DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #11,971 of 16,305
I have a couple questions for you guys. 

I am looking to make some simple interconnects. I know how to make them, but I am wondering where I can get silver wire for a decent price from. I know plussound sells silver wire, but my friend bought some of their wire and it oxidized in 2 days. If someone has a more positive experience and recommends them, then I will buy it from them, or if someone has an even better source, then by all means please let me know. If nothing else, I will just use western electric wire. 

If I were to use that 26 awg wire, how many strands of wire should I use for a basic RCA to RCA connector?

Yet another question would be if anyone knew of a good source for fair quality RCA and banana plugs. To be honest, I can already tell you I do not have good enough ears to hear the difference between a 20 dollar RCA connector and a 200 dollar RCA connector.  

My big issue right now is that I just learned that 2 of my cheapo walmart RCA connectors are dead, and I would like something a bit more tough.

May 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #11,972 of 16,305
Have just got my first DIY cable done for my HD800 so I can use it for the new HDVD800 system.
I know it is a mess but to thank for the help from the DIY community, I think I need to post some pictures of it.

I have some problem of making the Y spliter, do you guys have any good ways to make it fix at one point?

Also, with my HD800 cable done, the next cable will be my T1 which does not has any removable cables in stock version.
Is there a way for me to add an removable socket on it without damage the phone?
If so, where should I got the parts?

If it is not possible for noobie like me, I guess I should just re-terminate the cable to an 4-pin xlr.
Has any one done it here? How hard is it?

Thanks~~~~~

May 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #11,973 of 16,305
Quote:

I am looking to make some simple interconnects. I know how to make them, but I am wondering where I can get silver wire for a decent price from. I know plussound sells silver wire, but my friend bought some of their wire and it oxidized in 2 days. If someone has a more positive experience and recommends them, then I will buy it from them, or if someone has an even better source, then by all means please let me know. If nothing else, I will just use western electric wire. 

If I were to use that 26 awg wire, how many strands of wire should I use for a basic RCA to RCA connector?

Yet another question would be if anyone knew of a good source for fair quality RCA and banana plugs. To be honest, I can already tell you I do not have good enough ears to hear the difference between a 20 dollar RCA connector and a 200 dollar RCA connector.  

My big issue right now is that I just learned that 2 of my cheapo walmart RCA connectors are dead, and I would like something a bit more tough.

you can try toxic cable on ebay.
I am ordering some of there OCC cables for my single ended to XLR interconnects, they are slightly more expensive than plussound, and shipping from England takes time.

Once I got my cable, i will tell you how good it is. I also have some good 28 AWG silver cables brought from some Chinese stores on Ebay, seems to be pretty good.

May 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #11,974 of 16,305
Have just got my first DIY cable done for my HD800 so I can use it for the new HDVD800 system.
I know it is a mess but to thank for the help from the DIY community, I think I need to post some pictures of it.

[/URL]

I have some problem of making the Y spliter, do you guys have any good ways to make it fix at one point?

Also, with my HD800 cable done, the next cable will be my T1 which does not has any removable cables in stock version.
Is there a way for me to add an removable socket on it without damage the phone?
If so, where should I got the parts?

If it is not possible for noobie like me, I guess I should just re-terminate the cable to an 4-pin xlr.
Has any one done it here? How hard is it?

Thanks~~~~~

Detachable cables should be possible, as Moon Audio offers that as an option. They even sell the connectors they use to DIY. They use a coaxial connector not entirely dissimilar in size and looks to the HD800 connectors, which you could also use since ALO sells the sockets. Mini XLR might fit. You coukd use 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks, but those wont be nearly as secure. With any of these options, you will need to drill out the cable entry spots to fit the connector. Not entirely easy, but not too hard if you have the equipment and good planning.

For your Y split, heatshrink is the simplest. A touch of hotglue can hold it in place if you have trouble with sliding.

May 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #11,975 of 16,305
Quote:

He bought silver that oxidized that quickly?  It turned black?  That doesn't sound right.  If he bought copper, well that is a possibility for any copper wire in a clear dialectric, even from the best manufacturers.  Heat, moisture, and flux are all linked to it.  Shouldn't impact the sound, just the looks.  Like someone said before, Toxic Cables is most likely your only other option for stranded silver in polyethylene.

That said, if you want silver, and are focused on interconnects, solid core silver should work well and is preferred by many.  Solid core is much cheaper than stranded.  Check out Tempo Electric, Hndme.com, and VT4C for good prices on good quality solid core.  You will need to buy teflon tubing as well if you go this route.  Neotech makes UPOCC silver in teflon and is probably as good as it gets.  At last check, some guy had a spool of it and was selling it by the foot on ebay for ridiculously low prices (close to cost of ordering directly from Taiwan).

A single run of 26-24awg for positive and a run for ground will work well.  Nothing more is necessary.  

For connectors, what do you want?  Looks?  Metallurgy?  Price?  Vintage Audio Labs on ebay has some of the highest value connectors available, and many pro cablers use their connectors.  A bit blingy.  If you want silver plated connectors, Ram electronics has some very high value ones with nice aluminum shells in multiple colors. If you want pure silver or copper, Aural Thrills makes a very interesting couple of connectors for a better price than anybody else selling pure copper or pure silver.  

May 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #11,976 of 16,305
Quote:
He bought silver that oxidized that quickly?  It turned black?  That doesn't sound right.  If he bought copper, well that is a possibility for any copper wire in a clear dialectric, even from the best manufacturers.  Heat, moisture, and flux are all linked to it.  Shouldn't impact the sound, just the looks.  Like someone said before, Toxic Cables is most likely your only other option for stranded silver in polyethylene.

That said, if you want silver, and are focused on interconnects, solid core silver should work well and is preferred by many.  Solid core is much cheaper than stranded.  Check out Tempo Electric, Hndme.com, and VT4C for good prices on good quality solid core.  You will need to buy teflon tubing as well if you go this route.  Neotech makes UPOCC silver in teflon and is probably as good as it gets.  At last check, some guy had a spool of it and was selling it by the foot on ebay for ridiculously low prices (close to cost of ordering directly from Taiwan).

A single run of 26-24awg for positive and a run for ground will work well.  Nothing more is necessary.  

For connectors, what do you want?  Looks?  Metallurgy?  Price?  Vintage Audio Labs on ebay has some of the highest value connectors available, and many pro cablers use their connectors.  A bit blingy.  If you want silver plated connectors, Ram electronics has some very high value ones with nice aluminum shells in multiple colors. If you want pure silver or copper, Aural Thrills makes a very interesting couple of connectors for a better price than anybody else selling pure copper or pure silver.  

Thanks for all the info. I looked into everything and I think I will go with the solid core idea. 

That then leaves me with two questions. 

1: You mentioned something about ordering from taiwan, and I was wondering if that was a viable option. I found this at a very good price.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG24-0-5MM-Solid-Core-UPOCC-SILVER-Audio-BARE-WIRE-10M-/310678057552?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4855daf250

2: what type of audio grade solder would you use? I know audio note uses special solder and I would like to get my hands on the same type of stuff. 

May 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #11,977 of 16,305
60/40 rosin core has been my go to solder for years industry standard before RoHS was around. 63/37 is a good choice for beginners and professionals alike as it has no plastic stage during hardening.

If you really worry about strength go with 62/36/2 which is normally sold as 2% silver bearing solder, very high strength.

May 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11,978 of 16,305
Quote:

Thanks for all the info. I looked into everything and I think I will go with the solid core idea. 

1: You mentioned something about ordering from taiwan, and I was wondering if that was a viable option. I found this at a very good price.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG24-0-5MM-Solid-Core-UPOCC-SILVER-Audio-BARE-WIRE-10M-/310678057552?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4855daf250

2: what type of audio grade solder would you use? I know audio note uses special solder and I would like to get my hands on the same type of stuff. 

1.I got that wire for 28 AWG, if you want to know how good it is, I believe I will receive this Friday or next Monday.
2. I am using the cardas quad as most DIYer recommended to me, seems to be a very good one with low melting point.
http://www.cardas.com/solder.php

May 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #11,979 of 16,305
I like Kester 331 63/37 0.031 water soluable flux solder. Easy clean up and makes good joints. Cardas was good as well.

May 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #11,980 of 16,305
Quote:

1.  That ebay seller I believe is the same as tzeng_albert and I bought some of his wire a long time ago. Worked fine, though I didn't have any other silver  to compare to at the time. Don't know about the reputation here or on other diy audio sites, whereas the others I listed have good reputations.

2.  I use Cardas Quad Eutectic.  Was recommended to me a long time ago and I bought a spool of it that has lasted me for years.  Very easy to use as it melts at a fairly low temperature.  Also comes from a company that makes audiophile cables and connectors if that matters to you.

May 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #11,981 of 16,305
Quote:
1.  That ebay seller I believe is the same as tzeng_albert and I bought some of his wire a long time ago. Worked fine, though I didn't have any other silver  to compare to at the time. Don't know about the reputation here or on other diy audio sites, whereas the others I listed have good reputations.

2.  I use Cardas Quad Eutectic.  Was recommended to me a long time ago and I bought a spool of it that has lasted me for years.  Very easy to use as it melts at a fairly low temperature.  Also comes from a company that makes audiophile cables and connectors if that matters to you.

Cool, I bought 50 feet of the stuff for 25 bucks. Good deal indeed. 

And I am well aware that your sources are good ones, and I would be more than happy to buy from one of them........if I had more money : P

IF and only IF that wire I linked is real silver, then I have not found a better deal yet. 

May 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #11,982 of 16,305
Quote:

Cool, I bought 50 feet of the stuff for 25 bucks. Good deal indeed. 

And I am well aware that your sources are good ones, and I would be more than happy to buy from one of them........if I had more money : P

IF and only IF that wire I linked is real silver, then I have not found a better deal yet. 

That is the rub with buying off of ebay. You have no way of knowing if that silver is actually silver.  The cable I made transmitted sound, and the person I eventually sold it to thought it sounded great, so at least in that regards, no one got ripped off.

May 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #11,983 of 16,305
Word of advice, i have spoken previously with Wan Lung (Neotech) about the solid core wire some are advertising on eBay as having gotten from them. Neotech did advise me at the time, that they are aware of the seller i mentioned and that they do not get wire from them, Neotech also stated, that they do not sell "bare" solid core silver wire to anyone, other then a few select amp manufacturers and are unable to take action against those that are advertising it as Neotech wire, due to these sellers being based in China.

You can get solid core silver at many Jewellery supply stores at excellent prices.

May 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #11,984 of 16,305
I'm trying to make a cable for etymotic er4 IEM
After soldering the cables to the driver pins
Can anyone suggest me what i could use to mold the cables around the soldered area?
I don't want the soldering parts to be vulnerable when the cables are pulled from the IEM drivers

May 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #11,985 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm trying to make a cable for etymotic er4 IEM
After soldering the cables to the driver pins
Can anyone suggest me what i could use to mold the cables around the soldered area?
I don't want the soldering parts to be vulnerable when the cables are pulled from the IEM drivers

Epoxy Putty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back