DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #1,816 of 10,535
I crimped 70x 50Ω BCN connectors onto RG-316. Let me tell you I don't want to do that again. The other end was soldered to a HD15 connector. FEP insulated cable is not much fun to use a tri-level coax stripper on either.
Yes that is not fun, one of our customers has 5 restaurants / bars in a one block radius. They have 96 cameras to 6 DVR's, and I thought crimping that mess of coax was bad even with the waterproof compression BNC's. Let alone those side crimp BNC's you used, the fun we have.

I'll take PoE cameras anyday. :D

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,817 of 10,535
Received a very generous gift in the mail today, Lemo plugs and PCB sockets.
These are incredible! There is absolutely NO Chinese manufacturing here.

The 6.5mm TRS adapter is just there for a size reference.

I'll have to check the size and see if it one of the sockets will fit in my Ultrasone's.

Much appreciation and thanks!
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #1,818 of 10,535
  Received a very generous gift in the mail today, Lemo plugs and PCB sockets.
These are incredible! There is absolutely NO Chinese manufacturing here.

The 6.5mm TRS adapter is just there for a size reference.

I'll have to check the size and see if it one of the sockets will fit in my Ultrasone's.

Much appreciation and thanks!
beerchug.gif

Those are beautiful! 

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,821 of 10,535
Yes! Ordered a Dremel and a 4 pin mini XLR to mod a AT M50 back to working condition, as its wire isn't working.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,823 of 10,535
Yes! Ordered a Dremel and a 4 pin mini XLR to mod a AT M50 back to working condition, as its wire isn't working.

Sweet. I hope you can get the mini XLR to fit, it's a pretty small amount of space to work with without change the sound in that ear cup.
Really? :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,824 of 10,535
So this is my 1st ever post! Totally inspired to make my own cable for my UE TF10s, since the stock cable broke (it actually lasted a long time).
Also going to make a small IC to match whatever I do.
I have a few questions that have been hard to find the answers to, even with browsing through this and the gallery thread.

1) IEM connector:
these are the 2 best options I've come across, are there any better ones with good suppliers?
http://www.audiocrast.com/product_disp.php?p_id=1352&weblan=e
http://www.audiocrast.com/High-Performance-Upadte-DIY-Earphone-Pin-Parts-For-Ultimate-UE-TF10-TF15-SF3-SF5-UHP336-Angle.html
(side question... any experiences with Audicrast.com? They have a lot of good stuff at great prices. Was trying to stay away from Lunashops)

2) Plugs:
Most likely going with Double Helix ones since they will fit my phone case.  Case (not my photo): http://blog.joeydaly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/20131123_105347.jpeg
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=136:015db36eb5e3a4a7a0aec33bfdaead75

This is my other option, but I'm not sure about fit: https://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2613&idcategory=242
I like the Pailiccs the best, but doesn't seem they fit anything with cases. ViaBlue small is nice, but expensive.
Sounds good dealing with a case right?

3) BIG question.... WIRE:
Whats best size for TF10s? 24, 26, 28 AWG?  I'll be doing 4 wire braid. Looking for nicely flexible, but durable.
And which seems to be the best bang for the buck? (using 25' to compare with navships' bulk).....

navships on ebay. 
24/26 AWG  decision is just which size/color. ~$8.25 for 25' shipped

Plussound: 
28 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC Stranded Silver Plated Copper Custom Wire  - $1.50/ft   - $ 37.50/25' +$5 s&h
26 AWG 7N Pure UP-OCC Stranded Copper Custom Wire - $2/ft  -  $ 50.00/25' +$5 s&h

doublehelixcables:
24 AWG  Black Nucleotide Cryo stranded OCC Copper wire $2.75/ft   - $68.75/25'

26 AWG Mogami W2893 @ Redco.com  $.82/4wires/ft   - $26.79/25' shipped

Mogami is definitely the best deal since it also has the option of keeping it together and fully sleeved.  DHC is the best looking if I decide to keep unsleeved.
Are the DHC or PlusSound really worth all that much more over Mogami? I'm not looking for the best sound ever, just good quality for good price.
Will most likely be going with a mix of Mogami and navships for unsleeved color options.

4) And last question... paracord:
I really like the paracord look, but I haven't figured out how it works for IEMs. Does it make the cable too heavy/bulky, especially after the split?
Since I'll most likely be going Mogami, which is 26AWG, I'm deciding on 2 options:
A)  Sleeve each wire individually.
B)  Or 4cord braid & big sleeve before split, 2cord twist & smaller sleeve after split.

If I go A, I know Type I paracord. But does that work with a twist after the split? And if so, is that too much bulk for IEM? I see most of you guys don't usually sleeve after the split for IEMs.

And if I go B, What size works best? Theres also Type II, 425, & 275. Which I haven't seen mentioned here.

And just in case I decide to go with the 24AWG DHC wire, does that change the paracord size?

Thanks!! Will post pics when I finish it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,825 of 10,535
Definitely 26awg for IEMs man. Anything thicker than that is going to be too heavy IMO. If I were in your shoes and wasn't on a strict budget I would go with PlusSound or DoubleHelix 26awg (silver plated or no, depending on your preference) because it's probably going to be more flexible than the mogami (I can vouch for the PlusSound being more flexible than the Mogami, but I don't know what the DH is like). Pick whatever IEM connectors you want, but when it comes to paracord I would do a 4 wire braid and then sleeve it up to the y-split if you absolutely wanted to use it, but just braiding the wire looks nice and it wont add any extra bulk.

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,826 of 10,535
I agree with Casper. Either 26 or 28 awg. You'll be happy you went smaller/lightweight.

Navships is a good price but has terrible ergonomics...terrible. It was made for other purposes. It'll be durable but feel awful - stiff and inflexible.

Mogami will be a step-up for flexibility but it's insulation still feels a bit harsh against the skin.

I personally love the feel of the PlusSound SPC insulation compared to some others. It's very flexible. The DHC cable is also a good option but go with the 26awg.

There are a lot of good options, but nothing as cheap as Canare or Mogami. Budget is important; However, it's worth getting what will best meet your needs right away over going through multiple tries of cheaper options that end up being just as expensive.

I'm a little confused by your calculations for the Mogami. How long of a cable do you plan on making. If you plan on using all of its wires, you'd only need 5 feet of Mogami for a 5 foot cable. That would run you ~$10 shipped. You could pick up extra. For $25 shipped you'd have quite a bit extra.

Individually sleeving in microparacord works but will add a noticeable amount of weight.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,827 of 10,535
I personally love the feel of the PlusSound SPC insulation compared to some others. It's very flexible. The DHC cable is also a good option but go with the 26awg.

Thanks.
Far as I can see, the Nucleotide wire on DHC only comes as 24 AWG. So theres no 26 option. I guess that would be good unsleeved, though.
SoI'll look into the PlusSound SPC. But I'll get a bunch of Mogami anyway since its so cheap, and see how it works.

What about for the 4strand braid, which size paracord?

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,828 of 10,535
Navships is a good price but has terrible ergonomics...terrible. It was made for other purposes. It'll be durable but feel awful - stiff and inflexible.

I meant to mention that in my reply. Navships wire is way too rigid to use for a cable, but it could be nice to use for an interconnect because it holds it's shape. 

Thanks.
Far as I can see, the Nucleotide wire on DHC only comes as 24 AWG. So theres no 26 option. I guess that would be good unsleeved, though.
SoI'll look into the PlusSound SPC. But I'll get a bunch of Mogami anyway since its so cheap, and see how it works.

If you're sleeving them all together, go with 550 paracord. You can find it all over eBay or in a local Hobby Lobby. 

If you want to do them individually, use this: https://www.survival-pax.com/EL-Wood-Type-I-Paracord.html

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,829 of 10,535

Thanks.

If you leave the Mogami twisted (as it comes), it'll fit smoothly into most 550 paracord. You can even use the same 550 for the two strand branches at the Y. Here is an example of a quick recable I did just for the lawlz:

I used the same 550 paracord that I got from supplycaptain for the 4-strand and 2-strand areas. Feels great. I'll admit that it's not nearly as light as doing a bare braid. It might be something to consider if you wear yours down rather than over the ear. The weight might constantly try to pull them from your ear. 

I have 550 from 4-5 different suppliers and it has always fit. Supplycaptain.com, Fivestarcord.com, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc.
Fivestarcord is good for microparacord since you can purchase it by the foot, ($0.07/foot for most), and flat-rate shipping in the USA is $2.99. You can pick up 25 feet of a few different types for $10. Hard to go wrong there. Talking about it and I just bought 6 new colors...dangit Head-fi addiction. 

You're right about the DHC, I thought he had some 26 awg offered. You could still try out the 24 awg. As long as your neck isn't made of paper, I think you'll be able to handle a little extra weight. 

I meant to mention that in my reply. Navships wire is way too rigid to use for a cable, but it could be nice to use for an interconnect because it holds it's shape. 

If you're sleeving them all together, go with 550 paracord. You can find it all over eBay or in a local Hobby Lobby. 

If you want to do them individually, use this: https://www.survival-pax.com/EL-Wood-Type-I-Paracord.html

Despite my warning, I do still use Navships. It does serve well for interconnects or even as ground wires when mixed with other more flexible cable. I've done some interesting experiments with it on interconnects doing 8 or 12 strand braids mixed with various other materials. It's a great practice wire. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,830 of 10,535
I want to remove my balanced 4-XLR M-F plugs and put something smaller that can also lock together.
Can anyone suggest a smaller quality interconnect so I can switch between speaker tap cables and single-end terminations.
XLR's are built like a tank but they are so flipping heavy and it is impractical  when plugged into a DAP especially !
@65535 is this cable below a balanced one ?
Could you please give me a lead on it as it looks great quality and so small !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back