DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 14, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #9,871 of 16,305
Quote:
So many people use Mogami here. 

Easy to come by, very inexpensive, very easy to work with... great to get your feet wet with cabling... or to use in general.  Works for me.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #9,873 of 16,305
Good thanks mate, check your PM! Nice cutting mat background for the Y-split :wink:
Quote:
Hi Julian! How goes it mate?

Yes, SPC for the ground. Both the wires are 26awg. The Y splitter looks great - in real life, not in these photos!

Finished my recable/markl mod/D7000 wood cup transplant now on these D2000s and posted them back to their rightful owners, but not before a quick pic for the DIY Gallery 
gs1000.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,874 of 16,305
Beautiful job! And great photo too :D

Sorry mate - things are a bit full on at home. Keep meaning to get back to you.

How longs that cable, and what was the Viablue splitter like to work with?
Quote:
Good thanks mate, check your PM! Nice cutting mat background for the Y-split :wink:

Finished my recable/markl mod/D7000 wood cup transplant now on these D2000s and posted them back to their rightful owners, but not before a quick pic for the DIY Gallery 
gs1000.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #9,875 of 16,305
Aug 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #9,876 of 16,305
New cable for my B&W P5:

Triple wire spiral of 26awg milspec SPC in teflon
Neutrik right angled 1/8" plug
2.5mm gold plated plug scavenged from a Monoprice cable

The stock cable for the P5 is laughably thin and more importantly, too short for my tastes.  Luckily, it is "easily" replaceable since it connects via a 2.5mm stereo plug inside one of the cups.  Problem:  most 2.5mm plugs are relatively ugly, and slightly too large in diameter to fit right without modification.  Solution was a $2 2.5mm to 2.5mm cable from monoprice that was gold plated.  I used a heatgun to soften the molded cover and harvested the plug by desoldering everything.  Soldered on my wire and heatshrinked it.  The SPC I got is really nice as it has a higher strand count than most milspec wire at this gauge.  It still has some memory and stiffness to it, but it handles much better than the other SPC I have used in the past.  The key was keeping the outer diameter of the wire as small as possible since the channel for the wire and especially the opening for it are very small.  Would like to have sleeved the cable, but nothing will fit in the opening.  sleeve would have to start outside the earcup.  Will be repeating the experiment with UPOCC copper in clear teflon soon.

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #9,879 of 16,305
Quote:

Eastern Collective Textile iCables ($14).
I wonder how hard it would be to make something like that

Making it, not hard. Finding the sleeve, impossible. Good priced cable though!

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #9,880 of 16,305
A reasonable facsimile of the sleeve could possibly be found looking at nylon rope or cord.  Paracord and other activity cords can come in bright colors like that.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #9,881 of 16,305
Cheers, it's just over 6 feet. The Viablue splitter's nice, it's got kinda big openings at the top for two twisted conductors though. At the bottom where the the 4 wire round braid goes in, I added 3 or 4 layers of heatshrink to pad it out and then tightened the screws on each side to secure it. It's good that there are two screws because it doesn't leave the wire off centre/crooked like the Viablue connectors do when you tighten the strain relief screw (which pushes the wire all to one side).
Quote:
Beautiful job! And great photo too :D

Sorry mate - things are a bit full on at home. Keep meaning to get back to you.

How longs that cable, and what was the Viablue splitter like to work with?

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #9,882 of 16,305
Lovely job! Thanks for posting it, I was wondering about how I'd recable my P3s, they use the hellishly small-bodied 2.5mm connector as well, one mono jack to each ear, but this has given me hope! Did you change the wire going through the headband to the other ear?
Quote:
New cable for my B&W P5:

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #9,883 of 16,305
The Viablue Y splitter does have 2 very large opening, while the opening on the SC-2 is the perfect size, but the bottom part is too large, so the only way is to use the disc from the SC-2 on the Y splitter.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #9,884 of 16,305
Quote:

Eastern Collective Textile iCables ($14).
I wonder how hard it would be to make something like that

Probably not too hard if you can handle soldering the usb end of the connector.  There are a couple of ebay sellers with nylon paracord of all colors of the rainbow, though I don't recall if they had designs like this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back