DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #10,292 of 16,305
Quote:
So much good looking cables in here...I started on my first recable this evening...I just finished my first test and it works..Now i need to work on the looks..

Guess the cans?

AKG K518 DJ/LE?

used them a lot, same driver, except the holes on the driver are covered usually...

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #10,294 of 16,305
Quote:
I posted a picture of this IEM cable a while ago with a pair of moded DBA 02's attached. But, the huge cable entry into the Valab 3.5 always bothered me. So I thought I would de solder the jack and try to do something about it. So, I stuck a couple of rubber O rings inside the barrel and a stainless washer to top it off.

Whilst the jack was off I thought I would replace the clear shrink tube splitter with a Carbon Fibre and aluminium one :D

I also thought I would post the pics here as no one I know on 'the outside' would have even a vauge interest in any of this :C

LOL! nice job cogsand gears, you've always been such an artist with your DIY, (along with many others in this thread BTW), sometimes I just feel like making popcorn and scrolling through this thread after staying away for a few days and I get rewarded with treats like that to look at! Cheers
blink.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #10,295 of 16,305
Quote:
LOL! nice job cogsand gears, you've always been such an artist with your DIY, (along with many others in this thread BTW), sometimes I just feel like making popcorn and scrolling through this thread after staying away for a few days and I get rewarded with treats like that to look at! Cheers
blink.gif

Thanks dude!

Actually, I used to be an artist with paints too. I keep thinking I should move away from this cable making stuff and pick up the brushes again. Been a while since I weilded something other than a soldering iron to get creative.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #10,296 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks dude!

Actually, I used to be an artist with paints too. I keep thinking I should move away from this cable making stuff and pick up the brushes again. Been a while since I weilded something other than a soldering iron to get creative.

Do both!  I bought some enamel paints with the intention of decorating epoxy connectors with more traditional art.  I like the way my sleeving turned out, but now I want better matching plugs when I am not using wood.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #10,297 of 16,305
Quote:

Do both!  I bought some enamel paints with the intention of decorating epoxy connectors with more traditional art.  I like the way my sleeving turned out, but now I want better matching plugs when I am not using wood.

Thats a thought.... When you say 'traditional art' what do you mean?

I posted a picture of something I painted onto here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620942/diy-paint-job-gallery/15#post_8765002 as it says, not really audio related, but it could be applied I guess.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #10,298 of 16,305
Quote:
Thats a thought.... When you say 'traditional art' what do you mean?

I posted a picture of something I painted onto here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620942/diy-paint-job-gallery/15#post_8765002 as it says, not really audio related, but it could be applied I guess.

I think of cable making as an art.  Casework on DIY amps as well.  But that is am more modern interpretation of the word "art."  I used to do watercolor and acrylic painting as well as charcoal sketching which are more "traditional" arts.  I simply meant painting with enamels would bring a traditional art to the new one that we are fond of.  I didn't mean trying to recreate the Mona Lisa on a 1/4" plug :)

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #10,299 of 16,305
Quote:

I think of cable making as an art.  Casework on DIY amps as well.  But that is am more modern interpretation of the word "art."  I used to do watercolor and acrylic painting as well as charcoal sketching which are more "traditional" arts.  I simply meant painting with enamels would bring a traditional art to the new one that we are fond of.  I didn't mean trying to recreate the Mona Lisa on a 1/4" plug :)

I also think of it as an artform. I thought you meant painting koi carp or sacred geometry ( that might work actually ) or something onto a LOD body. Id love to see one of the great masters paintings on a jack plug..... Hmmmn, a new project!

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,300 of 16,305
Quote:

I too consider it art. And so does this guy: he built a working FM radio built to look like the London subway, also called "the tube". 

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/23445/yuri-suzuki-london-underground-circuit-map-radio.html

So nothing is impossible when you take this hobby as an art. I'll be waiting for your Mona Lisa 1/4 plug. 
k701smile.gif
 And hey, maybe you'll be featured on Daily Planet too!

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #10,302 of 16,305
Quote:

I too consider it art. And so does this guy: he built a working FM radio built to look like the London subway, also called "the tube". 

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/23445/yuri-suzuki-london-underground-circuit-map-radio.html

So nothing is impossible when you take this hobby as an art. I'll be waiting for your Mona Lisa 1/4 plug. 
k701smile.gif
 And hey, maybe you'll be featured on Daily Planet too!

Holy wow!  That is amazing.  I don't know if I'm enough of a planner or a detail person to do something like that.  You might have to settle for a smiley face on a 1/4 plug :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #10,304 of 16,305
Hello friends. Anyone attempting to do an LOD with the lightning dock should have a look at this.

What's really inside Apple's new dock adapter? http://gizmo.do/tlxmOg

It's by Peter from Double Helix Cables, disassembling the dock adapter. I'd actually like to see someone try to make a Lightning dock to 3.5mm connector. If I or someone else manages it, do post your findings here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back