DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,406 of 10,535

Hey guys my 50 dollar cable got pinched, how much would a repair cost it just looks like the sleeve was damaged. It still works, I was hoping someone here would repair it for me as I don't want to compromise the sound quality of the cable.

Get a piece of heat shrink, unscrew the metal cover of the connector, put the heat shrink over the damaged area, warm the heat shrink, pull the cover over the heat shrink again and screw the cover back onto the connector?

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,407 of 10,535

Get a piece of heat shrink, unscrew the metal cover of the connector, put the heat shrink over the damaged area, warm the heat shrink, pull the cover over the heat shrink again and screw the cover back onto the connector?

+1, and if he feels its a little pita project (dealing with heat :wink: ) he can (scotch) tape it,easy......

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,408 of 10,535

+1, and if he feels its a little pita project (dealing with heat :wink: ) he can (scotch) tape it,easy......

At least use some electrical tape... won't break like scotch tape and it's black.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #3,409 of 10,535
At least use some electrical tape... won't break like scotch tape and it's black.

+1 electrical tape for now, heatshrink ffor a more 'professional' solution.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,411 of 10,535
Hello! I have a foolish question for you! So I bought some silver cable. I was expecting multiple strands like copper but here I just have one thick strand... Is this normal? I'm making an RCA interconnect. Is this good kit?

That's a solid core cable. It's not that silver wires don't have strand version, it's just the one you bought is the solid core version.

In theory, solid cores are more preferred than small strands because it can deliver more currents. For example, A is solid core with 2mm diameter, B is small strands, same material, also with 2mm diameter. A should be able to deliver more currents. In practical the difference is kinda astronomical and negligible in audio applications.

Some people prefer small strands, some people prefer solid core. Some even say, even on the same material, small strands vs solid core give different sounds => personally I think this is kinda far fetched. 

The thing you gotta remember for solid cores is that they're not very bend-resistant. You can bend small strands wires like you'd fold a paper, but not for solid cores. This kinda make them not ideal for mobile applications, such as IEMs re-cabling and such. For stationary applications, like speaker cables, it won't matter. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,412 of 10,535
Hello! I have a foolish question for you! So I bought some silver cable. I was expecting multiple strands like copper but here I just have one thick strand... Is this normal? I'm making an RCA interconnect. Is this good kit?

It's solid core. That's why it was so cheap. It's just fine for an interconnect since it won't be moving around much.
Solid core is less flexible and more prone to breaking. Just don't bend it at sharp angles or repeatedly in the same areas.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,414 of 10,535
Hey, everyone, hope you're all doing well. I'm looking to make a new cable for my HD600's. Could you suggest a good 1/4" stereo jack and a good stereo microphone cable? What gauge microphone cable would you suggest and how important is the gauge? Thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #3,415 of 10,535
Hi, would techflex 1/8 be fairly flush/tight over 24awg cabling ?

Also looking at a 7-strand cable (kind of hybrid sitting between 75+ strand multi/single core line)
UPOCC 24 AWG from Singapore and wonder if it will be reasonably flexible enough for a set of cans with round 4-line braid ?

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #3,416 of 10,535
Hi, would techflex 1/8 be fairly flush/tight over 24awg cabling ?

Also looking at a 7-strand cable (kind of hybrid sitting between 75+ strand multi/single core line)
UPOCC 24 AWG from Singapore and wonder if it will be reasonably flexible enough for a set of cans with round 4-line braid ?

If you're going to make a 4 wire cable you will want 3/16". It can be pulled tight onto the cable if you want, but the 1/8 will be SNUG.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #3,418 of 10,535
  Can anyone name me a brand or some brands that makes nice chassis connectors (panel mounts) for 3 pin xlr and 4 pin xlr as well as 3.5 mm connection? 

i use the redco brand for mini xlr panel mount jacks
i've also used neutriks there doesn't appear to be any difference
for 3.5mm i like the kobiconn ones, you can get them from mouser
they make a couple different styles

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,420 of 10,535
Hey guys, I am trying to make my first cable, just a simple 6.3mm jack extension using Canare Starquad cable, it's got a 6mm OD, my question is which braided sleeve should I use for a nice tight fit like this one in the picture? All the braided sleeves are massively oversized on Canford. I'm pretty much trying to copy the cable exactly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back