DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #10,411 of 16,305
Oct 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #10,412 of 16,305
Quote:
Electrical tape will be pretty stiff.  I recommend getting some teflon tape.  Commonly used by plumbers to seal pipe connections.  I use it to seal anything that I make that has a shield.  It is also very handy to keep wires and sleeving in place without using adhesives since it seals with itself.  Pretty damn cheap too.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202206819/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1&langId=-1&keyword=Teflon+tape&storeId=10051#.UJGapsWHIm4

Is it flexible? As in can I wrap the entire jacket-less cable with it and still keep its flexibility? I don't want the bare copper sheath to be rubbing on the cloth paracord sleeving.

Would it be a bad idea to just remove the copper sheath?

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #10,413 of 16,305
Quote:

Is it flexible? As in can I wrap the entire jacket-less cable with it and still keep its flexibility? I don't want the bare copper sheath to be rubbing on the cloth paracord sleeving.

Would it be a bad idea to just remove the copper sheath?

Yes.  It retains a lot of flexibility since it is so thin and malleable.  

If you remove the shielding, you might as well do a full deconstruction and braid the wires in the 4 wire round braid you see in this thread.  Then again, the 4 wire braid might not fit into the paracord.  Stick with the starquad.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #10,414 of 16,305
Quote:

If you remove the shielding, you might as well do a full deconstruction and braid the wires in the 4 wire round braid you see in this thread.  Then again, the 4 wire braid might not fit into the paracord.  Stick with the starquad.

PTFE tape is good stuff, but a bit of a PITA to work with over a long length in my experience! Short runs are ok, but on long ones I find it tends to fold over on itself and you end up with a really thin piece of tape. It is the best thing for this application though.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #10,416 of 16,305
Quote:

Great, thanks. I will look into getting some teflon tape. Last question (I promise) but what would happen if I just left the copper shielding unprotected? I'm not planning on using the copper shielding (since I'm not making a balanced cable) so any static or anything generated between the paracord and the copper shouldn't matter, right? Or is the tape more to protect the paracord from the copper?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #10,417 of 16,305
Most likely you will have to tape the ends just to get the paracord onto the cable without snagging.  The copper shield will probably oxidize over time without sealing it back up, but this won't impact anything from a sound standpoint.  If you are going to leave the shield on, it should be connected at the source end and left floating on the other end.  Or it might pick up interference.  I think.  I haven't done shielding in a long time (except for USB cables).

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #10,418 of 16,305
Quote:
Most likely you will have to tape the ends just to get the paracord onto the cable without snagging.  The copper shield will probably oxidize over time without sealing it back up, but this won't impact anything from a sound standpoint.  If you are going to leave the shield on, it should be connected at the source end and left floating on the other end.  Or it might pick up interference.  I think.  I haven't done shielding in a long time (except for USB cables).

Great, thanks! I will probably ground one side anyways. I appreciate all the help. Now I just have to wait impatiently for all the stuff I ordered to arrive. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #10,420 of 16,305
Nov 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #10,421 of 16,305
Hi,
I would like to recable my iem (soundmagic pl50)
Do you know how to solder the mmcx type of plug (like on the shure earphones)? There is one pin on the plug and two cable go to the driver.
Could you recommend me a good quality, flexible cable for not too expensive?
Thanks

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #10,422 of 16,305
The beginner cable has always been wire from Mogami or Canare mini or regular starquad mic cable (and gets asked nearly every other page).  For IEM's you will want to strip out the wire and braid it together splitting to the earpieces.  There are a couple MMCX connectors that are compatible with the Shure socket.  Main thing is that the pin is the signal and then you tie the ground to the connector body.  Have fun and take pictures!

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #10,423 of 16,305
My Newest Project.

UE TF10 diy cable

Spec:
1. Mogami Neglex Quad 2534
2. Miniplug Vermouth Gold
3. Pin Silver Argentium
4. About -5cm than stock cable .
5. WBT Solder
6. Cardas Rosin flux.

Why built from Mogami Neglex Quad 2534? I love good sound with cheap price range. I can sell this cable in low price range without sacrifice the sound quality. the pin is pure diy.

The blue one, look like UE900 cable :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back