DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #3,451 of 10,535
  Is the barrel necessary? Like if I just go find some adhesive heatshrink, solder the connections together, then shrink the tube over it, there is no chance it will pull apart? Or is there something I am missing? I'm doing this for someone else so I can't have it to be too MacGyvered.

its not necessary
i was showing an example
its just to make it look neat

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,453 of 10,535
@ZSamuels28

Paracord, PET techflex, or nylon multifilament sleeving.

Paracordplanet.com, supply captain.

The nylon sleeving like this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-NYLON-SLEEVING-audio-TECHFLEX-25-ft-/360217197985

Depends on what you want to do and personal preference.

Are they just for show or do they actually do something if I use a certain material?

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,454 of 10,535
  Are they just for show or do they actually do something if I use a certain material?

They are just for show.  If you want, you can make it look just like a guitar or microphone cable.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,455 of 10,535

And so cheap, too! DANG.

Well yeah, Canare and paracord. Materials don't get any cheaper than those.
Let's break it down for fun.
$6 worth of cable and paracord for a 6 foot cable. Viable splitter and 1/4" are $30. Mini XLR $3 together. Heatshrink, solder, misc maybe $1-2 worth. These are all non-bulk prices. We'll say $41 total, selling for $90 with those options.

Maybe three hour build time. So earning about $16 hour. It's reasonable when you compare to others.

Still, switch to neutrik connections with no splitter and you can make the same thing yourself for $13. Love me some DIY.

+ we can try different braiding option with DIY, I am working on kumihimo braid for my HE-6 cable, looks awesome (to me) will be able to complete in few days, will post pics soon

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,456 of 10,535

They each serve a purpose IMO.
The PET techflex is a plastic feeling Web that can expand easily. It's great for desktop interconnects. I don't suggest it for headphone cables as it is not quite as flexible and doesn't have a soft feel. That's my preference.

The nylon multifilament sleeving and paracord are very similar. The paracord has has stands inside that need removing. It can also get those hair like fraying after rubbing. A quick pass of a flame fixes that. It's soft and flexible while still being strong. Comes in many of sizes, colors, and patterns. It's a go-to for most.

The nylon multifilament sleeving is a sturdier paracord IMO. It doesn't fray, and is a little thicker/stronger feeling while still being soft and flexible. Only comes in a few colors and sizes. Usually black or silver. So it's a bit limited. Still, I like it a lot.

Everyone has their preferences. You'll developed your own. These are just mine. I suggest trying them all. Get a little of each to play with first.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,457 of 10,535
+ we can try different braiding option with DIY, I am working on kumihimo braid for my HE-6 cable, looks awesome (to me) will be able to complete in few days, will post pics soon

Exactly. I've done a few adapters using kumihimo. You can do some cool stuff with a little creativity.
Good luck finishing it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,459 of 10,535
Well according to THIS PAGE, the Canare RCAP connectors are 75ohm connectors and should work.  Now to figure out if I can put a two-pole 1/8" on one end and bypass the little 1/8" to RCA adapter on my X5.  It might be more trouble than it's worth if there's some sort of resistor to be added.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,460 of 10,535
As long as it redistributes force enough that I can pull on either end of the connection and not worry about it breaking I am a happy camper. It's probably hard to find in my city though. Is there any other way?

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,461 of 10,535
Is there any reason to use mini xlr over 1/4 mono for a balanced headphone setup? Thinking of modding my Beyers even further and putting a 1/4 mono chassis on each side of the headphones and using a dual 1/4 mono to stereo cable. So I guess comes two questions, would this improve SQ or should I leave the 3.5mm jack? Also if I do it will it matter if I use 2 mini xlr 3 pin or 2 mono 1/4?

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,462 of 10,535
Is there any reason to use mini xlr over 1/4 mono for a balanced headphone setup? Thinking of modding my Beyers even further and putting a 1/4 mono chassis on each side of the headphones and using a dual 1/4 mono to stereo cable. So I guess comes two questions, would this improve SQ or should I leave the 3.5mm jack? Also if I do it will it matter if I use 2 mini xlr 3 pin or 2 mono 1/4?

Do you mean 1/8" mono?  Cuz 1/4" is rather gigantic to go in the headphone side...

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,464 of 10,535
You're probably right, and that way I wouldn't need to remove the jack already superglued on there hahaha. So would a mini xlr be better or can I just stick with my 1/8 mono?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know, I'm a noob at this too.  I'd think a mini-xlr would be better simply because it clips in so it'd be more secure.  But it's got a bigger diameter, so depends on what fits.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,465 of 10,535
  As long as it redistributes force enough that I can pull on either end of the connection and not worry about it breaking I am a happy camper. It's probably hard to find in my city though. Is there any other way?

epoxy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back