DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #11,806 of 16,305
I am going to attempt to make a LOD for a DIYmod, but had a quick Q. In terms of soldering the cap to the connector pins, does the positive lead go there and the negative lead to the wires which eventually terminate at the 3.5 mm jack? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The positive side goes towards the DAC (30 pin) negative towards the 3.5..unless you are using film caps. They are non polar

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #11,809 of 16,305
For you guys that have made custom iem cables, how do you wire the parts that plug into the ciem?  I know on most ciem cables that are made the dot goes in the back, so is that the negative or positive wire that goes in the back?  This is for mh JH16, thanks.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #11,811 of 16,305
Quote:
For you guys that have made custom iem cables, how do you wire the parts that plug into the ciem?  I know on most ciem cables that are made the dot goes in the back, so is that the negative or positive wire that goes in the back?  This is for mh JH16, thanks.

If you look at the stock cable, the + is the pin closest to the red and blue dots.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #11,812 of 16,305
If I was to strip the Teflon from my wires and put them into a new sleeve, can I run 3 wires trough the sleeve without twisting the or will they creat an electrical connection with each other?

If there is rubber or pvc or some other shield it will be fine, if the metal touches, it will short.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #11,813 of 16,305
Quote:
If I was to strip the Teflon from my wires and put them into a new sleeve, can I run 3 wires trough the sleeve without twisting the or will they creat an electrical connection with each other?

Do you mean stripping the outer covering of the 3 wires, or do you mean the insulation on the individual wires themselves (which is what it reads like)?

The former would be fine, the latter wouldn't.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #11,815 of 16,305
Thanks Frank, got more wire coming in, just wasn't sure on that part of it.
Quote:
If you look at the stock cable, the + is the pin closest to the red and blue dots.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #11,817 of 16,305
Ive always tried to just burn it off with a lighter, I hate those enamel coated wires lol.  Sometimes a lighter isnt hot enough.  I'm pretty sure someone might mention a solder pot?

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #11,818 of 16,305
If you don't have a solder pot, then the best way to remove the enamel coating, would be to put a large blob of solder on the tip of your iron, then hold that blob to the wires till the enamel burns off and tins the wire. Repeat it once or twice afterwards to get any burned enamel that might still be on the wires out.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #11,819 of 16,305
My cable came in for my interconnect experiment. 3.5 mini to 3.5 mini probably 3-4 inches for my portable. 

So I wanted to trying something different and do an 8 braid. This is mostly for experimentation and to make it look awesome. I'm trying to decide the best way to do it. Separate strands in a huge 8 braid, or pair together two of the same color with superglue (x4) and do a thick quad-braid with those. I'm not sure that I can glue them together though. Suggestions?

I realize it would be a tight fit around the terminals, and that the holes in the terminal connections would need to be widened to fit the cables. Also, it would be important to space them properly to avoid shorting. Anything else I'm forgetting?

I was wondering, assuming I could pull of an 8 braid, would there be any negative sonic effects?

Any other suggestions? 

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #11,820 of 16,305
If you don't have a solder pot, then the best way to remove the enamel coating, would be to put a large blob of solder on the tip of your iron, then hold that blob to the wires till the enamel burns off and tins the wire. Repeat it once or twice afterwards to get any burned enamel that might still be on the wires out.

And have a fan or fume extractor nearby. Burning enamel is stinky work and you really don't want to breath that in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back