DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #10,681 of 16,309
Liamstrain answers it right.

However changing the entire cable is like changing the substance of your car.
It's like replacing a copper radiator with an aluminum one, both will do just in cooling down the engine (delivery of sound), some may swear that the other does a better job).

I'm borderline between thinking it's placebo and it actually improving the sound quality. There's so many saying silver will improve the sonics, perhaps it's true since they have so much time on their hands and have done some blind testing, then again, all those people are usually the ones who are selling the product. If they're not selling it, they sure are hypnotized by it. (Same with Power Plug Cables)

For some of us, we just want high quality cables that are going to last a long time, knowing that it uses the highest conductive properties and shielding so we can sleep easy knowing that the music delivered to us by the sound system isn't flawed due to the cable.

6.3mm adapter should not degrade sound quality (unless you get some of the crappy chinese ones). If they have a tight good contact, then it's passable. (95% of the chinese adapters i bought for 6.3mm broke within 6 months). For 6.3mm to 3.5mm i recommend Sennheiser and Grado, as for the 3.5mm to 6.3mm the NuForce one is very solid. If your mind still tells you that 6.3mm is the way to go and you don't want any adapters blocking the way, then buy a $2-5 1/4 plug such as Neutrik NP3X-B (My favorite) and solder it on with silver solder. :D

I actually think 6.3mm adapters are a nice thing to have, and that 3.5mm cable output is recommended. Who knows when you'll want to use the headphones on an ipod or other devices. Don't want you to go looking for an adapter :p

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #10,682 of 16,309
You should definitely do some searching, as your questions are common and there are a lot of great cables showcased to help you with making yours. A lot of information is exchanged in this thread, but it is still supposed to be a gallery. That being said, I will go ahead and give you my opinions. Stick to wires between 28awg and 24awg for heapdhones. As many strands as you can get to reduce stiffness. Navships wire has fairly thick teflon coating which makes it stiff and generates cable noise. Sleeving will only help marginally. The braid looks good.

Thanks for the help, guys. I have done some research and it looks as if buying some Canare wire off ebay will suit the task well. I am looking at the L-2T2 cable and using some multifilament nylon sleeving.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #10,685 of 16,309
Quote:

I want to build 2 power cables that look like this... one for my Denon Receiver and the other for my Denon Transport... would be great looking (not that it would make a difference or anything... just look great).

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #10,688 of 16,309
Quote:
How do you guys keep your twisted wires from un-twisting? I'm using canare mini starquad and the two wires keep coming loose :frowning2: I used a dremel to twist them if that changes anything.

It does. When you twist the wires together, you should not twist the wire itself. Using the dremel, you probably twisted the individual wire so they want to spring back straight.

To visualize it, figure that if there was a line on the top of each wire, the line should always stay on top even trough the twists. It should not spiral around the wire once the wires are twisted together.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #10,689 of 16,309
Quote:
Posted in the MH1 thread, but felt it'd be nice in here as well. :)

Dunno how you guys deal with this stuff. I had a hard time enough with Koss ksc-75s earlier yesterday. 
This is how it turned out, man these amphenol plugs look absolutely fantastic. I really regret ordering some of them in black, the silver just looks super high quality. 

The wires are going into the ksc75s, which are inside my helmet. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #10,690 of 16,309
Very nice cable!

Black Amphenols?  Where?

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #10,691 of 16,309
Quote:

It does. When you twist the wires together, you should not twist the wire itself. Using the dremel, you probably twisted the individual wire so they want to spring back straight.

To visualize it, figure that if there was a line on the top of each wire, the line should always stay on top even trough the twists. It should not spiral around the wire once the wires are twisted together.

Crap I did what this guy did at 1:00 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ZecDs0GI4

So how should I fix this? I have already started to litz braid the bottom half of the cable together.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #10,692 of 16,309
Put the Y in a vise and slowly and carefully twist the pairs up with a cordless drill until they are nice and tight. Clamp them and leave them for a few days to retain the twist. That is what I would do.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #10,693 of 16,309
Dec 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #10,694 of 16,309
Just start anew. It's obvious from the picture the wires are under stress. The whole cable will be more stiff than if the individual wires are not twisted. Just take your time and carefully twist the wires together so they have no stress in them. As FraGGler said, the wires will let you know if they like it or not.

"twisting" wires is a misleading term. We really bend them around each others. Take a look at this video, which shows a machine that makes wire rope out of individual steel wires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvPp3BNmWg

On the large rotary machine is mounted all the spools containing the wires. If you pay attention, you will notice that as the machine spins, the individual spools always stays in the same orientation. They stay horizontal. This is done so that the individual wires are not twisted. Wires are like springs, if you twist them they will store energy and stay under stress. It makes the whole cable less flexible, more prone to failure and more dangerous when it fails.

The same technique is used by cable manufacturers to make electrical cables.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #10,695 of 16,309
Thought i'd share my DIY Headphone Cable.

Made it last week.

Consist of the following:
6FT Triple Insulation Teflon/Kapton/Teflon Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper (22AWG)
6FT 1/4" White Braid Sleeve
Black 1/4" Heat Shrink Tube
Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4" (6.3mm) Connector Plug
Switchcraft Mini-XLR Connector Plug Model TA3FSH
Kester 5% Silver Solder (95TIN/5Silver)

Did it improve the sound? Doubt it (maybe by <0.001%, i think i hear it)
Did it waste a lot of time? Yes!
How much did a cost? A bunch of money
Will you ever be making one again? Absolutely

I am terrible when it comes to heatshrinking. old fashion lighter for me. :D
Does Techflex work better for sleeving? The one i use is like hard plastic wires, whenever they rub one another it makes noise that my left ear can hear (grinding sounds).

- Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back