DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #11,357 of 16,305
Quote:
One for each side? would it work? what you have to solder the plug into then?

Could do one for each side or use it single sided (if that's how your cans are set up now).  If you're using one on each side, it might be better to get something like this and use mono plugs for each side of the cable.

To solder them in, you would either use the existing wire inside the cans or replace it.  There's plenty of people who have done both (I'm not one of them, yet) and would be able to help.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #11,360 of 16,305
Quote:
Could do one for each side or use it single sided (if that's how your cans are set up now).  If you're using one on each side, it might be better to get something like this and use mono plugs for each side of the cable.

To solder them in, you would either use the existing wire inside the cans or replace it.  There's plenty of people who have done both (I'm not one of them, yet) and would be able to help.

If i would do that, can i make them balaced? If i use XLR plugs on each side?

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #11,361 of 16,305
Quote:
I'm new to this whole 'DIY Cable' thing, but I decided to give it a try this past weekend.  I needed an interconnect to go between my Schiit Modi and my amplifier, and after browsing quite a few pages from this thread (I gave up after about 250) settled on the following:

I used 16 strands of solid copper that I sheathed individually with #1 paracord in both red and black (that part took the longest) and then weaved them together using a cross-whip weave style I picked up after studying pictures of Jena Labs speaker cables.  I began with all the red on one side and the black on another, and ended the same way.  I think it turned out pretty good, and it sounds great.

Although, to be honest, this was just a proof-of-concept.  I've never woven (or braided, for that matter) anything before this, nor had I ever soldered anything.  This one is really just a temporary solution.  I learned a lot making this cable, and will probably make another, more permanent solution using silver wire and higher-quality RCA plugs.

My little boy was holding the end of the cable in this picture.  He really wanted to help out!

The cables connected to my current setup (I'm a teacher, and this is on the desk in my classroom.)

Nice job!
Where you bought such a small sleeving?

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #11,363 of 16,305
Quote:
If i would do that, can i make them balaced? If i use XLR plugs on each side?

Either the mono plugs on each side, or mini-xlr plugs on each side will let you do balanced. You would need a 4 pin mini-xlr or other connector on the amp side (and of course, a balanced amp, or adapter for single ended use). 

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #11,366 of 16,305
Quote:
Anyone have any tips on a good solder fume extractor, mine just packed out on me and i need another ASAP.

I have this one and its been fine. Would buy it again when and if it dies.

http://www.photonage.com.au/micron-fume-extractor-all-metal-240vac-and-ball-bearing-fan-p-2859.html

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #11,367 of 16,305
Quote:

I have this one and its been fine. Would buy it again when and if it dies.

http://www.photonage.com.au/micron-fume-extractor-all-metal-240vac-and-ball-bearing-fan-p-2859.html

Thanks for the recommendations, i have actually used this one before and found that it still lets some smoke escape if it's not very close to where you are soldering, in which case it can get in the way.

I am thinking of getting one of these, has anyone used them before. I like the idea of the tube as i can adjust it and have it close to where i am soldering.

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/588334/SOLDER-SMOKE-SUCTION-BVX-101

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/582579/Solder-Fume-Extraction-WFE-2ES-Kit/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=2

This also seems like it would have been a good option, but i think you need to have a Ersa station to plug it in to, so will not work with my MX5020.

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/588185/Ersa-Fume-Extraction-Ea55-I-Complete/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=2

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #11,368 of 16,305
Overkill project... build a raised perforated table platform with a fan/pump attached, so it sucks the fumes down while working. We have something like this in one of the labs where they do a lot of welding. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #11,369 of 16,305
Or do like us grizzled old electronic repair veterans do, don't breath in the fumes... Just blow them away... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #11,370 of 16,305
Thanks lads, decided to go with the Metcal. Those who don't have an extractor should really consider getting one. I remember when i first started DIY, used to get a real bad headache when soldering, until i got one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back