a 2 polarities 3.5mm and coax cable (I'm not too sure about digital coax plug)

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,022 of 10,535

By definition, coaxial connection/cabling = 2 polarities only. Furthermore, coaxial is mostly used for digital signals, not analog.

Looking at the X5, it's not that the jack can 'convert' coaxial (digital) to 3.5mm (analog), but rather the jack can accept 2 kinds of plug/connector, analog line out and digital coax out, and adjust the output accordingly. Another example of this kind of plug is the Astell&Kern DAPs, where it got 1 jack for 3.5mm and optical. 

Now what are you planning to extract from the X5? Analog or digital signal? For analog, get a 3 polarities 3.5mm and cable with 3 polarities (or 3 strands). For digital, maybe get a 2 polarities 3.5mm and coax cable (I'm not too sure about digital coax plug)

Sorry, you're mistaken here.  There is a dedicated Coax output on the X5 1st gen.  The second gen has a single port for Coax and Line Out and you have to set it in the software.  

I assume he's using 1st gen as he didn't specify 2nd gen.  In that case, it's safe to assume he needs a digital output.  I believe you're right that to connector is a 2-pole, but I'll confirm when I get home.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #4,023 of 10,535

Sorry, you're mistaken here.  There is a dedicated Coax output on the X5 1st gen.  The second gen has a single port for Coax and Line Out and you have to set it in the software.  

I assume he's using 1st gen as he didn't specify 2nd gen.  In that case, it's safe to assume he needs a digital output.  I believe you're right that to connector is a 2-pole, but I'll confirm when I get home.

Ah ok then. Yes I referred to the 2nd gen's picture and specs. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #4,024 of 10,535
Hi guys,

thanks for you reply. 
Yes, i'm referring to the Gen 1.

If provides in the packaging a 3.5mm to coax female.

so i belive i need to get a cable with 2 wires.
any specificity on this cable since it is for digital?

thanks again

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,025 of 10,535
  Hi guys,

thanks for you reply. 
Yes, i'm referring to the Gen 1.

If provides in the packaging a 3.5mm to coax female.

so i belive i need to get a cable with 2 wires.
any specificity on this cable since it is for digital?

thanks again

Just measured mine.  Tip to inside of RCA, sleeve to outside of RCA.  Resistance was <1ohm so nothing special it would seem.  I know they like the RCA Coax cable to be 75 ohms optimally so I wonder if the coax output of the X5 is inherently flawed...

As far was what wire you use, it doesn't really matter how many conductors as long as it's more than one.  Any more that two and you can just solder multiple wires to each connection (similar to using 2 wires for ground in a 4-wire cable terminated to TRS).

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,026 of 10,535

Just measured mine.  Tip to inside of RCA, sleeve to outside of RCA.  Resistance was <1ohm so nothing special it would seem.  I know they like the RCA Coax cable to be 75 ohms optimally so I wonder if the coax output of the X5 is inherently flawed...

As far was what wire you use, it doesn't really matter how many conductors as long as it's more than one.  Any more that two and you can just solder multiple wires to each connection (similar to using 2 wires for ground in a 4-wire cable terminated to TRS).

Thanks a lot!

i'm not sure i will find a 2 pole 3.5mm jack easily.

May i use a TRS, and use only the tip and the sleeve?

I have quite a lot of Canare LE-4E6s, i will use the 2 blue wires on the tip and the 2 white one the sleeve

As for the RCA, i will use a Monster.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #4,027 of 10,535

Thanks a lot!

I have quite a lot of Canare LE-4E6s, i will use the 2 blue wires on the tip and the 2 white one the sleeve

That would depend on how the X5 is wired inside, I suppose.  I just checked and the tip and the break are the same lengths as on a 3.5mm TRS so that part should work fine.  After that, it's a crap shoot on whether to wire to the ring or sleeve.  Maybe one wire to each?

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,028 of 10,535
Thanks a lot!

Look for a 3.5mm mono plug.

Should be able to find them easily enough,

This is the US site, but the same connector should be available on that side of the pond too:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-Rean-NYS226BG-3-5mm-Black/dp/B0008JFHI8

While you're at it, you could get a neutrik RCA too. Will be cheaper than Monster (unless you already have the monster jack).

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,029 of 10,535
I just pooped on here to ask the same questions.

I've inquired about that Rean Neutrik from a seller on eBay and was told that it will accept up to a 6mm cable, which is bigger than the coax I happen to have on hand.  Can anyone confirm this spec?  I can't find a spec sheet on this plug.  I suppose they make smaller coax, I just haven't looked yet.

I actually gave up and bought an RCA to 3.5 straight adapter (no cable in the middle).  Of course like a dumbass I cut off the RCA off one end of the coax cable I was cannablizing to install the 3.5mm before I knew that a connector was going to be impossible to find.  Now I have some Nakamichi RCA connectors on order :)   Around and around we go.

Seriously though, why the hell aren't there any big bore 3.5mm connectors.  Or smaller coax cable (or is there?)?  

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4,030 of 10,535

I've inquired about that Rean Neutrik from a seller on eBay and was told that it will accept up to a 6mm cable, which is bigger than the coax I happen to have on hand.  Can anyone confirm this spec?  I can't find a spec sheet on this plug.  I suppose they make smaller coax, I just haven't looked yet.

I actually gave up and bought an RCA to 3.5 straight adapter (no cable in the middle).  Of course like a dumbass I cut off the RCA off one end of the coax cable I was cannablizing to install the 3.5mm before I knew that a connector was going to be impossible to find.  Now I have some Nakamichi RCA connectors on order :)   Around and around we go.

Seriously though, why the hell aren't there any big bore 3.5mm connectors.  Or smaller coax cable (or is there?)?  

Rean makes a 3.5mm that is 8mm on the cable side. The smaller Rean is 4.6mm or so I read .181 inches on my calipers and the big one .34 inches that comes out to be 8.6 mm.
Hope that helps Parts Express is where I got mine.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4,031 of 10,535

Pooped?

Anyway, there are big cable holed after market 3.5mm out there. Just have to be patient and keep searching. Ebay is a good place. China products are actually nice these days, or if feeling wanna invest more, get viablue plugs. The T6s (fat ones) accept max. 9.5mm according to the spec.

Or just do what I did. I got this Pailics connector that I'd like to use, but the braided cables were just too big for the hole. So I got an electric drill and one of those cone shaped sanding stone bit. Just enlarge the cable hole manually. It's effortless with the sanding stone bit.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,033 of 10,535
  Ha.  Alas, I did not poop.  Not in here anyway.  Bad forum etiquette.  Shoulda been "popped"

Thanks for the actionable info fellas!!!

Here is a pic of a new set of interconnects I made with the 8 mm Rean connector. The size of cable going in is 4 by #275 paracord measuring about 5 mm or .2 inches.

Just so you can see how much room there is in these connectors. One caveat they are wide and they can't fit in a iPhone case like a Otterbox so keep that in mind.

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4,034 of 10,535

Thanks for the pic!  The Rean has a huge tush with the 4 x.  Definitely would work.

Those WBT's look pretty sweet as well.  Looks like they might even accept a bigger cable than the Rean just eye-balling it.  Maybe even too big?  You could stuff a small child in that gap, man.

Cheers.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #4,035 of 10,535
On the other end of the spectrum: check out this stuff.  I've never seen coax this small before stumbling upon their website today.

O.D. about 3mm!  They have three variants.  Seems like a nice DAP-friendly solution.

Anyone try it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back