DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #10,051 of 16,305
Quote:
The Chocolate Wood Shure IEM cable:

4 wire round braid of black DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper 
MMCX (Shure) coaxial crimp connectors
Neutrik 3.5mm plug
Custom wood cover for plug and y-split

The black wire actually looks brown since you can see the copper through it still.  I love it this way.  The brown tint goes well with wood accents.  Still going with heatshrink to cover the IEM connectors until I get the proper tools to modify some smaller wooden beads.

You got some nice wood there....

If I had the tools to make wooden barrels, I would never be in the house! Wood accents look great on cables IMO. Nice work.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #10,052 of 16,305
Quote:
You got some nice wood there....

If I had the tools to make wooden barrels, I would never be in the house! Wood accents look great on cables IMO. Nice work.

Thank you!  But I must admit that I did not make the barrels myself.  I, too, think that if I had access to a woodshop, I would never be home or at work :)

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #10,053 of 16,305
Been thinking about another recable of my Denons, maybe with some silver this time... I messaged Frank about a week ago and he said he would be releasing a few new DIY wires this month, including a stranded silver one like his silver poison stuff but without the gold (or the 'poison' 
k701smile.gif
) in it.

Anyhow I was having another look through his eBay store this evening and came across this stuff which looks pretty interesting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24AWG-Rectangular-OCC-Cryo-Silver-wire-from-Toxic-Cables-HD800-Audeze-HD650-/110943852660?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item19d4c4d874#ht_1646wt_966

Has anyone tried DIYing with it yet? I'd be interested to hear some impressions of how it handles and sounds if anyone has.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10,054 of 16,305
Quote:
 Still going with heatshrink to cover the IEM connectors until I get the proper tools to modify some smaller wooden beads.

I simply use a drill to enlarge the openings of the beads.  I'm going to be looking at a few different ways to secure them and then using epoxy (maybe 2 part liquid epoxy) to adhere the bead to the wire/pins.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #10,056 of 16,305
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #10,057 of 16,305
Quote:

You can make a y-split out of any tubular structure including a spare barrel from another connector or just heatshrink.  Beads can also work.  If you want really structured, you can go with a Viablue splitter (avoutlet.com), but those just see so large to me (meant for speaker cables).  Qables.com also have some nice simple ones.

thanks man that were the ones i was looking for!! thanks :wink:

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #10,058 of 16,305
Quote:
 but if you want to see what the fuss is over rectangular wire, the copper is a much cheaper place to start.

...but what if the opening to my connector is round?  How do you fit the rectangular cable through?

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #10,059 of 16,305
Quote:
Been thinking about another recable of my Denons, maybe with some silver this time... I messaged Frank about a week ago and he said he would be releasing a few new DIY wires this month, including a stranded silver one like his silver poison stuff but without the gold (or the 'poison' 
k701smile.gif
) in it.

Anyhow I was having another look through his eBay store this evening and came across this stuff which looks pretty interesting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24AWG-Rectangular-OCC-Cryo-Silver-wire-from-Toxic-Cables-HD800-Audeze-HD650-/110943852660?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item19d4c4d874#ht_1646wt_966

Has anyone tried DIYing with it yet? I'd be interested to hear some impressions of how it handles and sounds if anyone has.

What you need to do, is think about getting some silver for those RCA's dude! And, check your PM!

I have a little rectangular copper, but not yet made anything with it.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #10,060 of 16,305
...but what if the opening to my connector is round?  How do you fit the rectangular cable through?
Small square in big circle... it works. Childhood lessons about triangles not fitting in circles and circles not fitting squares is nonsense... if it won't fit, we'll make it! That's what DIY is all about :D

I'm talking individual 20-24AWG wires here, not a full sized quad tube in a new shape, so your braid is still round-ish, and everything continues as usual.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #10,061 of 16,305
The Clear USB cable:

4 wire round braid of DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper
Gold plated USB A and B plugs
Clear heatshrink

I want to see if I could get more transparency out of my DAC so I made sure there were no dyes in both the wire and the connector coverings...  J/K  I just needed a longer USB cable than what I had been using.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #10,063 of 16,305
The Clear USB cable:

A1

A1

4 wire round braid of DHC Nucleotide UPOCC copper
Gold plated USB A and B plugs
Clear heatshrink

I want to see if I could get more transparency out of my DAC so I made sure there were no dyes in both the wire and the connector coverings...  J/K  I just needed a longer USB cable than what I had been using.

Frag very nice as always! Do you mind telling me where can one obtain this quality transparent heatshrink? What I use for cables is a very thin black heatshrink that even has some Chinese letterings on it.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #10,064 of 16,305
Quote:
Frag very nice as always! Do you mind telling me where can one obtain this quality transparent heatshrink? What I use for cables is a very thin black heatshrink that even has some Chinese letterings on it.

Thanks!  I got this heatshrink from avoutlet.com.  They have 3 to 1 heatshrink in quite a few colors by the foot or spool.  No lettering on anything I got (I believe it is Techflex brand).  Best source I have found for myself since I only need small amounts at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back