DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #11,761 of 16,305
Quote:
Here's my DIY Power Cable:
Link

Kind of looks like the outer wires are twisting in sorta-figure-eights around two main wires... are the looping wires the shield? 

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #11,762 of 16,305
Where do you all get such nice Cotton/Nylon sleeving? I love the nylon feel, like the stock Audio Technica cable for the A700. I assume that's nylon, not cotton. Where can I get the Nylon, I can't find it anywhere. Thanks?

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #11,763 of 16,305
Nice thin pe insulated cable Justin.

Looks extremely flexible.
Must be great for OTG.

I can see you're using one of those 3.5's found on ebay haha.
Looks slimmer than i initially thought.

Tim

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #11,765 of 16,305
Quote:
Nice thin pe insulated cable Justin.

Looks extremely flexible.
Must be great for OTG.

I can see you're using one of those 3.5's found on ebay haha.
Looks slimmer than i initially thought.

Tim

Thanks, Tim.  The 3.5mm are actually from a vendor on Aliexpress.  Originally they only had TRRS plugs in this style, but they were able to find me some TRS.  They have 3 other colors.  I didn't like the shells of the ones I found on ebay.  Nice quality, great price.  Only connectors I have found outside of Oyaide that will fit into a cased iPod, though I did see that Ramelectronics has a new plug that could work.  Haven't tested it yet.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #11,766 of 16,305
Quote:
It has been a while since I last made a cable:

Very simple recable of my D2000s.  Wire is from Frank @ Toxic Cables (thanks Frank!) and is a wire he was testing that is super flexible.  Unfortunately, pictures can't really show how flexible this wire is.  It was so flexible, that I had to do a much tighter braid than I usually use to give it a little bit more structure.  

Great work, Justin. 

That wire is indeed extremely flexible, i actually prefer my wire to be slightly stiffer. Will stick it on eBay soon, for a very reasonable price.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #11,769 of 16,305
Quote:

Kind of looks like the outer wires are twisting in sorta-figure-eights around two main wires... are the looping wires the shield? 

Here some pic:

2 colors wire for training.
The looping wires consist hot and neutral conductor (black is hot and blue is neutral).
For more information you can see the patented geometry here:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6242689.pdf

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #11,770 of 16,305
Quote:
Here some pic:

2 colors wire for training.
The looping wires consist hot and neutral conductor (black is hot and blue is neutral).
For more information you can see the patented geometry here:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6242689.pdf

I might have missed where you posted it, but what kind of wire (solid, stranded, gauge) did you use?  I might try this without the buckshot and tube to show off the braid.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #11,773 of 16,305
Quote:
Remove the outer rubber jacket, which you can do with a knife and tearing. When that's all off, snip a few CM of the shielding to loosen it up, then PUSH it up off the cable. The shielding weave will compress and expand in diameter, so it comes off fairly easily.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure if that would be a good way or if something like a coaxial stripper would work.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11,774 of 16,305
Quote:
It has been a while since I last made a cable:

Very simple recable of my D2000s.  Wire is from Frank @ Toxic Cables (thanks Frank!) and is a wire he was testing that is super flexible.  Unfortunately, pictures can't really show how flexible this wire is.  It was so flexible, that I had to do a much tighter braid than I usually use to give it a little bit more structure.  

I do love super flexible wire. What would i ask Frank if i wanted this type of cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back