DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #9,708 of 16,305
Quote:
Thank you.

They are Fischer Amps FA-3e IEM's. They pair really well with a good quality silver cable IMO.

I also like your cable job, very nice touch with the wooden y-split!

I have heard good things about those IEM's, never gotten to try a pair out though!
I love silver cable, I'm going to re-cable my MG6Pro's soon with OCC silver.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9,709 of 16,305

Fixed it. 

These cables were from a pair of er6i's I was trying to recable but the pads on those are impossible to hit with the soldering I ron i have and i ended up burning the case and getting pissed and throwing it away. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9,711 of 16,305
Quote:

I also like your cable job, very nice touch with the wooden y-split!

I have heard good things about those IEM's, never gotten to try a pair out though!
I love silver cable, I'm going to re-cable my MG6Pro's soon with OCC silver.

Thank you. The splitter / slider is in fact made from antler - looks very much like wood though.

I really like these IEM's. Really comfortable and great sounding! Plus they look pretty great with the trans grey housings.

I have tried a few different OCC silvers for LOD's etc. This Toxic Cables one is the best one so far to my ears, and has had the most pronounced effect I have experienced from a cable change to date.  

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #9,712 of 16,305
Speaking of LODs.

We probably have to start figuring out the new apple dock soon.

I've kinda given up on making IEM cables. I seem to be having to repair mine more often now from all the humidity and heat in the tropics, coupled with the damage the cables receive from commuting.

I might be progressing into home audio and making cables for home audio instead, and simply buy cheap IEM cables instead of going through the hassle of making them.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #9,716 of 16,305
Speaking of starting somewhere... here was my first attempt at a cable from 2 months ago. This preceded my Denon and Grado recables.

I also like to call it "RCA: A Study In Cable Pants."

Mogami 2534 cable, two pairs of cable pants, Switchcraft RCA plugs, short lengths of heatshrink.

If I had to do it again, I would weigh the convenience and extra cost of the pants against the hassles of creating a Y-split using nylon multifilament and heatshrink.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #9,717 of 16,305
Here's the photo that has been circulating of the rumored new dock: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/editorial-on-a-smaller-dock-connector-and-compatibility/

EDIT: Adding today's story about availability of adapter to connect rumored new form factor to old: http://www.imore.com/apple-will-provide-adapter-new-smaller-dock-connector-set-debut-iphone-5

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #9,718 of 16,305
Quote:
Here's the photo that has been circulating of the rumored new dock: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/editorial-on-a-smaller-dock-connector-and-compatibility/

Man, that is stupidly small!

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #9,719 of 16,305
I'll believe it when I see Apple announce it themselves. I don't doubt there's a new connector in the works, because the current one is pretty ridiculously large when you think about it, but of all the people who think they know what the next connector will be, there are very few who actually do know.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #9,720 of 16,305
Can anybody recommend a source of good quality heatshrinks? I'm talking about nice and deep black and red colors - the ones I've had so far are quite pale and inattractive (black is more greyish while red is actually almost pink, even after heatshrinking, albeit color does get a bit more saturated). So far I had heatshrinks from Qables and Takefiveaudio. Any other good places? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back