DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #10,712 of 16,312
22awg for in-ears? What do you use for full size cans? 4 awg? Carrier tail-hook cable? 

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #10,713 of 16,312
Quote:
22awg for in-ears? What do you use for full size cans? 4 awg? Carrier tail-hook cable? 

look outside your windows and see the wires hanging high between power lines. You might spot him crawling up there
ph34r.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10,714 of 16,312
Quote:
Thought i'd share my DIY Headphone Cable.
Made it last week.
Consist of the following:
6FT Triple Insulation Teflon/Kapton/Teflon Silver Plated Oxygen Free Copper (22AWG)
6FT 1/4" White Braid Sleeve
Black 1/4" Heat Shrink Tube
Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4" (6.3mm) Connector Plug
Switchcraft Mini-XLR Connector Plug Model TA3FSH
Kester 5% Silver Solder (95TIN/5Silver)
Did it improve the sound? Doubt it (maybe by <0.001%, i think i hear it)
Did it waste a lot of time? Yes!
How much did a cost? A bunch of money
Will you ever be making one again? Absolutely

I am terrible when it comes to heatshrinking. old fashion lighter for me.
biggrin.gif

Does Techflex work better for sleeving? The one i use is like hard plastic wires, whenever they rub one another it makes noise that my left ear can hear (grinding sounds).
- Tim

Good job!  Looks great!
You can try to even out the end of the heatshrink there with an xacto knife very, very, very carefully.

Instead of using monofilament braid like the one that you chose, use nylon multifilament instead.  It is closer to being more cloth-like.  If you sleeve the cable with multifilament while taking care not to leave it too stretched or too loose, it will reduce the noise a bit, maybe even make it unnoticeable during music.  But then there's the issue of finding that stuff in 1/4" size and in white color.  You might have to resort to using a big enough shoe lace, lol.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10,715 of 16,312
Quote:

Quote:
look outside your windows and see the wires hanging high between power lines. You might spot him crawling up there
ph34r.gif

actually its similiar compare to MOGAMI Neglex Quad 2534...

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10,717 of 16,312
Quote:
actually its similiar compare to MOGAMI Neglex Quad 2534...

right, I use 2534 all the time... for interconnects. Sometimes, I use it for cables for full size cans (though I usually prefer 2893). I cannot imagine using it for in-ears. But that's just me (and just poking a little fun) - the cables look great. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #10,718 of 16,312
Is it just me, or are your plugs massive? Pics seem to make them look it. ^^

If you are talking about those vermouth 3.5mm plugs, it is massive. The hole is somewhat comparable to those of 6.3mm's. One may be able to fit around 10 strands of 24awg Mogami 2534

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #10,720 of 16,312
Quote:
I'd like to source something even smaller than 26awg... for my IEMs.  I just built some Toxic Cables 26awg SPC stuff for my CIEMS... and love them, but would like something even thinner.

Mogami makes several with 3 or 4 conductors and 28, 32, 33 awg options. 
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/ultra_flex_mini/

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #10,721 of 16,312
Quote:

Mogami makes several with 3 or 4 conductors and 28, 32, 33 awg options. 
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/ultra_flex_mini/

Thanks... I will try the Mogami at some point. Right now though, I would like something SPC so it would be what I have now... just thinner.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #10,722 of 16,312
Hi,

Maybe someone here might know about this.  I'm looking for the tip for IEM cable(the tip that plug in to iem ear piece)  I don't know what it is called.  I've been trying to find where to buy it but no luck.  (probably because using the wrong word on google search)  Can anyone here tell me where can I buy them?  Thank you very much

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #10,724 of 16,312
going to make a toxic cables SPC 26awg cable with these:

$T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHg,bBQhDGpGlQQ~~60_12.JPG

and this:

$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)qWDBQ(gYFru2Q~~60_12.JPG

This:

baiweitou-3.jpg

(i like using pailiccs, quite big but nice quality and they look good)

Cable is for:

Gonna look good i think, hopefully Frank has the SPC in tranparent, as i prefer it to blue or grey translucent. Still dont now wether to make memory cable or not...

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #10,725 of 16,312
Quote:
going to make a toxic cables SPC 26awg cable with these:

and this:

This:

(i like using pailiccs, quite big but nice quality and they look good)

Cable is for:

Gonna look good i think, hopefully Frank has the SPC in tranparent, as i prefer it to blue or grey translucent. Still dont now wether to make memory cable or not...

If you want to add a little memory to the wire without using a memory wire, assuming that the Toxic Cables dialectric is polyethylene, you can hold the cable so that it bends the way you want it, then heat it with a heatgun.  This will soften the polyethylene.  If you keep holding the cable, once it cools down again, it will hold the shape a bit.  I find this is ideal for me since I hate memory wire, but you do need some sort of bending around the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back