DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10,981 of 16,309
Flat Shrink Wrap

This is the stuff the shrink battery packs and other things together with, it's really rigid, not flexible and will hold any form it shrinks around.

If you fixing the end of a cable then this would be perfect.

http://www.shrinksleeve.com/product1.htm

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #10,982 of 16,309
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #10,983 of 16,309
Quote:
Nice job!

thx! Your copper cables are quite nice to work with. will probably order more variety from you soon when I get my bonus. Connectors + cables makes me poor lololol 

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #10,984 of 16,309
Threw together a short 3.5mm extension cable for my fiio e10 to reduce jack wear. 

Rean Plugs
Canare Star Quad Mini
eBay paracord sleeving

I left the Star Quad in it's original twist and stripped off the metal shileding and rubber. I kept the thin paper and string spaces.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #10,985 of 16,309
Quote:
Threw together a short 3.5mm extension cable for my fiio e10 to reduce jack wear. 

Rean Plugs
Canare Star Quad Mini
eBay paracord sleeving

I left the Star Quad in it's original twist and stripped off the metal shileding and rubber. I kept the thin paper and string spaces.

Very pretty!

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #10,987 of 16,309
So I needed a headphone adaptor...
542064_574244322589035_1203238900_n.jpg

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #10,988 of 16,309
Quick cell phone pic. I got sick of the too-long cable on the DT1350 (since I only use them in transit). So I had a few feet of 4 wire braid of 26 awg spc laying around, some paracord, and a switchraft mini TRS. 

Tadaa. Much more usable than wrapping extra cable up with velcro all the time. I took out the pcb bridge board, and just connected wire to wire inside. Not my neatest job, but everything is tucked away fine and didn't use up any more internal space than the original. Strain relief, the original pin is through the paracord giving some flex with a bead behind it, and some hot glue to tack in place. No ports/gaps and minimal rubbing. I might go back in with some sugru at some point though.  

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #10,989 of 16,309
Finally put my old 225s back to working condition with some repurposed cable, partly dressed in cotton for the occasion.
And I dissected some cheap ear buds to make a new small interconnect. I first tried an eight part round braid, but that turned out to be a bit too ambitious and ended up doing a double four part instead.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #10,990 of 16,309
Lovely work, did you take any pictures of them opened up?
Quote:
Quick cell phone pic. I got sick of the too-long cable on the DT1350 (since I only use them in transit). So I had a few feet of 4 wire braid of 26 awg spc laying around, some paracord, and a switchraft mini TRS. 

Tadaa. Much more usable than wrapping extra cable up with velcro all the time. I took out the pcb bridge board, and just connected wire to wire inside. Not my neatest job, but everything is tucked away fine and didn't use up any more internal space than the original. Strain relief, the original pin is through the paracord giving some flex with a bead behind it, and some hot glue to tack in place. No ports/gaps and minimal rubbing. I might go back in with some sugru at some point though.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #10,992 of 16,309
Jan 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #10,993 of 16,309
Quote:

Sweet!

For the strain relief in my T50p, I just added an extra layer of heatshrink right before where the cable begins to exit through the cups so that the cable is too thick at that small point to pass through the cup holes.  Since I used 2:1 heatshrink for the little project, I added a thin layer of hotglue underneath the heatshrink on the cable so its grip is iron-clad.  I little bit of superglue in the cup holes keeps the cups sealed and prevents the cable from moving much as well.  I would have liked to use the pins as you mentioned, but the previous owner didn't leave them.

Sugru?  That looks neat!  Thanks!

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #10,994 of 16,309
Quote:

Sweet!

For the strain relief in my T50p, I just added an extra layer of heatshrink right before where the cable begins to exit through the cups so that the cable is too thick at that small point to pass through the cup holes.  Since I used 2:1 heatshrink for the little project, I added a thin layer of hotglue underneath the heatshrink on the cable so its grip is iron-clad.  I little bit of superglue in the cup holes keeps the cups sealed and prevents the cable from moving much as well.  I would have liked to use the pins as you mentioned, but the previous owner didn't leave them.

Sugru?  That looks neat!  Thanks!

Thanks man! I'm pretty happy with how it came out, all in all. Always nice when you get over your fear of cracking open expensive headphones and it all turns out ok. :)

Yah - that Sugru link is the stuff. It's pretty cool. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back