DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #9,736 of 16,305
FRANK! I NEED CABLE FOR AN RCA IC! what do you suggest? 
If you want TC, PM him or check out his ebay shop. If you're open to whatever, there are plenty of non-TC solutions as well. I'm not trying to turn you away from Frank's cables, just saying he's going to push his because, well, that's business, but no MOTs can talk cables here on the boards. You're only going to see so much of your options by asking a MOT directly, other people can recommend whatever they like since they're not profiting from any of it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #9,738 of 16,305
Ok, I'm an idiot.  Please help.

I made an RCA - mini cable that works great.

But the second one I made as some weird issue I can't figure out.  Only the left channel coming out of the dac works.  No signal through the right.  But if I switch the RCAs on the dac, I only get a signal out of the right channel.  So it would seem like my dac is busted.  But that is not the case.  When I plug in my other RCA - mini cable, everything is perfect.

I don't understand.  I'm guessing there is a short in the line somewhere?  But I've checked the connections and they seem to line up.  What am I missing?  What's going on?

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #9,739 of 16,305
Quote:
Ok, I'm an idiot.  Please help.

I made an RCA - mini cable that works great.

But the second one I made as some weird issue I can't figure out.  Only the left channel coming out of the dac works.  No signal through the right.  But if I switch the RCAs on the dac, I only get a signal out of the right channel.  So it would seem like my dac is busted.  But that is not the case.  When I plug in my other RCA - mini cable, everything is perfect.

I don't understand.  I'm guessing there is a short in the line somewhere?  But I've checked the connections and they seem to line up.  What am I missing?  What's going on?

There is a short in your left RCA. Just desolder it and bust out the continuity tester. Figure out what wire is what, because finding out where the short is can be pretty difficult.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #9,740 of 16,305
Quote:
so nobody knows where to get pins or connectors for DIYing a westone cable?

Frank at Toxic Cables sellls Westone pins.

They have a recess in the top so you can solder the wire into them, but you need to mould / form your own body around them as they are seperate pins.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #9,741 of 16,305

Quote:
As the organizer of the aftermarket IEM cables thread, I am 100% telling you those pins are too small. They don't even fit the TF10's properly as has been reported. take an old VGA cable and pull pins, those seem to be the closest to the size, but the gold plating on the pins wont be there, which means you may have to slightly flatten them still. The other way is buy a cheap stock cable and salvage pins from that. Those will have the best compatibility.

Lunashops currently sells bare pin sets and plug sets in 0.75mm and 0.78mm pin diameters. The sets with 0.78mm pins should work for Westone-compatible IEMs, the sets with 0.75 pins for TF10-compatible IEMs.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #9,743 of 16,305
Quote:
Guys need help here, I have a Lod and I am OCD about the thing falling apart at the part where the wire is soldered to the 3.5mm jack is there any way to reinforce this say hot glue or epoxy, thanks

Yep, either of those will work. I personaly prefer epoxy. Also, heat shrink tube for strain relief helps too.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #9,744 of 16,305

Took some slightly better photos of  the LOD I posted a few pages back. And here they are.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #9,745 of 16,305
Ok, so my first recabling for Sennheiser HD580:

1. Mogami 2893 Mini Quad Cable Cryo Treated (by guys at TakeFiveAudio)
  2. Viablue T6s 1/4" plug
  3. Viablue T6s custom-made splitter
  4. Cardas HPSC connectors.

Took some reading this thread, time, few attempts and cut finger before this came out 
regular_smile .gif
 Not 100% happy with it (especially with rather bulky heatshrinking of Cardas connectors), but hey, it's just a first one. For those who wonder about Viablue y-splitter, it's just came out like this accidentally - broke ground sleeve while soldering (these plugs are extremely fragile indeed), so instead of throwing away the aluminum barrel, came up with this idea. Funny enough, I like the result way better than simple heatshrinking or even using Viablue's standard SC-2 splitter (which I never really liked as it's rather bulky and heavy-looking for a mere splitter).

Also, wanted to thank all those who replied to my questions in this thread, helping out with building this cable.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #9,746 of 16,305
Quote:Originally Posted by apollinaris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, so my first recabling for Sennheiser HD580:

1. Mogami 2893 Mini Quad Cable Cryo Treated (by guys at TakeFiveAudio)
  2. Viablue T6s 1/4" plugs lovely an
  3. Viablue T6s custom-made splitter
  4. Cardas HPSC connectors.

Took some reading this thread, time, few attempts and cut finger before this came out 
regular_smile .gif
 Not 100% happy with it (especially with rather bulky heatshrinking of Cardas connectors), but hey, it's just a first one. For those who wonder about Viablue y-splitter, it's just came out like this accidentally - broke ground sleeve while soldering (these plugs are extremely fragile indeed), so instead of throwing away the aluminum barrel, came up with this idea. Funny enough, I like the result way better than simple heatshrinking or even using Viablue's standard SC-2 splitter (which I never really liked as it's rather bulky and heavy-looking for a mere splitter).

Also, wanted to thank all those who replied to my questions in this thread, helping out with building this cable.

Great work! That sleeving looks lovely and soft, as does the cable in general.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #9,748 of 16,305
Quote:
Thanks. Indeed, Mogami is very flexible in general, plus nylon multifilament sleeving does not add any rigidness to the cable. Have a very pleasant feel in use.

I used mogami - cant remeber model number. The one with 2 blue and 2 clear conductors - to make a RCA to mini for a friend. I found it less flexible than the other stuff I had used. It did turn out fine though,

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #9,749 of 16,305
Quote:
I used mogami - cant remeber model number. The one with 2 blue and 2 clear conductors - to make a RCA to mini for a friend. I found it less flexible than the other stuff I had used. It did turn out fine though,

It's W2534.  A bit thick for my tastes, but its still good wire. 24 AWG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back