DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3,424 of 10,535
  Can someone tell me which would be better for sleeving 26 gauge cables, 275 or 550 paracord? Each cable would be individually sleeved; also, these are for my hd600s. Thanks in advance!

Having real difficulty sleeving my Canare Starquad individually into 2mm paracord. I know people have this before, what's your method?

I did Canare star quad, which was 26 AWG.  I used type 95 paracord.  You gotta do the "inchworm" method.  Took me about 10-15min (it got quicker as I got better) for each 6 foot strand.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #3,425 of 10,535
Hey what kind of cable and connectors do I need for a digital coax RCA cable?  I thought I read somewhere that you want a cable with higher resistance?  No clue if that's right or not.  Anyone know?

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #3,426 of 10,535
I used heatshrink - put the wire inside with some of the inner paracord strands - and seal it real tight. Then you can usually just pull the wire all the way through as you pull the inners out from the other side. Sometimes it'll break halfway through, but it gets me much closer, much quicker.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,427 of 10,535
I made a thread about this but nobody looked at it so I might as well repost my question here.

Here's the rundown of my problem, I am recabling a pair of headphones for my friend, the headphones involve a Y-Split with one cord going to each cup, and I did it the wrong way by cutting the cable so that there is 1 long cable coming from the jack, and two short cables coming from each cup, there are 3 seperate wires (I'm using Mogami 4 wire cable, but only using 3 wires.) 

I don't have enough cable to redo it the proper way which involves just taking off an enormous piece of insulation and braiding it to each cup without any cutting, so my only real choice is to figure out some way to clamp all 3 wires together at the solder joint so that the cord doesn't break when you tug on it.

Any ideas? I can take pictures if I have to. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #3,429 of 10,535
  I made a thread about this but nobody looked at it so I might as well repost my question here.

Here's the rundown of my problem, I am recabling a pair of headphones for my friend, the headphones involve a Y-Split with one cord going to each cup, and I did it the wrong way by cutting the cable so that there is 1 long cable coming from the jack, and two short cables coming from each cup, there are 3 seperate wires (I'm using Mogami 4 wire cable, but only using 3 wires.) 

I don't have enough cable to redo it the proper way which involves just taking off an enormous piece of insulation and braiding it to each cup without any cutting, so my only real choice is to figure out some way to clamp all 3 wires together at the solder joint so that the cord doesn't break when you tug on it.

Any ideas? I can take pictures if I have to. 

ok
i use adhesive shrink tubing which does a nice job
or you can individual heatshrink each solder joint cover it with
an old fitting or piece of tubing then another layer of shrinkwrap
it can be done so it looks neat and clean

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #3,430 of 10,535
  I used heatshrink - put the wire inside with some of the inner paracord strands - and seal it real tight. Then you can usually just pull the wire all the way through as you pull the inners out from the other side. Sometimes it'll break halfway through, but it gets me much closer, much quicker.

Thanks for your help, could you give a little more info? Im a little confused
What do you mean by inner paracord strands btw

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #3,431 of 10,535
  ok
i use adhesive shrink tubing which does a nice job
or you can individual heatshrink each solder joint cover it with
an old fitting or piece of tubing then another layer of shrinkwrap
it can be done so it looks neat and clean

What is that cylinder in the middle of the wire? Also does heatshrinking it redistribute force? I need some way to join the soldered connections so that I can tug basically as hard as I want on either end of the connection and it won't separate. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,432 of 10,535
  i posted some links on this about 2 pages back

That's just normal Canare cable and connectors.  So nothing special needed for digital RCA vs analog?

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,433 of 10,535
That's just normal Canare cable and connectors.  So nothing special needed for digital RCA vs analog?

75ohm impedance I believe. I haven't ever made one, but that's what comes to mind. If that's the case, you'll just need to a resistor for the job. Shouldn't be too hard.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,435 of 10,535
Was type 95 too small? I'm concerned that 550 might be too big. 

550 will be pretty baggy on a single 26 awg wire. Some people like the look and feel while others, like myself, strongly dislike it.

You'll never know until you try for yourself. Type 95 will work well, IMO. There is some technique needed, but it's not hard to pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back