DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 31, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #11,716 of 16,305
Ferminx: Parts Connexion or get Moon Audio Silver Dragon. In both cases it'll be expensive. 

I was at my local DIY parts store looking to make a special TRS to RCA adaptor for my ULN-2 (it must have the ring not connected) and found a TRS plug that PERFECTLY fits those small, cheap generic RCA sockets. I could literally screw them in place inside the plug! I only had to bend the tab for the wire on the inner ring 90 degrees. Having that actually made it easier to drop the nut in and screw it tight.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #11,717 of 16,305
Making some XLR to RCA cables, mainly because I like the big locking XLR plug. I don't know how the balanced outputs on the Yulong D100 work though (active balanced or impedence balanced etc?). Is my best bet to leave Pin 3 floating or connect it to Pin 1?

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #11,718 of 16,305
Leave it floating. Shorting parts of the output is not a good idea. I know my ULN-2 is designed to tolerate such stupidity (both stock adaptors I have crossed 3 and 1) but at worst you risk damage and at least you will likely degrade the sound quality.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #11,719 of 16,305
Quote:
A simple but very useful mini to mini using Rean gold plated plugs and mini XLR cable

Does anyone knows a website to buy silver cable?

You can get very reasonably priced cable of all sorts on fleabay from the seller navships. It might not be cryogenically marketed but it's just as good as any other silver wire without the huge profit margin. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #11,720 of 16,305
Quote:
Leave it floating. Shorting parts of the output is not a good idea. I know my ULN-2 is designed to tolerate such stupidity (both stock adaptors I have crossed 3 and 1) but at worst you risk damage and at least you will likely degrade the sound quality.

Thanks, yeh this was pretty much my thinking too.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #11,721 of 16,305
Quote:
You can get very reasonably priced cable of all sorts on fleabay from the seller navships. It might not be cryogenically marketed but it's just as good as any other silver wire without the huge profit margin. 

That is silver plated copper, not pure stranded silver....you tend to get what you pay for with wire!  If you have not heard the good stuff, then it won't matter because it's cheap!

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #11,722 of 16,305
Quote:

That is silver plated copper, not pure stranded silver....you tend to get what you pay for with wire!  If you have not heard the good stuff, then it won't matter because it's cheap!

I've heard pure silver stranded wire "the good stuff" versus silver plated copper cables and I personally couldn't tell a difference to save my grandmother's life. Unless you're talking about really pricey OCC stuff like what Toxic uses, (I've never heard OCC silver stranded) but I don't quite understand the difference anyhow. I try not to give in to the marketing hype side of things.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #11,723 of 16,305
Quote:
I've heard pure silver stranded wire "the good stuff" versus silver plated copper cables and I personally couldn't tell a difference to save my grandmother's life. Unless you're talking about really pricey OCC stuff like what Toxic uses, (I've never heard OCC silver stranded) but I don't quite understand the difference anyhow. I try not to give in to the marketing hype side of things.

If you can't tell the difference, then go with the cheap stuff, you are the one you have to please, if yo do some research you will find it is hyped by the people that have actually heard it, because they hear a difference!

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #11,724 of 16,305
The main reason to not use Navships' wire for headphone cables is because they're stiff.

For interconnects and similar purposes, they're excellent for the price.

Discussions about the sound quality of different materials is better conducted in either the Cables forum or the Sound Science forum. It's a subject that tends to turn into an argument that derails this thread even worse than it usually is 
tongue.gif
 and it becomes hard to get back on topic.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #11,725 of 16,305
Yes, Navships PTFE insulation is rather stiff for headphone purposes, but anything smaller than 22 AWG from them should do fine (24 & 26AWG).

Makes good cheap but quality interconnects just like ardgedee pointed out.
John seems to specify his wires as 99.99 (4N) purity, so the silver plating should be the same.

Tim

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #11,727 of 16,305
Ok now I'm confused. What do I do with the extra ground connector in a neutrik XLR? (when making XLR -> RCA)

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #11,729 of 16,305
Quote:
Ok now I'm confused. What do I do with the extra ground connector in a neutrik XLR? (when making XLR -> RCA)

Diagram at the end:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #11,730 of 16,305
No, a 3 pin XLR but it has an additional ground connector (Neutrik FXX series). edit: ah I guess it's just female xlr that has it.

I can just leave it floating right? CBA with chassis grounding. (like 4B in the link above except with 2 conductors and no shield)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back