DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #11,026 of 16,305
Wanted to show you guys my first headphone recable. Quite happy with it.

It is more or less a combination of this guide and this. I guided the right channel to the left, but didn't do a detachable cable mod. I used nylon sleeving for the cable over the head and that looks quite good. Used some superglue to keep the cable in place and that looks really sleek (no trace of glue).

Stuff I used:
  1. A friends K518LE
  2. Mogami 2893 (stripped away outer layer)
  3. Halloween paracord sleeving from eBay.
  4. Black nylon tubing (3/32" I think)
  5. Some shrink tubing
  6. Switchcraft 1/8"

Total spend was about $16 I think (it's expensive to ship stuff here).

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #11,030 of 16,305
I just received my package from Toxic Cables containing 24 feet of their elusive 7N silver + 1% gold wire. I used part of it today to make a cable for my HE-6. It turned out really well, which makes me very glad, considering it's the most costly wire I've ever used. I didn't feel like ruining the color scheme with red and white heatshrink for channel identification, so I went with black for the right channel and transparent teflon tubing for the left.

I'll be using the rest of the wire to make some XLR interconnects with Valab rhodium-plated connectors. If I still have some wire left, I'll try doing short cables like a mini-mini.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #11,031 of 16,305
Hi guys,

Need some help!

I tried to do DIY RCA interconnects using Parts Connexion BL-Ag "balanced" interconnect cable (CONNEX-66070).  From reading the forums, I soldered the drain/shield wire to source ground/negative.  Yet, I still can hear humming noise (zero music, turn the amp's volume up to max.).  I thought this cable was shielded.  The "What" moment was when I switched to Monster Interlink 250 interconnects; puff, zero noise!  I've tried PSY straightwire interconnects (came with my bifrost) and the same hum.

Hmm, I'm thinking of stripping off the heat shrinks and link the drain wires out to ground to source's and and amp's chassis.

Any thought?  Thanks guys!

Troy       

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #11,032 of 16,305
Quote:
Hi guys,

Need some help!

I tried to do DIY RCA interconnects using Parts Connexion BL-Ag "balanced" interconnect cable (CONNEX-66070).  From reading the forums, I soldered the drain/shield wire to source ground/negative.  Yet, I still can hear humming noise (zero music, turn the amp's volume up to max.).  I thought this cable was shielded.  The "What" moment was when I switched to Monster Interlink 250 interconnects; puff, zero noise!  I've tried PSY straightwire interconnects (came with my bifrost) and the same hum.

Hmm, I'm thinking of stripping off the heat shrinks and link the drain wires out to ground to source's and and amp's chassis.

Any thought?  Thanks guys!

Troy       

Your Monster cable probably has better shielding, what type of shield does the Parts Connexion cable have?  Foil or braided?  Are your interconnects near power cables or a power supply?  If so, move them away.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #11,033 of 16,305
Quote:

Your Monster cable probably has better shielding, what type of shield does the Parts Connexion cable have?  Foil or braided?  Are your interconnects near power cables or a power supply?  If so, move them away.

It has foil shield plus the drain wire, not braided.  My setup is near a computer so lot of noise to be expected :frowning2:  Unfortunately, due to limited space, I can't move the setup away from the comp.   

I can't accept that the cheapo Monster cables outperformed a audiophile cable, in shielding!

Anyway to improve shielding, adding metal/copper braided cover?  Thanks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #11,034 of 16,305
I just picked up my most recent order of DHC Nucleotide wire. I used it to make another cable for my HE-6. This time, I used clear and black insulations for the color coding rather than heatshrink. The braiding from the Y-split to the 4-pin XLR connector makes a nice double helix, which I find amusing considering the wire used.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11,035 of 16,305
Quote:

It has foil shield plus the drain wire, not braided.  My setup is near a computer so lot of noise to be expected :frowning2:  Unfortunately, due to limited space, I can't move the setup away from the comp.   

I can't accept that the cheapo Monster cables outperformed a audiophile cable, in shielding!

Anyway to improve shielding, adding metal/copper braided cover?  Thanks.

It's likely the Monster Cable is using a braided shield, which is better at EMI rejection, which would be coming from power cables and switching power supplies.  Foil shields are good for blocking RF interference, and ok at EMI rejection.

Be cautious of being tricked by words like "audiophile."  Proper design with lesser (but still adequate) materials will always out perform poor design with better materials.

TL;DR
Braided shields are better around power cables and switch mode power supplies.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #11,036 of 16,305

SPC round litz braid balanced connector for the ALO Audio RX3B and Cypher Labs -dB - excuse the crappy iPhone pics that I tried to clean up.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #11,037 of 16,305
Hey has anyone shopped via lunashops.com? They have a ton of items I need for a cable I'm doing and at great prices but I don't know if its a good place to buy from, or if its too good to be true?
Also qables.com. They have a splitter housing but I've never heard of them either.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #11,038 of 16,305
Quote:
Hey has anyone shopped via lunashops.com? They have a ton of items I need for a cable I'm doing and at great prices but I don't know if its a good place to buy from, or if its too good to be true?
Also qables.com. They have a splitter housing but I've never heard of them either.

I have bought a few things from Lunashops without any problems. The shipping seems to take a while - for me at least.

Qables are solid. Been about a fair while, and I have bought a fair few things from them too.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #11,039 of 16,305
alright, thanks for the reply.  yeah they (lunashops) ship from china, so it takes almost a month for it to arrive, but I figure if I order soon itll all be here when I'm home for spring break.

I figure qables was ok, just not sure so I figured I'd ask.  thanks for the info, now I can get my mod on the road 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back